I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to tube amps, so bear with me.

Everyone has told me that I need a tube screamer or some kind of boost. Well, I personally think my 6505+ has plenty of gain. In fact, I even have to lower it to about 5-6.

So what do I need a boost for? Thanks in advance!
The only reason anyone would want to use a boost with a 6505 is if they feel that their sound is too loose and they want to tighten it up a bit.
Your ears should give you the basic answer to this question. Can you get the "crunch" you're looking for, just by pumping up the pregain setting.
That said, using almost any distortion pedal, would allow you to get plenty of dirt, without driving the power amplifier into clipping. (In other words, you'd get a lot more dirt, but at way lower volumes).

So, do you think it's a good idea to use an overdrive pedal at reasonable volumes, or just beat up on the valves?

You could also use a plain preamp booster, (no distortion, just gain), on your rig. This approach is normally used to remedy low output pickups. Instead of hanging either high output pickups, or active pickups on the guitar, you put a simple preamp first in line on your pedal board.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 5, 2012,
I use my bad monkey ( tube overdrive ), it almost the same as a tube screamer, and i use it to tighten up the bass through my 6505 ( which is usefull, especially since i play an 8 string)
LOOK ANOTHER GENERIC SIGNATURE ABOUT MY GEAR AND STUFF
Ibanez P.O.S (modded RG)
ESP Horizon FR-II
ESP LTD H-308 (Ironing board with strings)

"A great man once said; "a great man once said""

Extend your range....7s 8s and more
A tubescreamer type booster/od with a tone knob is pretty useful if you ever tune lower than Drop C or C standard, since things start to sound a little bit mushy/spongy on extreme tunings. Though I always keep my od/booster on regardless of my tuning/guitar/setting, I just like the tightness and punchiness it gives to my overall high gain tone. Pretty much 50 percent of modern metal guitarists use an od/booster in front, not because of the extra gain it gives, but the tightness and punchiness it adds to the overall tone.

On a second thought, on amplifiers with spongy pick attack response (like the rectos on tube rectifier mode), in my opinion it's a must to have an od/booster in front.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Last edited by Kuntekin at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by Kuntekin
A tubescreamer type booster/od with a tone knob is pretty useful if you ever tune lower than Drop C or C standard, since things start to sound a little bit mushy/spongy on extreme tunings. Though I always keep my od/booster on regardless of my tuning/guitar/setting, I just like the tightness and punchiness it gives to my overall high gain tone. Pretty much 50 percent of modern metal guitarists use an od/booster in front, not because of the extra gain it gives, but the tightness and punchiness it adds to the overall tone.

On a second thought, on amplifiers with spongy pick attack response (like the rectos on tube rectifier mode), in my opinion it's a must to have an od/booster in front.

I'd say it's a lot more than 50%. Pretty much any band using a Recto and most using 5150s/6505s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Cool story? If you get the tone you want without a boost, then what's the issue?

However, note that nothing about tone is as simple as just "adding" or "lowering" gain. A Tubescreamer doesn't just "add" more gain - it redefines the character of your gain. A 6505 with a TS in front is a whole different beast than just a 6505. If you haven't tried it yet, it doesn't hurt to try it. You can get TS pedals like the Bad Monkey or the TS7 for $25-30 on ebay.

-former 5150 owner.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ +1

even if you think it already has enough gain it wouldn't hurt to try it, just in case you prefer it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?