Kind of browsing around. I haven't gotten anything new in a while, and I have two of my guitars on Craigslist, so I figured now's a good time to ask UG's opinions.

Firstly, for guitar, I'm looking for a Strat. What are your guy's favorite cheap Strats? I'm mainly looking into just getting a used MIM strat, but if there's other companies that make a good cheap strat, I'd love to hear about them. Looking to spend $300-400, most likely used. I definitely want it to have a maple fretboard. Seeing rosewood next to a maple headstock is just a total boner kill for me. I will be using it to play Pink Floyd stuff probably 80% of the time, random rock stuff otherwise. It's the one type of guitar that doesn't exist at all in my stable.

As for an amp, I want something to play classic rock type stuff. My Vypyr is great for my band, versatility & headroom for days, etc. etc. etc.. But I'd like something a bit different to play around with at home. My primary thought is to get a Peavey Classic, and then get misc. pedals for dirt. Again, I want to play Pink Floyd mainly. Secondly, I'd like to get a general 80's tone - Journey, Starship, Aerosmith, all that good stuff. General budget here is again $300-400. Am I right in believing that something like a Crunch Box on top of the Classic could work well for that? I've also been eyeing a Marshall Class 5, but from my experiences with it, it breaks up way too early. Opinions?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A used Mexican strat maybe? A new Mexican Fender Standard costs about 500$ in Guitar Center, so I'd go for one of those. The Peavey Classic is definitely a good amp, I thought of getting that too. But I'm going for the Laney VC30 212 rather than the Classic because of it's sound. I don't have that much experience with equipment though.
Do you want all tube or what for the amp? Are you bothered if it is or not.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
The Mexican strats are pretty good. But actually if you're willing to up your budget a little bit you should take a look at the Fender Classic Player Series. Specifically the Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster. They mexican made strats with american hardware and electronics and they aren't much more expensive than the mexican standards. The specific one that i mention come with locking tuners and vintage hot pickups i think + it has a maple neck.

As for an amp, +1 for the Laney VC30 212. Great cleans and really nice distortion and you wont need any new pedals to get enough gain for the stuff that you play.
A big +1 to the classic player 50s if you can afford. Also see if you can snag a used lite ash strat, deluxe player or roadhouse. I don't know US prices but I've seen deluxe players and lite ashs over here for ~£300, and usually we pay about the same as you but replace dollars with pounds I have a mexi standard and it's solid. Stratty. But nothing special.

Also +1 to the classic 30. Better value than laney over there.
I'll look into the Laney, but they're pretty much impossible to find over here. I did a quick search and there are no used ones in GC, eBay or CL. So that could be difficult to acquire.

Are the Classic Players really that much better than MIM? They seem to go for a bit more (~$500) than the MIM Standards (~$250).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
See if you can find a used MIJ strat from the 80s. I picked mine up for $350, plays way better than any MIM I've tried.

As for the amp, maybe check out the H&K tubemeister? Haven't played one personally but all the demos I've heard sound great. A Vox Night Train might suit you as well.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot about the MIJ Strats.

I'll look into the Tubemeister & Night Train.

Another question: Is there any circuity difference between the Classics? There seems to be a bunch of different versions.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 5, 2012,