So, usually I just use regular strings (.010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046) for my electric guitar, but then of course, they eventually broke and I've used another kind which was very thin and felt strange to play.

Shortly after getting really annoyed I've changed them again and went for the Ernie Ball custom gauge strings (10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52) they have more bass and the sound is 10x more powerful from my guitar... They've also become my favourite at the moment.

They're great for playing solos and/or keeping a melody or a rhythm both heavy or soft.

This makes me wonder what do you use and what do you play?

When these strings go, I wouldn't mind trying something new again...
Be carefull you might need to set up your guitar after changing gauges. You will likely have fret buzz.
Quote by alans056
Be carefull you might need to set up your guitar after changing gauges. You will likely have fret buzz.

I already changed the floyd rose bridge and had to add a new spring. But thanks for the heads up
I use Ernie Ball's "Not Even Slinky" as I play down-tuned 1.1/2 steps (like most Black Sabbath) and I generally play a lot of heavy rock/metal and they suit me fine.

But really, the best thing to do is to just do as your doing now - try out different ones and see what you prefer. Different brands/gauges etc may suit your playing better or may sound better for the kind of stuff you play. It's trial and error really.
Ernie Ball Power Slinky (.011-.050 I think). They are great. They give just a warm and powerful sound unplugged plus they make my fingers stronger
I use DR pure blues and tite-fit strings, 11-50 gauge sets, and 11-50 and 12-52 guage D'addario XL chromes. I have a lot of guitars for different things and pick the strings that i think work best for whatever i want to use a particular guitar for.

strings are a subjective thing, and i think most people just stick with what they know because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good way of looking at some things.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Try D'Adarrio strings. My favorites are the 9.5s.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
D'Addario are very good !

When you put them on they don't have that horrible metallic sound like Ernie Ball. You can play straight away!
Haha I started this thread to get ideas of different sizes, but now I've learned that even though the strings are the same size and made from the same material, the brands also makes a difference. I guess I'll eventually try them... Eventually....
Currently I use Curt Mangan 9-42 on the Ibanez I have set up for standard, and Elixir 10-46 on my VGS Screech which is set up for open D.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
i use d'addario .11's. i get them because you can get them in a 10 pack for ~$35, which is half the price of most single pack set of strings.

they also sound good and last quite a while for me.

in reality some people's body and sweat chemistry will kill strings faster or even some faster than other brands, but thankfully for them, there are probably 100 different sets of strings out there to use. but just try something until you feel its right.

make sure to set up the guitar after gauge changing as previously mentioned.

i have enough credits from d'addario for a pint glass and quite a few more. lol. i am waiting to use them to pair with a second, which is probably 20 sets away.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've had good luck with DR Titefits. I don't like the metallicy sound of fresh strings and prefer the "I've had these on for 3 weeks" kinda sound. The DRs hold that middle ground for a long time before they become really dull, I've had the same set of 10s on my main guitar (Flying V) for around 4 months now.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Devilish Dave
So, usually I just use regular strings (.010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046) for my electric guitar, but then of course, they eventually broke and I've used another kind which was very thin and felt strange to play.

Shortly after getting really annoyed I've changed them again and went for the Ernie Ball custom gauge strings (10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52) they have more bass and the sound is 10x more powerful from my guitar... They've also become my favourite at the moment.

They're great for playing solos and/or keeping a melody or a rhythm both heavy or soft.

This makes me wonder what do you use and what do you play?

When these strings go, I wouldn't mind trying something new again...

Nice set up, very similar to what I use.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans