Went out for a few drinks last night. I hade a few glasses of Monetenegro, 3 or 4 glasses of white wine and campari and some wine.

Being on an empty stomach, my head started to spin a little (yeah, I'm really weak on an empty stomah, plus I haven't had anything to drink in a while)

That's not the problem.

My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky, which I haven't even managed to smell without my stomach turning since the first time I got extremely drunk on it 5 years ago.

The moment I had that shot, ym stomach turned, and suddenly my face was swollen and my nose was extremely blocked for a while. I couldn't stop sneezing, and I felt like utter crap.

After about an hour, it passed.

Is it possible that I have developed an allergy to whisky, even though I don't drink it?

The other possibility is that it was a reaction to the ton of antibiotics I've been on this past week, but I've never heard of a reaction like that, and I was fine before the whisky.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91

The other possibility is that it was a reaction to the ton of antibiotics I've been on this past week, but I've never heard of a reaction like that, and I was fine before the whisky.

Bingo.
Quote by Krieger91
Is it possible that I have developed an allergy to whisky, even though I don't drink it?

What antibiotics are they?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Krieger91
Went out for a few drinks last night. I hade a few glasses of Monetenegro, 3 or 4 glasses of white wine and campari and some wine.

Reminded me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvg-ug9CvE at around 40 seconds
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
Reminded me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvg-ug9CvE at around 40 seconds

"... fuck carrots!"
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
It's not an allergy, it's just very strong alcohol. I've had that with Sambuca.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by JackalUK

But...it's never happened before..it can't be...

Plus, it said it was genetic, I pretty much come from from a family of alcoholics, both from my Mums and my Dads side.

And they said it should last two or three days, it went within an hour.

I really hope it's not that.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91

I say this.
Doesn't matter if other drinks don't have same effect, as not all drinks are equal [such as why a wine hangover is different ot vodka hangover, etc even if consumed same amount of alcohol volume].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I say this.
Doesn't matter if other drinks don't have same effect, as not all drinks are equal [such as why a wine hangover is different ot vodka hangover, etc even if consumed same amount of alcohol volume].

It's very likely that it's that, it just seemed a weird alcohol antibiotics reaction to me.

Quote by slash_GNR666
What antibiotics are they?

Augmentin. I've been taking three a day instead of the standard two 'cause it was extreme dental pain. I finished them yesterday morning. In hindesight it was stupid to go out drinking, but I've had much more to drink on antibiotics than that and nothing has ever happened, let alone a weirdly blocked nose.
Last edited by Krieger91 at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by Krieger91

Being on an empty stomach, my head started to spin a little (yeah, I'm really weak on an empty stomah, plus I haven't had anything to drink in a while)

That's not the problem.

My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky, which I haven't even managed to smell without my stomach turning since the first time I got extremely drunk on it 5 years ago.

The moment I had that shot, ym stomach turned, and suddenly my face was swollen and my nose was extremely blocked for a while. I couldn't stop sneezing, and I felt like utter crap.

After about an hour, it passed.

I'm not a medical doctor or anything, but isn't that exactly why most doctors tell you to not consume alcohol while you're taking antibiotics?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
No, they tell you not to because medicine from a few decades ago would quite often react to alcohol. The majority of modern medicines will not react with alcohol. It's more a continuation of a piece of advice that is outdated.
Quote by Krieger91
My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky, which I haven't even managed to smell without my stomach turning since the first time I got extremely drunk on it 5 years ago

Quote by Krieger91
My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky, which I haven't even managed to smell without my stomach

Quote by Krieger91
My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky, which I haven't even managed to smell without

Quote by Krieger91
My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky, which I haven't even managed to

Quote by Krieger91
My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky, which I haven't even

Quote by Krieger91
My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky, which

Quote by Krieger91
My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky

Quote by Krieger91
shot of whisky

Quote by Krieger91
a shot of whisky

Quote by Krieger91
My friend convinced me to have a shot of whisky

ಠ_ಠ
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Antibiotics and alcohol? Those always go well together.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Kensai
ಠ_ಠ

I actually can't tell if you disagree with whisky being drank as a shot or that I let a friend convince me.
Quote by Krieger91
I actually can't tell if you disagree with whisky being drank as a shot or that I let a friend convince me.

He's saying your friend put roofies in your drink and was planning on dragging your unconscious body back to his rape dungeon.
Quote by Krieger91

The whole whisky being drank as a shot thing is probably what bothers me the most
Quote by RU Experienced?
There's an 'e' in whiskey nincompoop.

Quote by Kensai
The whole whisky being drank as a shot thing is probably what bothers me the most

There's an 'e' when you drink it as shot. Sippin' whisky comes without an 'e', and with flavour.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
There's an 'e' when you drink it as shot. Sippin' whisky comes without an 'e', and with flavour.

I don't know if you're just suggesting all good whisk(e)y comes from scotland (which I agree with) or not, but just in case I'm going to say that depending on where it's from it should have an 'e' in it or not. Scottish whisky is without the 'e', all other whiskey is with an 'e'.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

"Whisky" is UK English, "Whiskey" is US English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

And whisky as a shot? Barbarians!
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Quote by Kensai
I don't know if you're just suggesting all good whisk(e)y comes from scotland (which I agree with) or not, but just in case I'm going to say that depending on where it's from it should have an 'e' in it or not. Scottish whisky is without the 'e', all other whiskey is with an 'e'.

Hit the nail right on the head.
Quote by Krieger91

So let me get this straight: You are on antibiotics and you drank that much last night?

How fucking stupid are you?

Edit: Read through the thread. You didn't even take them like the doctor told you to.

You are really fucking stupid. The doctors give you a schedule and tell you not to drink for a reason. You deserve whatever liver damage you caused yourself.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by doomded
So let me get this straight: You are on antibiotics and you drank that much last night?

How fucking stupid are you?

Edit: Read through the thread. You didn't even take them like the doctor told you to.

You are really fucking stupid. The doctors give you a schedule and tell you not to drink for a reason. You deserve whatever liver damage you caused yourself.

I did take them how the doctor told me to, and I finished yesterday.
That's the weirdest thing that's happened to you? I got drunk one night, passed out and woke up with a dildo duct taped to each hand. Turns out they got the dildos from my Mum's room. I love and hate my friends all at the same time.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
That's the weirdest thing that's happened to you? I got drunk one night, passed out and woke up with a dildo duct taped to each hand. Turns out they got the dildos from my Mum's room. I love and hate my friends all at the same time.

I didn't mean weirdest in that sense
When I read the part about the shot of whiskey, I automatically pictured Kensai doing a facepalm.

Also, why the hell are you drinking when you're on antibiotics?
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah so whole you arm eoddin this stupid forum i am moddin IRL bitch
Quote by cfhdomination
When I read the part about the shot of whiskey, I automatically pictured Kensai doing a facepalm.

I stopped off for one, which turned into another, and then another without me really thinking...
Quote by cfhdomination

TBH, there's no real reason not to drink whilst on augmentin; with the possible exception of getting so pissed that you miss a dose. It's not known to interact with alcohol, and at worst it might aggravate a side-effect that you suffered without alcohol.
Quote by Krieger91
Augmentin. I've been taking three a day instead of the standard two 'cause it was extreme dental pain. I finished them yesterday morning. In hindesight it was stupid to go out drinking, but I've had much more to drink on antibiotics than that and nothing has ever happened, let alone a weirdly blocked nose.

Unless the doctor told you to take 3 a day, then just take 2 a day for the full regimen. There is a reason why these dosings are set. Also, Augmentin is just amoxicillin, it's not going help with dental pain. The purpose is to prevent infections, not help with your dental pain. It's an antibiotic.
Quote by al112987
Unless the doctor told you to take 3 a day, then just take 2 a day for the full regimen. There is a reason why these dosings are set. Also, Augmentin is just amoxicillin, it's not going help with dental pain. The purpose is to prevent infections, not help with your dental pain. It's an antibiotic.

I'm not that much of an idiot.
It was prescribed by the doctor. And he prescribed three a day.

I didn't decide "I have dental pain, I'll take antibitics"

The reason he gave them to me was because I had a a root infection.
Quote by al112987

FYI, augmentin is amoxycillin with clavulanic acid(as an augment, hence the name).
It's unlikely a reaction to the anti-biotics. Like 99% of anti-biotics nowadays don't react to alcohol, as someone who watches QI said above me.

It could just be coincidence? I went out one night, had one beer and couldn't stop throwing up after it. It wasn't the alcohol as my tolerance is fairly high. It was just something I'd eaten the day before or something.
Quote by boreamor
It's unlikely a reaction to the anti-biotics. Like 99% of anti-biotics nowadays don't react to alcohol, as someone who watches QI said above me.

It could just be coincidence? I went out one night, had one beer and couldn't stop throwing up after it. It wasn't the alcohol as my tolerance is fairly high. It was just something I'd eaten the day before or something.

Had that before.
Regrettably, I was out for a drink with a girl I really liked.
Quote by boreamor
Yeah I was also chatting up a very fine lady too. Thankfully, I imagined to sneak away and I never saw her again

Caught me by surprise first time out, so no opportunity to hide it. Plus, some landed on the table

I suppose 1 more on the list of ladies I'll never bone doesn't make much difference.
Quote by JackalUK
No, they tell you not to because medicine from a few decades ago would quite often react to alcohol. The majority of modern medicines will not react with alcohol. It's more a continuation of a piece of advice that is outdated.

A lot of medication interact with alcohol.

Hardly outdated.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by CrunchyRoll
A lot of medication interact with alcohol.

Hardly outdated.

Very few antibiotics react with alcohol; and augmentin isn't one of them.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
FYI, augmentin is amoxycillin with clavulanic acid(as an augment, hence the name).
my bad. it's still doesn't change it from being an antibiotic to a pain drug though.

Are you an MD or PharmD (or student of either)? (I'm guessing since you know the trade names).
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 8, 2012,