Hey guys, I am running a Vintage Mahogany Gibson Les Paul equipped with the burstbucker pro pickups but they just aren't doing it for me and I am looking for something new. I have been looking at dropping in a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in the neck but I have no experience with pickup swapping and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these pickups. I am playing through a Marshall MA50c amp and a Boss ME 70 multiefffect, genre wise I play a bit of everything. Any help would be great
It's very easy for an SD/JB pickup to sound terrible in a Les Paul. Generally they are much better suited in Alder/Basswood guitars.

What are you trying to do to your tone? What sound are you trying to get?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
why not a set of '57s? Best pickups Gibson makes.

Other recommendations:
Bridge: Crunchlab, T500, Custom custom, D-Sonic, JB
Neck: '59, PAF pro, APH1, Jazz, P-rails
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
The problem would be the neck pickup is far too muddy and the bridge has a very harsh sound to it, would like to get rid of that. So brighten up the neck a bit while still keeping a nice bassy tone, and fattening up the bridge with maybe a bit more output and sustain. I have always really liked some of the tones Jimmy Page got when playing his Les Paul, can never get his tone exactly but something along those lines would be great.
Is your Les Paul all mahogany?
The MA is a pretty bad amp BTW, if anything makes your Les Paul sound harsh, it's the amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Bungle Bass
The problem would be the neck pickup is far too muddy and the bridge has a very harsh sound to it, would like to get rid of that. So brighten up the neck a bit while still keeping a nice bassy tone, and fattening up the bridge with maybe a bit more output and sustain. I have always really liked some of the tones Jimmy Page got when playing his Les Paul, can never get his tone exactly but something along those lines would be great.

Raise the neck pickup and lower the bridge. That might help. And if you're set on getting new pickups, then Jimmy Page used T-Tops in his main Les Paul. But a set of T-Tops from the 50's - 70's are gunna set you back a bit.
Thanks for the suggestions and yes the guitar is all mahogany, doesn't have the usual maple top, and it isn't the amp I have tried an uncles strat from the 60s on the MA and it sounds great. I know the original MAs sounded pretty nasty but Marshall revoiced them in Summer 2010 and they sound far better now. And as for pickup height I have been messing around with them for a couple weeks now along with string height and can't seem to get it right. And I live in Ireland so I am a little stuck when it comes to small brands in America, although those T- Shawbranes sound incredible.
BurstBucker Pros aren't quite as sensitive to height as the regular BurstBuckers are, which is part of the problem. Because from the sound of it all you really need is a standard PAF-copy set a bit further from the strings.

If you've got money to burn, have a look at at-the-creamery.com. Some custom wound PAF-style humbuckers with alnico 4 magnets would sort you out. A '57 model with alnico 4 would give you better clarity in the neck and a '59 wind with alnico 4 would give you a good balance of power in the bridge without being harsh like the 9k A5 BB Pro.

If you'd rather get something more standard, try a DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.