Been browsing around some amplification units hehe. Anyway, the Jet City JCA20 Head and JCA12S Cabinet caught my eye, for the price of 700 australian, you get a 20 watt tube head and 12 inch speaker cab.

Any thoughts or experiences. I want it for good old fashioned rock n roll e.g. GnR, Zeppelin, Crue, Aerosmith as well as some funky stuff and a nice clear clean sound. here are the specs:

JCA20H 20W Tube Guitar Amp Head
Controls: Preamp, Bass, Middle, Treble, Master, Presence
Tubes: 3x 12AX7 Preamp / 2x EL84 Power
Rectifier: Solid State
Cabinetry: Multi-ply, void-free hardwood
Chassis: 16 gauge, cold-rolled steel
Output Power: 20 watts into 16 ohm or 2x 8 ohm speaker outputs
Input Power: Multi-tapped power transformer at 100v/120v/220v/240v and standard IEC connector
DIMS
JCA12S 1x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet
Inputs: 1 x 16 Ohm
Power handling: 70 watts RMS
Cabinetry: Multi-ply, void-free hardwood
Drivers: 1 x 12" Jet City Custom Eminence Driver

Basically i would like something that distorts well and is harmonically rich although doesn't lose clarity or become muddy and also to be loud enough to be heard over drums.

ty for your help
Well that amp only has a single channel, so if you want clean + dirty, you'd going to need an OD. Or maybe look at the JCA22H if you want 2 channels (or the JCA2212 1x12 combo if you want to save money and don't NEED a head/cab).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Now this is only from what I have heard so take it with a grain of salt, but Jet City amps are great but do not offer a lot of distortion, at least depending on what you are playing. Rock yes, metal no. I was very interested in Jet City as well because they are just basically budget soldano's so that seemed like a no brainer. But try and play them to see for yourself, I could not find any jet city amps to play which sucked, and that's why I went with the classic 30, which is great for what I play. Good luck.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Yes. That's probably one of the only things the 20w JCA's are good for IMO. Keep in mind it's a single channel, so you can't switch from distorted to clean on the fly (well you could use the guitar's volume knob, but it won't give you a perfect clean).

It can be heard over a drummer, but don't expect cleans at those volumes.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Now this is only from what I have heard so take it with a grain of salt, but Jet City amps are great but do not offer a lot of distortion, at least depending on what you are playing. Rock yes, metal no.

Just to add to this, this is true with with the JCA20. However, the JCA22h can do metal by itself, no problem. I'm actually now searching for a different head because the JCA22h is almost too metal-sounding for my taste. (One of the amps I'm looking for is the Peavey Classic 50 head )
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by bobafettacheese
Now this is only from what I have heard so take it with a grain of salt, but Jet City amps are great but do not offer a lot of distortion, at least depending on what you are playing. Rock yes, metal no.

Well since TS is going to be playing Zeppelin, GnR, and Aerosmith, I'd say he's right on target.

However, you really can't get a 'clean, clear' sound with the 20H. You can definitely get something resembling cleans, but the amp is meant for mid-gain stuff imo, and it does it's job well.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by souperman08
I'm actually now searching for a different head because the JCA22h is almost too metal-sounding for my taste. (One of the amps I'm looking for is the Peavey Classic 50 head )
The JCA22H's normal channel is the exact same as the only channel on the 20. The other channel is the lead from the 50/100, sort of.

The Classic 50 will definitely have better cleans than the 20/22. If you're wanting squeaky cleans with light and mid gain then the Classic is the way to go. The 20/22 definitely does mid gain and grit well, it doesn't have much squeaky clean potential. None at drummer levels from the fact its a 20W amp.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 5, 2012,
^Which is what the lead channel from the 50/100 is based on. Technically its more of an HR+, but design-wise the HR+ and SLO are similar.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

hmm yeah, the single channel is a bit discerning. are there any other amps around that price range.
i owned two jet city amps. 2112RC (like three or four because they kept coming defective and have to ship them back and forth to MF), and the JCA50H.

the 2112RC's were okay, but what do you expect for the price. sure boost it, throw some new tubes in it, etc and it would be much better. the depth mod looks good too.

the JCA50h i got in a trade straight up for a tweaker (the old 15 watters) and it was muddy and not defined at all. i have like seven or so cabs and i tried it on every one, just didn't like it. sold it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Flux'D
The JCA22H's normal channel is the exact same as the only channel on the 20. The other channel is the lead from the 50/100, sort of.

The Classic 50 will definitely have better cleans than the 20/22. If you're wanting squeaky cleans with light and mid gain then the Classic is the way to go. The 20/22 definitely does mid gain and grit well, it doesn't have much squeaky clean potential. None at drummer levels from the fact its a 20W amp.

Yeah, it's not that the cleans are bad, it's just not the sound I want. I actually had the Classic 50 head at one point, but I was a moron and sold it
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
what about the italian amp DV Mark Little 40. I might be able to get myself one quite cheap. it's made in italy and has the following:
Power output (CPC):
> pentode: 1 ÷ 40W
> triode: 0.5 ÷ 15W
Preamp tubes: 1x ECC83
Power tubes: 2 x EL34, 1 x ECC83
Channels: one

Controls:
> Gain
> Master
> Presence
> Solo
> Continuous Power Control (CPC)

it's owned by the BassMark company but i haven't heard or seen much of these. thoughts?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the JCA50h i got in a trade straight up for a tweaker (the old 15 watters) and it was muddy and not defined at all. i have like seven or so cabs and i tried it on every one, just didn't like it. sold it.
Nice trade, but thats very strange since my 100 is very articulate across its whole response. They're pretty sensitive to the tubes they're running, maybe that was the cause?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I own a JCA20H and LOOOOOOVE IT!

Personally, I like single channel amps. Then again, I never use a "crystal clean" sound either. Here's how I use the JCA:

(Note: Knobs only go to "9", so halfway up on any knob is "4.5")
Gain: ~3-4
Bass: ~6
Mids: 6-7
Treble: 4.5
Volume: Set to taste/need
Presence: 2-5, set to taste

This gives me a nice, classic rock-esque crunch. Nothing too heavy, but would definitely be enough for a "70's" rock tone. Then, for clean sounds, I roll off the volume knob on the guitar. It cleans up fairly nice. As a matter of fact, one of my friends is somewhat of a tone snob (older guy who has owned a ton of amps. Mesas, Splawns, Egnater, even an Axe FX), and he was impressed by how well it cleaned up by rolling off the volume knob. Then, for heavier stuff, I'll use one of two boost pedals depending on what kind of tone I'm going for. Or, both at the same time if I want a ludicrous amount of gain for a solo or something.

I highly recommend the amp. While it's never going to give you an absolute crystaline Fender-clean sound, you'll be able to use your volume knob (or a volume pedal) to roll off into a decent, useable clean sound. Where it shines though is it's straight up rock tones, which seems to be what you're looking for. It would easily cover tones for all of the bands you mentioned.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by Flux'D
Nice trade, but thats very strange since my 100 is very articulate across its whole response. They're pretty sensitive to the tubes they're running, maybe that was the cause?

to be honest i didn't maximize its potential now that you have mentioned it.

tubes would likely make a hell of a difference, but i never bothered. but it is like a $500 amp or whatever it may be and i didn't need an amp like that at the moment.

however it did go through every cab through 5 different speakers. it was best with K85's (now K100).

i did forget one thing this is with the 2112rc, i got three 2112RC duds in a row from Musicians Friend they gave me an Orange PPC212's straight up due to agressive bitching after weeks to resolve.

i wasn't overly trusting with the 50h. dumped it made quite a bit of money considering i got it for an amp i started with minimal investment.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
JCA20H is great for classic rock. You can boost it into metal territory. You can also dial in a decent clean even though the one channel it has isn't a clean channel.