Hi

To be honest, I actually didn't last the whole 5 minutes, just about 4. This was mainly because it was just an attack of E-String Palm muted riffs. Yes I know they were all different, but it became a bit dragging. Your playing, timing etc. was perfect, I'll give you that, but I felt you could have mixed it up a bit more. Your solos were pretty good too .

See, I really don't know how hard it is to come up with a full 5-Minute instrumental, since I'm still a newbie, although it must be really hard, so credit must be given to you for undertaking this. The song may still may be in its infant stage for all I know, but I'm just going to say that if you keep working on it, it's going to assume a very good form .

Keep rockin'!
Nice...great actually
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
Quote by FallenDestiny
Hi

To be honest, I actually didn't last the whole 5 minutes, just about 4. This was mainly because it was just an attack of E-String Palm muted riffs. Yes I know they were all different, but it became a bit dragging. Your playing, timing etc. was perfect, I'll give you that, but I felt you could have mixed it up a bit more. Your solos were pretty good too .

See, I really don't know how hard it is to come up with a full 5-Minute instrumental, since I'm still a newbie, although it must be really hard, so credit must be given to you for undertaking this. The song may still may be in its infant stage for all I know, but I'm just going to say that if you keep working on it, it's going to assume a very good form .

Keep rockin'!

Thanks, I do agree that the last part is pretty repetitive. My original plan was to throw a second solo in there, just to mix it up a bit like you suggested. Thank you for the feedback!
Quote by touke
Oh, I've heard this! Cool idea to post a video of it, now I gotta subscribe. Anyway I think I remember leaving a crit on the original post, would you mind checking leaving a crit on my new track?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/touke/music/all/play1098689

Thanks I left a comment but it wasn't really a crit, I will crit one of them tomorrow because im about to go to bed now. Dead tired. It sounds really awesome though. The actual playing is clean and sharp as ****.
A little repetitive, but pretty badass overall! I would recommend turning down the chorus on the solo a little, though. It was a bit overpowering. Otherwise, great job!
Quote by CrimsonShroud
A little repetitive, but pretty badass overall! I would recommend turning down the chorus on the solo a little, though. It was a bit overpowering. Otherwise, great job!

This song was made for vocals, so it does seem very repetitive. Hopefully the vocals will take a little bit of the light off of the repetition and break it up a bit. I still can't decide if im putting on the vocals myself or if someone else is going to do them.
I was thinking the song would be a good back drop for vocals, you have a clear part for the chorus and several variations of the main riff. nicely done.
Quote by ArchDukeOfTops
I was thinking the song would be a good back drop for vocals, you have a clear part for the chorus and several variations of the main riff. nicely done.

Thanks, yeah I just mapped out some lyrics. Ill try recording my vocals tomorrow, if its good ill upload it.
Quote by ThemBones89
Cool stuff, are the the drums programmed if so what software did you use???

Yes, superior drummer.
Sick drums!! Especially for the first few riffs... Loving the monster guitar tone.. Wow.. I just reached the solo breakdown... \m/ respect... Would be a fking solid track with death metal low pitched growling vocals.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1531173

Very different genre... you might want a special kind of herb for this :P
Last edited by Decapitated at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by Decapitated
Sick drums!! Especially for the first few riffs... Loving the monster guitar tone.. Wow.. I just reached the solo breakdown... \m/ respect... Would be a fking solid track with death metal low pitched growling vocals.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1531173

Very different genre... you might want a special kind of herb for this :P

I will check it out Thanks for the response! And I agree the part where the solo kicks in is pretty cool... Definitely the highlight of the song.
Quote by Slayer127
Thanks, yeah I just mapped out some lyrics. Ill try recording my vocals tomorrow, if its good ill upload it.

in for the version with vox.

I've been trying to write some original metal stuff lately, and I'm having a hard time coming up with a songs that have good structures suited for vocals. Everything I'm coming up with just seems to be a background for solos.
Quote by ArchDukeOfTops
in for the version with vox.

I've been trying to write some original metal stuff lately, and I'm having a hard time coming up with a songs that have good structures suited for vocals. Everything I'm coming up with just seems to be a background for solos.

I tried recording vocals, it sounded okay. The problem is that my growls sound more suited for old school death metal, like Death, Pestilence, Obituary...

If you know ANYONE who would want to try putting vocals on it let me know!
I don't care fore dry vocals much, but Chuck's vocals during the individual thought pattern era were probably my favorite of that style. I much prefer those of the the higher pitched vocals he did later in his career (RIP).

It would be cool if you could find someone from the board to do some vocals. I'm knew around here so I don't know how much of that goes on.
Quote by ArchDukeOfTops
I don't care fore dry vocals much, but Chuck's vocals during the individual thought pattern era were probably my favorite of that style. I much prefer those of the the higher pitched vocals he did later in his career (RIP).

It would be cool if you could find someone from the board to do some vocals. I'm knew around here so I don't know how much of that goes on.

This is my go at it:

http://soundcloud.com/j-cub-1/self-destruction-an-attempt-at

Im definitely not a schuldiner, but atleast I tried, right?
The really heavy sound hits you straight away, that's good. Some vocals would definitely sound nice over this, and make it more interesting (it's cool anyway tho). The playing is very tight. Solo is pretty cool, and the outro riff is great way to end. I really like your guitar tone, can you tell me what VST's you used.

Oh, now I've typed that I notice you've uploaded s a version with vocals. They're not quite sitting in the mix quite right for me, a bit too loud. Not that bad, but could be improved, given the rest of the song is to a high standard.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1523807
Quote by MetalCommand
The really heavy sound hits you straight away, that's good. Some vocals would definitely sound nice over this, and make it more interesting (it's cool anyway tho). The playing is very tight. Solo is pretty cool, and the outro riff is great way to end. I really like your guitar tone, can you tell me what VST's you used.

Oh, now I've typed that I notice you've uploaded s a version with vocals. They're not quite sitting in the mix quite right for me, a bit too loud. Not that bad, but could be improved, given the rest of the song is to a high standard.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1523807

I actually based my tone off of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBjpXPaLIh0&context=C4880dceADvjVQa1PpcFO2paHEOezSJo4PlREVneQVpTgtPbcWawU=

With a little tweaking, it sounds great and its free

Any suggestions on improving the vocals?
Quote by Slayer127
I actually based my tone off of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBjpXPaLIh0&context=C4880dceADvjVQa1PpcFO2paHEOezSJo4PlREVneQVpTgtPbcWawU=

With a little tweaking, it sounds great and its free

Any suggestions on improving the vocals?

Ah thanks for that link, looks great! I will download that freeamp and have a play around with it.

I'd love to say more about the vocals, but it's not really my field of expertise. I've only produced one track with singing before and they were clean female vocals rather than death grunts/screaming. I did notice putting a bit of reverb helped blend them in the mix though, that's about all I can say haha.
Last edited by MetalCommand at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by MetalCommand
Ah thanks for that link, looks great! I will download that freeamp and have a play around with it.

I'd love to say more about the vocals, but it's not really my field of expertise. I've only produced one track with singing before and they were clean female vocals rather than death grunts/screaming. I did notice putting a bit of reverb helped blend them in the mix though, that's about all I can say haha.

Thanks though, anything helps really. I will add more reverb. I also think if I double track the clean vocals and pan them on both sides it will sound more solid. I noticed that on another song.
i listened to both versions, and the one with vocals (sounds like an early napalm death) is a lot easier to listen to than without, since the riff gets repetitive (but still a good riff). the drums also really help, cause they sound nice and heavy. im not a fan with the chorus part since it sounds more like talking than singing. maybe add a little more to the solo than just the pentatonic stuff and youll be set
Quote by drunken ninja
i listened to both versions, and the one with vocals (sounds like an early napalm death) is a lot easier to listen to than without, since the riff gets repetitive (but still a good riff). the drums also really help, cause they sound nice and heavy. im not a fan with the chorus part since it sounds more like talking than singing. maybe add a little more to the solo than just the pentatonic stuff and youll be set

Thanks!

Checkout my new song?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUyUzrVEtE&context=C401da49ADvjVQa1PpcFO2paHEOezSJumFfJPPutVVCxy2IVVgGOM=