I'm looking for long lasting, low tension and smooth feeling strings. I'm tired of regular strings that die on me after just one day.
Any suggestions? I only tried elixir nanowebs and they were really high tension. So no elixirs please. Also no ernie ball, they only coat the wound strings. I want the whole set to last more, not only the low strings.
There’s a star in the northern sky
Captivating me as I walk by
Showing me what I can become
Leave behind what is lost or won
low tension strings? what does that even mean? tension is dependant on scale length and string gauge. Maybe try thinner elixirs??
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
low tension strings? what does that even mean? tension is dependant on scale length and string gauge. Maybe try thinner elixirs??

You're wrong. I'll give you an example of how elixirs are higher tension than others.
I was using Fender strings(9-42) on my DK2 Jackson(with FR). After putting Elixir nanowebs(same gauge) on the guitar, The tremolo, from being parallel to the guitar body with the old strings, moved up considerably with the new strings. Figure out what that means?
Also, some brands like Dunlop advertise "low tension" on their strings. And they are correct.
Last edited by Icy_Lights at Apr 5, 2012,
Low tension and a smooth feel ain't gonna happen with coated strings. I've played most of them and they all have that stiff feel. The Elixirs are actually the best of the bunch.
+1 to Jpatan, it's dependent on your gauge and scale length. All of your strings probably didn't match up, you may have gotten a set with thicker bottom strings. Elixirs really are (in my opinion, I'm endorsed) the best.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
+1 to Jpatan, it's dependent on your gauge and scale length. All of your strings probably didn't match up, you may have gotten a set with thicker bottom strings. Elixirs really are (in my opinion, I'm endorsed) the best.

Yeah! I'm an idiot! I mixed up the strings...right. Please research a bit before talking nonsense.
Tension is also given by the wrap/core ratio and by the material of the string. Some strings require less tension than others to reach a desired pitch. it's basic physics.
Quote by Icy_Lights
Yeah! I'm an idiot! I mixed up the strings...right. Please research a bit before talking nonsense.
Tension is also given by the wrap/core ratio and by the material of the string. Some strings require less tension than others to reach a desired pitch. it's basic physics.

Hm, you're a prick. Go back to physics class and figure it out yourself. Those differences are SO insignificant in comparison to the gauge and scale, but, you would know. I just play them.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Hm, you're a prick. Go back to physics class and figure it out yourself.

And they say I'm the rude one
Tension is also dependant upon materials used. If you look on the intenet, you can get tension guides for different gauges and materials.
You really should stop being rude to people who are trying to help you. In this case you happen to be right, but there are far better ways to point that out to them.
Quote by slashfan226
You really should stop being rude to people who are trying to help you. In this case you happen to be right, but there are far better ways to point that out to them.

Hahahaha that guy calls me prick and I'm the one who's rude. I'll come back later when things start settling down to earth.