Hey Pit,

I watched this short video in my neuroscience class today, and I thought it raised a lot of interesting questions regarding how our memories shape who we are, and what would happen if we could change that. Kind of like...a psychological cosmetic surgery, if you will. "I don't like who I am, and my memories are partly responsible for that, so I'm going to reboot my mind and start over."

If you can't watch the video, basically, a researcher finds a chemical that inhibits long term memories from being retained. It doesn't affect implicit memories, like language or motor functions, but it impacts all of your other memories from experiences and things like that.

Thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

Link to video: http://video.pbs.org/video/1790648809/
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

e-married to zgr0826
Yes, some would be nice. It would be awesome if you could still have the knowledge of your past experiences without remembering the exact image of the experience.
If that makes sense =.=
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Perhaps some parts, but honestly no. I've got waaay too much knowledge and experiences in this bad boy to let go of.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
My concern is the ethics of the matter. I think currently, the chemical would wipe out all memories (not just a few selective ones like they do in "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"). For extreme cases where people would literally want to sacrifice all of their good memories just to get rid of the bad ones, should we allow them to do that? Would they even be humans anymore?
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

e-married to zgr0826
Quote by Dosed.
My concern is the ethics of the matter. I think currently, the chemical would wipe out all memories (not just a few selective ones like they do in "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"). For extreme cases where people would literally want to sacrifice all of their good memories just to get rid of the bad ones, should we allow them to do that? Would they even be humans anymore?

You would be a monster if you suggested that someone was inhuman if this happened to them by accident.
No, it'd be as if I hadn't even lived.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Dosed.

If they want to and know the risks, then yeah. It's their choice, their body.
I think they'd still be human. They'd just have to start all over again.
Sail upon the open skies
I think the balance between good memories and bad memories is what makes us human. Erasing that shouldn't even be considered an option.
I'd say no, I like to think that negative experiences are just as important as positive ones, but there are one or two lame moments where I don't think I learnt or gained any useful experience from that I wouldn't mind not flashbacking to at odd times.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
That gif of the UG'er with the dancing man boobs? I'd like that removed from my brain please.
After thinking about it some more, i'd like to have a small, but good memory erased so i could live it over again. Maybe like seeing the ocean for the first time again.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Dash49
Yes, some would be nice. It would be awesome if you could still have the knowledge of your past experiences without remembering the exact image of the experience.
If that makes sense =.=
It makes sense.
ggg1 ggg3

Nope. All experiences have their place and negatives fill gaps that positives can't and vice versa. And honestly, it seems like a cop out if anyone were to do this just to escape some bad memories. Part of the human experience is moving on past experience and overcoming them.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by behind_you
It makes sense.

Yay
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
How would this not be an incentive to do stupid things.

Memories serve a quite practical function, and the emotion that is linked is the enforcer to do better, or keeps us from doing a certain (stupid) action again.

I can imagine it can help with traumatized people, but it would leave gaps for other memories.

A side effect would be that you could potentially go insane, cause you can't do certain things (due to a trauma for instance), but you can't remember why.

It would cause a pseudo-dementia in one's self, which also leaves me wondering if you only erase "the mental picture" and not the emotion (which would redirect me to my pseudo-dementia concept)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Apr 5, 2012,
Hmm, wouldn't it also get rid of all your knowledge? Knowledge is memories of things you learned.. In that case, no, never, but many specifics would be cool.
Not even once.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------