Okay so I've been trying to learn to teach myself to sight-read music (bass clef) for a while now, but I always seem to revert back to tab.
The problem I have is that there are so many tools that can be used, although most are aimed as music as a whole, rather than bass.

Although one day I would like to be able to look at any clef and just hear that passage in my head, I tend to need a more structured approach. Lessons would be best, but due to a large holiday this summer and a lack of money that is out of the question for now.

Are there any books that people would recommend to use for learning to sight-read on the bass, from an absolute beginner (in terms of reading, but not necessary playing) level?

I've found one book so far that looks useful, so does anyone have opinions on it, or have any others they can suggest?
http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1210

If it helps, my aims with learning this are twofold. One to improve myself as a musician and my theory knowledge, and also my musical ear. And two to start to expand into genres that rely heavily on staff rather than tabbed music.

Thanks in advance for any help
While there are many good books on the subject, sight reading is more about practice then anything. As long as you know your staves and circle of fifths, its just about sitting down and practicing until it becomes second nature. I am sure there was a time when tab used to take you a long time to read, but after time you learn to read it on the fly. I know Berklee has a series of theory books out, but I would just make sure you are trying to learn songs from sheet music.
http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy-Use/dp/0793563836

Its like when you learned to read words, its all about repetition and practice. One of the books we use in the studio is Hal Leonard's Bass Method 1 - 3. Its good because it gives you lessons that build on themselves and tab doesn't come into play into well into book 1.
Quote by Spaz91
Get a teacher if you can afford it. Self teaching rarely works.

Believe me that was what I wanted to do, but it's just something I can't afford at the moment!
Quote by Spaz91
Get a teacher if you can afford it. Self teaching rarely works.

I know that you can't afford a teacher, but I have to agree with spaz...

the only advice I could give you is to get a piece you don't know how to play, get the sheets, and learn it. doing this a lot will eventually speed up your reading, and you will start to sigth read slow songs.

a little tip:

A
F
D
B
G

Those are the five lines of the pentagram's notes. the spaces are the note in between. i know a way to memorize that, but in spanish (since my main language is spanish, so i'm learning how to play in spanish).

Rigth now, I am learning this: http://cellosheetmusic.net/classical/b/bach/bach-cello-suite-1.pdf
it's a very known classical music piece, it's fun to play, and will force you to read. you also have some nuances written down there. hope it serves you well.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2