I'm searching for my first tube amp and someone suggested the Peavey 1/12 and when I saw it was 50 watts and only $300 used, I thought I might consider it.

How are the cleans? Is the drive useable? Is it reliable? Does it take pedals well?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
There's a rather large thread on modifying Valvekings.
Basically, a speaker swap is essential.
Cleans are almost Fender-quality if you swap the speaker, still kinda good otherwise.
Drive sound is usable, but not exactly up to 6505 or XXX levels.
It takes pedals quite good, especially OD pedals.
As for reliability, I''m currently gigging one and it's holding up to all the abuse I give it.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Apr 5, 2012,
I think the "Buy a Valveking and mod it" suggestion is a relic of the market 5+ years ago. If you go to Musician's friend and set the search for combo amps between $300 and $500, there are 19 options. Back when the VK first came out, there were three- the Pro Junior, Blues Junior, and Valveking. The Valveking was simply the only cheap tube amp that could do high gain. These days, there are tons more options in that price range, and the Valveking doesn't hold up well to the competition.
I personally like it. For a first tube amp I don't see anything wrong with going for it. I'm tossing the idea of getting the 112 combo down the line just so I can have a versatile little amp for random jams. Cleans are good, drive is very british like, idk about reliability, and pedals work pretty good with it.
It's probably better than the frontman 212r I've been looking at, right?
It's just a good starter tube amp for the money. I had one and I liked it, that's it. Will I buy another one though? Maybe not. If you like it, buy it. It's a fine amp anyway, the VK 112 would be the better choice out of the 3 versions IMO, that's the one I got. LOT BETTER THAN THE FRONTMAN, I hate how those amps sound, really!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 5, 2012,
Valveking owner here. It really depends on what you want, and what you're capable of doing. The Valveking has a number of things that are 'wrong' with it, and often, you will wrestle with this amp to get the tone you want out of it, unless you know what you're doing.

If you like to mod amps, are competent with a solder, and really are interested in spending a lot of time and money tweaking, then by all means, get a Valveking. If you'd like to learn to mod amps, then a Valveking is a good place to start. There's lots in the circuit that can be improved. The speaker is rubbish and a lot of people replace it. The transformers, although common of amps at this price point, are small and can be replaced. The tubes are standard fare, and also replaceable. People often replace speakers, tubes and transformers in other amps as well.

If you DON'T want to spend time and money replacing, upgrading and adding to the amp, then I'd suggest you save up more. In today's market, there's a large number of amps that you can choose from, that may do what you want better and faster than the Valveking.

Play metal? Peavey 6505+ 112 is not much more money, and Jet City's 50w 112 combo is also worth a look. Play a wide variety of styles, but still want tube tone? Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is only 30 dollars more new. Play mostly classic rock, country, blues? Fender Blues Junior, Jet City Amps, Fender Excelsior, Traynor Amps, Blackheart, Peavey Classic 30, the list goes on.

The Valveking was released at a time when there weren't many high gain amps at its price point. These days, there are a number of places I'd rather look. If I could pick an amp again, I would probably go for a Jet City of some sort. That said, changing speakers, getting an equalizer, changing tubes, and changing the output transformer has done a lot for me in terms of knowing how each of those things affects my tone. I DO think it's time Peavey had a look at the Valveking and made some changes to make it more competitive with other amps.

The Valveking amp is unlike most other amps, in that it's not a destination (i.e. an end), it's a journey in and of itself. It's up to you to decide if you're willing to embark on that journey.

To answer your questions directly: The cleans are great. The drive is usable with an equalizer (in my experience). Takes pedals great, both in front and in the loop. I've had this amp for 4 years and it's never failed on me once, either at a gig or at home. I've only changed tubes once. This amp has survived international shipping on multiple occasions.

You might want to read through the Valveking thread, the opening post is a great repository of information, as is the Valveking wiki.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Ugh, this isn't a "what gear thread" I just wanted some opinions on the valveking.

Ok, I'll play.

Budget? -$350

Genres? - blues and rock. Needs good cleans and needs to take pedals well.
New or Used? -don't care
Home or Gig? Gig

Current Gear? - Strat, rp355, and a Roland cube 15x.
Last edited by kutless999 at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by Wisthekiller
I have a VK head into a Marshall cab and LOVE it. Versatile enough, can do cleans and teh br00tz.

I support the same br00tz statement, lot's of people said the VK won't give you enough gain for metal, I say they are wrong, I got more than enough gain out of that amp.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
The more I play my VK, the less gain I need to get the sound I want out of it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??