Hello all,

I would like to buy a Stratocaster (white). I have been playing for 3 years on a Epiphone Les Paul and I would like something different.

I have found this :

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_standard_strat_2011_mn_awt.htm?sid=917e8d3315a2029bcf430b47940656d3

Now I know that the Made In Mexico are not as good as the Made In USA. But on Thomann I have found different Mexico Strats with different prices

1 - http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_standard_strat_2011_mn_awt.htm
2 - http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_70_classic_stratocaster_mn_olw.htm

The second one is more expensive. How come ?

Is the first one really bad ?

Thanks !
The second guitar is a '70s reissue. That is why it is more expensive.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I see, and what does that mean for the guitar ? What does it have that the other one doesn't ?
Honestly, you can get lucky with the quality of the mexican strats. I have one and I love it. I much prefer it to my American Tele and my Brothers American Gibson SG
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Probably made with higher quality parts, better pickups, and vintage nostalgia!
If your local used market is nice to you, you may be able to pick up a great used MIJ strat for as much as a new MIM strat. The quality of MIJ strats is typically comparable to those made in the United States. Not sure how common Japanese-made strats are in Europe though.

And the 70's reissue is more expensive for several possible reasons. Like fatback96 said, higher quality pick ups, electronics, wood quality, finish quality, etc. can each play a part in this. That or because Fender thinks that the bigger headstock demands a bigger price tag, but who knows.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
But are the pickups in the first link alright enough ? I mean, they don't suck ?
The other parts too ?
They'll get the job done, I wouldn't worry about it much. To be honest the pick ups in the 70's reissue probably aren't a whole lot better.

You can always replace them down the line anyway, if you want.
Quote by CL/\SH
If your local used market is nice to you, you may be able to pick up a great used MIJ strat for as much as a new MIM strat. The quality of MIJ strats is typically comparable to those made in the United States. Not sure how common Japanese-made strats are in Europe though.

And the 70's reissue is more expensive for several possible reasons. Like fatback96 said, higher quality pick ups, electronics, wood quality, finish quality, etc. can each play a part in this. That or because Fender thinks that the bigger headstock demands a bigger price tag, but who knows.

Well, is the opposite with the HW1's, the ones if the smaller headstock are (in general) a little bit more expensive, IDK why though.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
^ I probably could have stated that better. What I meant is that because it's a '70's reissue' (not really because of the big headstock) Fender thinks they can charge more for it and people will buy it, not because it's inherently better than a regular MIM Fender in anyway.
I see what you guys mean. A lot of marketing in there.

There is no store selling them around so Thomann is the way to go. I just hope the MIM strat is okay and not have crappy tuners and stuff
MIM Strats are good guitars, I like the Lone Star a lot.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
No used strats around? IMO the mim standard is closer to a squier than a US strat
Quote by lucky1978
No used strats around? IMO the mim standard is closer to a squier than a US strat

I'd say they're in their own tier. They won't fall apart the way a Squier can, but obviously they aren't in the same class as their American made counterparts. You tend to get what you pay for from each price bracket in Fender's lineup.

But yeah TS, you'd do yourself a favor looking in to the used market.
I just watched this great video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaJ0Ws2o9pw&t=170

The guy plays a MIM and then a USA with the same amp settings. Wow it's reaaaalllly close ! I'm definetly going for a MIM ! Noone could tell the difference.

There are big discounts on Fender guitars at the moment on a lot of websites. -50€ on all the guitars! A MIM Standard is only 415€ (540$) which is the same price as the used market
Glad you're happy with the sound. Truth be told, the guitar isn't a gargantuan factor in the quality of your sound though. If definitely shapes the contours of your sound, but the most important factor in a guitar (for me, anyway) is playability. Your amp is what will determine the greatest amount of difference in your tone.
Quote by alans056
I see what you guys mean. A lot of marketing in there.

There is no store selling them around so Thomann is the way to go. I just hope the MIM strat is okay and not have crappy tuners and stuff

My strap gave out once and my strat fell down half a flight of stairs, not only did it stay in tune, the finish was fine.

The 70's larger headstock was introduced when they were taken over by CBS iirc, which took a dive in QC, so I don't know why anyone finds it desirable, it looks ugly.

The 70's has better pick ups and finish quality, also a gloss neck? (that s a matter of taste, i don't like them, gunk up too easily.) the MIM is a great guitar, pick ups are fine.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by CL/\SH
Glad you're happy with the sound. Truth be told, the guitar isn't a gargantuan factor in the quality of your sound though. If definitely shapes the contours of your sound, but the most important factor in a guitar (for me, anyway) is playability. Your amp is what will determine the greatest amount of difference in your tone.

You are absolutely right. I do hope that the MIM won't disapoint in playability.
^ That guy speaks truth.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 5, 2012,