Hi all,

Hope this is the right place for this question, and sorry if this has been posted before.

My strings are far too high, and I'm not sure how to change the action.

Is it nessecary to adjust the saddle, or do I just have to adjust the truss rod?

Thank you,

Sam Feinsilver
the action is adjusted at the saddle

although you'll want to check the neck to make sure it's straight first
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
by saddle i mean bridge

although they're technically the same thing
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
by saddle i mean bridge

although they're technically the same thing

...No, they aren't? If you have a tune-o-matic bridge, which you almost certainly do, you'd adjust the bridge height using the two large screws. You'll also likely have to adjust intonation by tweaking the saddles after messing with the bridge.

Google is your friend here.
Action is a combination of bridge and truss rod adjustment, so really, you may need to tweak both. Things like bridge height and neck relief are matters of preference, what I always do is set my neck to the factory "recommended" amount of neck relief at the 7th fret and then work at the bridge from there. The problem is that if you set the neck dead-straight (as was recommended previously in this thread), you are almost sure to get buzzing unless your bridge is jacked up a mile high. No offense to Epiphone, but their fretwork is not nearly good enough for one to have low action on a very straight neck without fret buzzing.
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 5, 2012,