Hi!

I'm into neoclassical metal a lot, and I've been messing around with some arrangements of classical and baroque pieces [so far, I've done Canon in D, but it's not the one on my profile]. Are there any books with arrangements of these styles for guitar that you can think of/recommend?

Woffelz
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Check out Paul Gilbert's stuff, he has a few Bach arrangements and some have tabs on UG. I particularly like Gilberto Concerto, an arrangment of a JC Bach harpsichord concerto (as section of which is used in the Racer X song Scarified).

Ill list of a few obvious names to check out (although you probably already have); Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ritchie Blackmore, Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Rob Marcello, Vinnie Moore, Tony McAlpine, Randy Rhoads.

Most neoclassical stuff mixes heavy metal with baroque inspired ideas, most notably emulating the sounds of JS Bach and Nicollo Paganini - it would perhaps be best to come up with your own arrangements of pieces by these composers, the sheet music is freely available.

You mught enjoy this article;
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/entertainment/its_the_end_of_the_week_as_we_know_it_part_35_-_why_bach_shreds.html
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 5, 2012,
As far as books go, I have found a series of music theory books that talks about arrangements in the upper level books. maybe this could help you out. They are the Master Theory books, 1 through 6. Extremely useful in learning theory and also arranging and composing, so you can write your own neoclassical songs
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
I dont know any books which discuss specifically this style, although typing "shred guitar book" or "neo classical guitar book" into Amazon and checking the user reviews could be a good start.
I know there are plenty DVDs which discuss the style - most of the guitarists I listed up there have starred in instructional DVDs (both neoclassical shred and the advent of VHS guitar lessons became big at roughly the same time), although not all these guys will be good teachers.
Paul Gilbert is a good teacher, and in his Guitars from Mars instructional video he shows excerpts of many classical pieces on guitar.
LickLibrary have a few DVDs that demonstrate the style ("Yngwie Malmsteen-Neoclassical Shred", "Shredding Classical- Caprice #5", "Paul Gilbert- Technical Shredding" and a few others about soloing using arpeggios that I have in my collection) which can be acquired from a certain piratical vessel.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by Hydra150
Paul Gilbert is a good teacher, and in his Guitars from Mars instructional video he shows excerpts of many classical pieces on guitar.

Paul is an exceptionally good teacher.

and his guitars from mars video is great
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
I agree with the 2nd post in this topic. There's also a bunch of youtube videos that you can go and watch. There's some exercises you can try out that might help with what you're trying to find in the link in my signature.