Is it possible to get this overdriven sound with a pedal through my Mesa RA 100? Or a "not so expensive" amp? I have a song which needs that sound

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
you just gotta turn your amp all the way up.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Crank it all the way, you might want an attenuator so it still sounds cranked but not as loud.
My amp has power soak.

Not so expensive amp like something that could be used for recording and getting that sound (you only can get non-expensive stuff around here). Despite what all people think the Royal Atlantic doesn't sound exaclty like a Marshall, IDK why people think that was Mesa's aim. It's a Mesa with some brit flavor and a unique sound .

BTW, I'm not looking for the exact sound of the plexi, just something close to Mad Season's X-Ray Mind sound. I'm composing some riffs whom could benefit from that tone.

Anyway, I'll try what you guys suggested, maybe cranking up my amp I could construct something different and appealing to what I'm looking for. I haven't be able to do it yet because I'm still gathering money for the cab I want, I tried a 2x15 bassman cab the other day and, while the overdrive sounded good somehow, it just didn't feel right (cleans sounded HUGE and beautiful though).

A question, are those Dirty Little Secret pedals really good? I've never been able to try one and I know Catalinbread's aim on those pedals is to recreate classic Marshall sound. I've read several times distortion pedals are not so good but I got zero experience with them, just overdrives and fuzzes, yummie!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 5, 2012,
Some Wampler distortion boxes are supposed to do Plexi well, check them out.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Crank it all the way, you might want an attenuator so it still sounds cranked but not as loud.

At that volume, I don't think an attenuator would make any difference

TS: Crank it, and stand a few blocks away.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ok, now I'm between the DLS MKII and the Plexi Drive. Still doubtful about distortion pedals as a reliable tone factor. Comments?

Edit: Nevermind, I don't see the point on buying a pedal that I will use just sometimes, I'm not a millionaire and I still need to get a good cab to make justice to my amp. I guess I'll try to crank up my amp as some of you guys said; if that doesn't work I'll just borrow/rent an amp for the recording session.

Thank you everyone, I'm just not thinking clearly today for some strange reason.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 5, 2012,