Hey everyone.

I recently realized that i need to add an acoustic guitar in my collection. I play electric since i have started learning guitar. After doing some research i decide that i prefer the sound of dreadnought guitars with solid rosewood side&back and solid spruce top.

I don't really need electronics since i don't think I'm going to gig with that guitar, but even if i do i can use a mic. I don't want to spend too much money but i do want a decent guitar, i am planning to spend around £500-£600 maximum.

I am currently leaning towards a Guild D-150 and also i have read good thinks about Recording King RD-227 but i haven't heard how it sounds. I going to be using it for folk, blues, jazz and rock music. Any thoughts or suggestions ?
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150
Gibson Les Paul Signature T VS

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Boss DD-3, NS-1, CS3, CH1, TU-3
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
I haven't heard either, but Guild makes a good guitar.

I happen to like Seagulls, personally. And if you can find them, Tacomas (owned by Fender, but currently not in production) also have a very nice sound.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=Tacoma+guitar&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301
http://www.infobarrel.com/The_Tacoma_Road_King_Acoustic_Guitar_-_Best_Full_Sized_Acoustic_Guitar_For_Under_70000
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 5, 2012,
Hey thanks for the reply Danny i think seagulls are a bit too bright for me, I am looking for a more mellow sound. Also I have seen a few videos for Tacomas they seem to be very nice guitars but their not easy to find in the UK. Anybody owns or tried Guild D-150 or Recording King RD-227?
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
I understand what you're saying about Seagulls being bright, but I've handled some that were not made with the typical woods that were quite mellow- not customs, just not commonly made. It might be worth it to check out their website.

Also I have seen a few videos for Tacomas they seem to be very nice guitars but their not easy to find in the UK

Tacomas are not easy to find, period.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Giorgosm10
Hey thanks for the reply Danny i think seagulls are a bit too bright for me, I am looking for a more mellow sound. Also I have seen a few videos for Tacomas they seem to be very nice guitars but their not easy to find in the UK. Anybody owns or tried Guild D-150 or Recording King RD-227?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I understand what you're saying about Seagulls being bright, but I've handled some that were not made with the typical woods that were quite mellow- not customs, just not commonly made. It might be worth it to check out their website.
Arguably, the "Original Seagull S-6", (and the least expensive one), really shouldn't be that bright. That model has a cedar top, in lieu of the brighter spruce. The blanket Seagull "S-6" designation, spans different product lines, models, and top woods.

I saw "Recording King was mentioned. The buzz here has been that they're mellow and bassy, perhaps sounding a bit, "Martinesque".

If ya don't want bright, stay away from Fender and Taylor.

In reality, a few makers such as Fender, are shipping with very bright "80/20 brass" strings. I own a Fender "Sonoran" that was almost headache bright with the OEM 80/20 strings, but a swap to a Phosphor Bronze set, calmed it down greatly. I don't know if the difference is always as dramatic as it was with my guitar, but it still should be quite noticeable.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 6, 2012,
I saw "Recording King was mentioned. The buzz here has been that they're mellow and bassy, perhaps sounding a bit, "Martinesque".

Thats exactly the sound i am looking for, mellow and bassy. But the problem with the Recording Kings is that(as Dave said) they are not available at shops at least where i live, so i wont be able to try them. But i can order online from Thomann, is there anyone here that has tried Recording Kings? Maybe If someone owns the guitar can send me a clip so i can hear how it sounds? LL16 seems to be a nice guitar as well. Any Guild GAD series owners?
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
Today I've tried a few guitars at a shop Yamaha FG720S, Taylor 214, Finlayson OOOR-50G and an Freshman FA400. I think the Yamaha was missing some low end and overall it wasn't sounding very rich, the Taylor was very nice for a lami and the neck was really comfortable(i am used to ibz wizard necks) it was very bright (probably the brightest i have tried) but also had a nice low end and rich sound. I believe the finlayson was the closest to what i was looking for but I haven't heard of that brand before( I've been told that their Irish guitars made in China). I am even more confused now. Also I have found a Takamine EF340SCGN(online) which has some interesting specs but I haven't tried it. Unfortunately the Guilds were not available so I wasn't able to try those.
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator