Hi guys,

So I'm thinking about getting an active EMG 85 humbucker. I've never replaced my pickups nor do I have any knowledge about pickups. Anyway, what I was wondering is if that pickup would fit into my guitar? My guitar is an Ibanez S770PB with INF1, INFS1 and INF2 pickups. Since the INF2 pickup is the bridge pickup, I'll be replacing that one with the new EMG pickup. Does anyone know whether the EMG would fit into the bridge pickup socket? It would be a total shame to get a humbucker that doesn't fit into my guitar.
Last edited by Tharantyr at Apr 5, 2012,
It should fit, but you will need to replace the pots/jack/and have a spot to put a battery.
/rig
I'm hearing terms I've never heard of before. I'm starting to think me trying to replace this pickup by myself is not a good idea. :p
Should I do it myself, or could I take it to a store and have it done for me?
HA. I highly encourage new (sorry to assume) guitarists to do the work themselves. it gives a deeper understanding the construction of your instrument and may lead to a greater appreciation. Just look at a few youtube videos on soldering techniques (you will need a soldering iron and a roll of solder 60/40 lead/tin with rosin core). Take it slow and if you have a camera take a picture of what it looked like pre-op.

Its a very satisfying endeavour ad i think you can do it!
Alright, I'll do some more research and see if I feel up to it. Are you guys absolutely sure it'll fit though? I posted the same question on another forum and one of the guys over there told me I would probably have to do some wood work to get it to fit. It would really suck to spend 80 euros on a pickup that won't fit.
ha...Nah i will fit. EMG's and Ibanezs go hand in hand. If you really feel iffy go to a local stor or call em up to be sure. or, call EMG yourself. theyre in California and theyre very cool with customers. THey make all their pickups to order and have a small intelligent staff. 90% it will fit
Oh, by the way, I read about the EMG 85 humbucker being solderless. Is this true for every new EMG 85 pickup being sold?
You can't install an active pickup in that guitar.

You have a single tone/volume circuit, you currently have 500k pots which are suitable for your existing passive pickups, Emgs require 25k pots, you can't mix and match. You can combine actives and passives on a guitar with isolated volume and tone circuits like a les Paul, but in your situation it's not an option.

If you want actives you'll need to replace them all, if you just want to replace one pickup it's going to have to be a passive one.

More to the point, why do you want to change pickups and what amp do you have? Don't want you wasting your money on a potentially ineffective modification
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You can't install an active pickup in that guitar.

You have a single tone/volume circuit, you currently have 500k pots which are suitable for your existing passive pickups, Emgs require 25k pots, you can't mix and match. You can combine actives and passives on a guitar with isolated volume and tone circuits like a les Paul, but in your situation it's not an option.

If you want actives you'll need to replace them all, if you just want to replace one pickup it's going to have to be a passive one.

More to the point, why do you want to change pickups and what amp do you have? Don't want you wasting your money on a potentially ineffective modification

I figured the stock pickups coming with my guitar weren't that great and I heard about them having some kind of bass boost. I was toying around with impulses but my tone would have a terrible amount of bass (aside from the fact that most of the tones I get from using impulses are horrible thin, fuzzy ones), so I thought it would be a good thing to replace the pickup with one that's loved by almost all metal players and which are supposed to sound awesome.