Sorry I know the topic is very broad, but I just need a lot of help. Especially with my phrasing. I tend to play very slowly and only hit a couple notes at a time. I find it hard to play long lines or even remotely fast. And when I do try to play fast I end up reverting to my same old licks. Also I have a hard time really making anything up on the spot. I tend to just play the licks I know which I think is really bad cause then I'm not even really improvising. And for one more thing to mention my solos have no direction, they're just sort of random. I want them to go places and tell stories, but I need some guidance to make that happen. I just don't know how to go about getting better at improvising. I mean sure practice, but I don't know what to practice. This is just the one aspect of music that always stumps me. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Try to improvise very simple melodies. Really, really simple. Maybe just a few notes to begin with. Then start to accentuate those notes by bendings, then maybe a scale run for this one, a vibrato or a slide for that one. Just really play with the original few notes you have. By doing this, you will improve your creativity by increasing your repertoire. Simple image: it's like you're drawing pictures for every single note and the more different pictures you have, the more you can put in the box labelled "improvising"
What type of music do you typically play?

I've found that learning blues is awesome to learn better improv stuff. since the phrases are really short, you are forced to take this smaller licks and make them count. Give Stevie Ray Vaughn a listen, you will hear plenty of times where he plays a lick thats only 1 or 2 notes and it sounds like a killer lick.

it really comes down to phrasing. start with a simple riff and use very small lick or two and see how many different ways you can play it. some thing like this:

e|---12---|
B|-10--12-|

now just play around with timing vibrato bends hammer-ons etc. or alter the order a bit to change the feel. then you'll start to see that you can easily write a solo with 2 or 3 licks and it will still sound interesting...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Listen to more music and more styles. If you don't know theory, learn it. Learn to play what you hear in your head. And remember, solos don't have to be fast or complex to be awesome.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by krypticguitar87
What type of music do you typically play?

I've found that learning blues is awesome to learn better improv stuff. since the phrases are really short, you are forced to take this smaller licks and make them count. Give Stevie Ray Vaughn a listen, you will hear plenty of times where he plays a lick thats only 1 or 2 notes and it sounds like a killer lick.

it really comes down to phrasing. start with a simple riff and use very small lick or two and see how many different ways you can play it. some thing like this:

e|---12---|
B|-10--12-|

now just play around with timing vibrato bends hammer-ons etc. or alter the order a bit to change the feel. then you'll start to see that you can easily write a solo with 2 or 3 licks and it will still sound interesting...
It's great to see advice in this thread, because i need it too, I'm having a very difficult time incorporating my comfort level of piano improvising into guitar (I'm not good at piano, its just that finding note-finding is easier). I usually blandly do runs and boring sounding things whenever I attempt in guitar, however this one I find very helpful for me, to get just a few few notes, then add stuff to it, slides and things. and get as creative as possible. Thanks kryptic. c:. Another advice I heard from someone, which I'm currently trying to do too when I practice impr, is sing a short phrase in your head, then imitate it in guitar.