Hi all, I'm stuck between deciding if I should get the new 2012 les Paul standard or a used Gibson firebird lll. I like the fact that the firebird has a tremolo on it, but at the same time time the new les Paul is a lot more versatile than the 2008 one, as it has burst bucker pickups in it. My playing styles are blues, rock, and country.
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
If i may suggest....The ownder of Gibson is kind of a nutball. Their newer guitars have gone down in quality. If i had the money for a new les paul id try to get a decent deal on an older one maybe late 80's even if its a little beat up, youll most likely find the wood quality has more vibe....but thats just me againt newer guitars and their lower standards
Quote by theguitarplayin
aso you can get burstbuckers anytime and throw em in yourself. May i ask why a newer les paul is on your wish list?

Well it's my first les Paul and I want to buy new.
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
Quote by theguitarplayin
Im not tryin to put ya down, brother. Just curious.

Ik its a lot of $ and I just want to spend it right.
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
You have to buy a Les Paul new, but you'll but a Firebird used? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Neither does the idea that Burstbuckers are more versatile than the Firebird mini-buckers.

Sorry, but none of your decisions make any sense to me. If you want to spend money right, used is the way to go. You can get great deals on used Les Pauls all day long instead of paying hundreds more for a new one.
completely understandable. Thatsthe only reason why suggested an older guitar. Im just giving fair warning. Ive worked in music retail and have had the opportunity to play a ton of newer gibson models. They dont compare to older even late 90s models but buying new makes her yours, so i understand. just make sure you ge a chance to play it before you buy it
Quote by Roc8995
You have to buy a Les Paul new, but you'll but a Firebird used? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Neither does the idea that Burstbuckers are more versatile than the Firebird mini-buckers.

Sorry, but none of your decisions make any sense to me. If you want to spend money right, used is the way to go. You can get great deals on used Les Pauls all day long instead of paying hundreds more for a new one.

Well I can't afford the firebird new that's why I would buy a used one, the the les Paul new I can afford.
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
Quote by Roc8995

Hey Roc,
Ever been to Taste of Madison?
Quote by theguitarplayin
Yea i think you should at least take a trip to the nearest vintage guitar store and play a few oldr les pauls. then check out the newer ones. at least give em both a shot. plus vintage stores are more likely to negotiate on price than retail stores

Do u sell vintage guitars?
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
Quote by ejorgy1
Do u sell vintage guitars?

ha..uh..nah. I dont. Why? am i coming across like a know-it-all douche? i truly didnt mean to. Im simply in the business and familiar with the market and how these shops work. i buy from vintage shops as much as i can cause my 77 strat sounds better and plays better than any american strat made in thelast 10 years (yes its subjective) and i paid 800 bucks for it
Quote by theguitarplayin
ha..uh..nah. I dont. Why? am i coming across like a know-it-all douche? i truly didnt mean to. Im simply in the business and familiar with the market and how these shops work. i buy from vintage shops as much as i can cause my 77 strat sounds better and plays better than any american strat made in thelast 10 years (yes its subjective) and i paid 800 bucks for it

No I didn't mean it like that lol. I saw there was a website under each of your comments so I was wondering if you sell vintage guitars at your store. Sorry for the misunderstanding lol. Your actually the most helpful person I've talked to. Is there anywhere u would recommend buying vintage guitars?
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
Last edited by ejorgy1 at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by theguitarplayin
oh yes. i realized i shouldve changed my sig. i dont work there anymore. and no it was a retail store and sucked because there WERE NO vintage guitars. i live in LA so im really only famiiar with this area. where do you hail from?

Upstate ny, is there any good online retailers u know of?
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
Last edited by ejorgy1 at Apr 5, 2012,
Ha tthen youll have to do a little local reasearch! hah But if may suggest:

Vintage shops can be really ..."cliquey". THeyll screw over anyone they dont think is worthy. So go in . chat. compliment the shop. talk guitars. dont go in and start name droppin zeppeln, and othe classic rock bands. ASk about what kinda pauls they have. and never mentiojn price. Guys who go into stores asking price after price will never buy anything and shop ownders know this. You may not find anythingright away ut try to exchange info with what youre intersed in and try to keep in touch. the better the friendship the more likely he will give you a smokin deal becuse what they really want is repeat business and referrels...tell them youll tell your friends about the place and make sure you dont play classic rock standards on guitar while demoin. Keep it improvistationl or if anything b side songs...haha i kno thissounds rediculous ut ive done a lot of social experimenting
Whatever you do do not buy online. you never know what kind of guitr youll get. rememebr theyre like snowflakes. no two are alike. specially if youre droppin 2-3k on a guitar. always play them. and make friends with you salesman. trust him before you buy and make syure to get his info should any questions arise. a good saleman ( i was one of the but i hate selling ) will go above and beyond to get you any info on your purcashe and keep you as informed as possible
Quote by theguitarplayin
Ha tthen youll have to do a little local reasearch! hah But if may suggest:

Vintage shops can be really ..."cliquey". THeyll screw over anyone they dont think is worthy. So go in . chat. compliment the shop. talk guitars. dont go in and start name droppin zeppeln, and othe classic rock bands. ASk about what kinda pauls they have. and never mentiojn price. Guys who go into stores asking price after price will never buy anything and shop ownders know this. You may not find anythingright away ut try to exchange info with what youre intersed in and try to keep in touch. the better the friendship the more likely he will give you a smokin deal becuse what they really want is repeat business and referrels...tell them youll tell your friends about the place and make sure you dont play classic rock standards on guitar while demoin. Keep it improvistationl or if anything b side songs...haha i kno thissounds rediculous ut ive done a lot of social experimenting

Haha thanks for the help! I guess I'll have to look around cause my neighborhood guitar center I can already tell ain't gonna give me any great deal.
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
Yeah, the only reason I would buy a new guitar at this point would be because the used market in my town isn't all that great and I'm usually limited to about 500 or less, meaning it's mostly lowish end epiphones for me. Although, I would also maybe consider buying a new gibson, if i had the money, only if it were like a historic reissue. 59s are absolutely great guitars!
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
IMO you have to be a little more careful if buying an older instrument. You want to make sure all the electronics still work properly and be sure to look for things like a bowed neck and fret wear. That may be common sense to most but still worth mentioning.
Quote by hotrodney71
IMO you have to be a little more careful if buying an older instrument. You want to make sure all the electronics still work properly and be sure to look for things like a bowed neck and fret wear. That may be common sense to most but still worth mentioning.

This is a 5 year old thread man.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by hotrodney71
H4T3BR33D3R Oops, forgot to check the date. I don't know why these ancient threads pop up on the recommend threads list.

Yeah its a bit of an issue. Happens on my recommended as well
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.