I realllllllllllly dig the looks of this Les Paul.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/msg/2907688090.html

I really want to get an older, beat up one, just because I love the guitars, and $900 is a little out of my price range but is this a good guitar?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Very interesting....I've never heard of a Les Paul with a neck that can be desribed like the Ibanez Wizard neck, those things are like toothpicks! And the fact that it weighs less than a strat is also weird. But everything else sounds good about it. Don't know if I'd pay $900 for it, but then again I'm cheap. If it is indeed a real Gibson, that is probably a really good deal for it.
Gibsons, especially one that's seen some use, are unpredictable. It could be a great guitar, it could be crap, or it could be completely uninteresting and average. Gibsons vary a lot. Being second hand means you can't be sure what condition it's in until you try it. Add both together and you've got an obvious answer: go try it out, there is no way to guess what it is like online.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Gibsons, especially one that's seen some use, are unpredictable. It could be a great guitar, it could be crap, or it could be completely uninteresting and average. Gibsons vary a lot. Being second hand means you can't be sure what condition it's in until you try it. Add both together and you've got an obvious answer: go try it out, there is no way to guess what it is like online.

I'm not really a guitar enthusiast, I've played my SG and I like it but I'm not going to be able to tell if it's a crap or average gibson.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Do you have hands? Then you can tell if it's good.

The variation in Gibson isn't about quality, it's about suitability. What one person calls a slim neck, another calls average or fat. What one person calls light, another might say is heavy. Every guitar by every brand varies a little, but since more of a Gibson is finished and fitted by hand than other brands they vary even more than most. The ''good'' Gibson is the one that fits your hand. You may find this one fits you right away; alternatively you could play a hundred Gibsons and not find one that fits you.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
the studio lites were ok guitars when they came out (back in the early 90s i think). they are lighter and more like say a PRS Singlecut. i remember playing a couple back then and thought they were alright. they don't have the same sound as a full sized LP though.
for $900 bucks you could damn near get a new one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-studio-50s-tribute-electric-guitar-with-humbucker-pickups

I don't know if there's anything special about Gibson's from the 90s

from wikipedia:

In the mid 1990s Gibson produced the Studio Lite and Studio Lite M-III. The Lite models were produced with balsa wood (referred to as "chromyte" in advertisements) portions of the body to reduce the guitar's weight, responding to some players' complaints about the heaviness of a standard Les Paul after several hours of playing. The Studio Lite M-III was produced with a new pickup configuration: two humbuckers with a single coil in the middle. The pickup selector switch gave five single-coil options in the "up" position, and four humbucker combinations in the "down" position, plus an "off" position. The name M-III refers to the Gibson M-III model, which was a Superstrat-style guitar, for which these electronics were originally developed
Last edited by mrbreeze317 at Apr 6, 2012,
Don't think it's been broken

Don't go for it. I'd say he's not a good seller if it just said "balsa wood"^, and the seller claims it to be one-piece mahogany, (You don't even ever want a one-piece guitar. It'll warp and it isn't practical, which is why the "best" option is a two-piece body. Look for a regular Studio Les Paul that isn't chambered. You'd probably like that better.
They used to make those guitars in the '90s. I almost bought one back in the early '00s. They were cool guitars, they actually are really lightweight, the center has a different type of wood to relieve weight. And when they came out, they were the only les paul studios with a sunburst finish. I don't know if I would pay $900 for one, but $700 or so, I'd definitely think about it. It should definitely be a great guitar regardless, the Gibsons made in the '90s are generally rock solid.

The neck is not like a Wizard neck. A Wizard neck is flat, a les paul neck, even a thin one is still quite round.

Quote by Myaccount876
Don't go for it. I'd say he's not a good seller if it just said "balsa wood"^, and the seller claims it to be one-piece mahogany, (You don't even ever want a one-piece guitar. It'll warp and it isn't practical, which is why the "best" option is a two-piece body. Look for a regular Studio Les Paul that isn't chambered. You'd probably like that better.
Did you just make all that up or something?
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by al112987

The neck is not like a Wizard neck. A Wizard neck is flat, a les paul neck, even a thin one is still quite round.
Not always. Body shape does not dictate the neck contour, thickness, taper or width. You can get LP-shaped guitars with necks similar to Ibanez Wizard profiles.

That said, Gibson sure as hell have never made any production guitars with a neck like that.

Quote by Myaccount876
and the seller claims it to be one-piece mahogany, (You don't even ever want a one-piece guitar. It'll warp and it isn't practical, which is why the "best" option is a two-piece body.
What in the name of buggery is this cockmockery? Just how big was the pile of coke you snorted before you wrote this delightful piece of abstract fiction?