Hey so I am considering buying this guitar. My only worry is I can't find that much information about it online. It would cost a decent chunk of money out of pocket and probably me trading in one of my guitars. Is it worth it? I played it and REALLY liked it. But considering its Mexican made I know there can be some faults with production quality - does that make the product not worth the close to 1k it cost?

Fwiw I play rock, blues rock, classic rock, funk rock, and pretty much everything in between but I really wasn't looking for a new guitar when I stumbled upon this. My favorite bands are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Clapton, SRV, Guns N Roses, and Metallica.

Also I am playing out of an Orange 12w Crush and/or a Peavey Valveking depending on location.
Last edited by Mem101 at Apr 5, 2012,
I wouldn't bother with it unless you really want a SH Tele without having to mod anything, and if you really want the worn look. Most of the cost in the Road Worns is in the worn half-nitro finish.

Take a look at the Classic Player and MIM Deluxe lines. They have better hardware/electronics than the Road Worns but are usually a little bit cheaper since they have the standard, new-looking poly finish. Or consider going second hand. You can usually find second hand MIA Standards and even the occasional American Deluxe for the cost of a new Road Worn guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Would you say that the cost for a MIA standard/deluxe is worth paying over a MIM for a tele (I know what it brings for a strat but am not as familiar with the telecasters)?
Going MIA is always the best way to go, if you can afford it (which is fairly easy if you buy second hand). Pickups, pots, tuners, bridges and nuts can always be changed; wood quality and the basic construction can not be upgraded. MIA guitars, even the plain Standard models, have significantly better wood than the MIM ones and are going to be made and fitted to a much higher standard. That is where most of their value is. If you can find a good deal on a second hand MIA then there's no reason to buy a MIM guitar. Used MIA gives you more guitar for your money.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I will obviously have to try a few but I can get a new MIA telecaster for $30 more than the road worn. I definitely see what your saying about wood quality. One problem I have with my current strat is its sustain is terrible. How versatile will the telecaster be with a single coil in both positions?

edit: I am not asking for 3-4 guitars in one. I understand what I am buying. But will it handle funk rock nicely (that is kind of why I want to buy it).
Last edited by Mem101 at Apr 5, 2012,
Funk rock? A Telecaster? One word: Prince.

If you're worried about versatility, all I can say is I use one Tele for rock, blues, punk and pop and I've got a second for grunge and metal. Obviously they're also commonly used for country too. There's not really any style that a Tele can't fit into.

The only things the Strat has that the Tele doesn't is a vibrato (great if you use it, a sustain-killing tone-zapper if you don't) and the middle pickup (of questionable use; the Tele's middle position sounds very close to the neck + middle setting on a Strat anyway, and how often do you use a Strat middle pickup by itself?). Even then, you can get Teles with vibratos and you can get them with middle pickups.

And like I said, you can always change the pickups later if you want a different tone. You can get humbuckers that fit in the size of a normal Tele pickup (either bridge or neck), and the neck position is almost always routed for at least a minibucker anyway. Most MIA Fenders are actually routed for a neck humbucker and a middle single coil, even if the guitar only comes with a neck single coil stock.
Awesome. Thanks a ton man. You've helped me out big time twice now. I guess I'll go to the store sometime next week and try a bunch out and buy what I like best. Cheers. I'll post pics eventually.
Aging/wearing a guitar yourself is easy as shit. All you need is steel wool, maybe a power sander with low grade paper, and maybe a chain to beat the guitar with. You can take off all the metal, rough it up with the steel wool and make it look like the shine eroded with sweat years ago, rub the laquer off the guitar, maybe even some paint down to the wood... I can only imagine the price difference between a custom aged Tele and a stock Tele, and a piece of steel wool.
For what's very close to the same price you can get an American Special Telecaster that will have better parts and construction all around.

Also, aging/relicing a guitar isn't just THAT easy. You can seriously mess up your guitar if you don't research and practice.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It was simple as making Kraft Dinner for me...now my guitar looks like it's been on the road for twenty years! I don't know of the effect to the value of it.....but I don't care about that. If you do, I wouldn't reccommend aging it.
Yes! Although recently, I took off the bridge pickup cover and flipped the neck pickup...

Sorry to spam up your thread a bit! Just goes to show what a piece of steel wool and sandpaper can do. I guess they use a brightly coloured undercoat so they can see where they've missed a spot while painting it. It sure turns heads!
Last edited by head-case at Apr 6, 2012,
Was that top dyed blue flame maple that got painted over with flat black, or is that maple a veneer so thin you sanded through it to a black under layer? I... what the hell is going on with that guitar!?

Though straight-up, that doens't look ''worn''. That looks exactly like someone just took a piece of sandpaper to their guitar.
Well yeah, it does not look natural...Maybe I should take a shower with it and then bury it in my backyard for a year. Also, that's wax melted all over the guitar, haha. It was first all black, with clear laquer. Then it was matte black for a while. Then there was some green poking through and I got curious....it got brighter and bluer with each sanding. THEN the wood started to show.
Last edited by head-case at Apr 6, 2012,
Well the blue looks pretty nice, I'd take all the black off if I were you. I'd be curious to know why they covered up the flame.
I got lazy towards the end and kind of wanted it to be visible what the original paint was. I'm kind of going for a "mutated freak" look. Hence leaving the wax all over it! It looks DISEASED.
Who knows why Epiphone does the things they do. They give Grover tuners to the plain black standards, and shitty plastic tuners to the ones with nice finishes. I bet if I keep removing paint they'll be some aesthetic imperfection being hidden by it. Although from what's visible, it seems like a clean top to me!
Anyway, TS, as shown by the pictures above me, you can't just take sandpaper and steel wool to a guitar to relic it. Research before you modify.
you can have places relic your guitar for you as well, for a price though. I'd suggest either getting a MIM or MIA instead of the road worn. Just because you don't want a relic thats the exact same as everyone else that bought a road worn tele.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Wow, it could have been cool, but you ruined it.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Hahaha, your reaction is just what I'm going for! It looks like a Les Paul that got pulled out of the Chernobyl disaster. I guess mine is not a good example of a luthier-reliced guitar, because that's not the look I was going for...But it is evidence that with some time and attention, it would not be hard to buff off some shine, rub off some paint in areas that receive the most wear, remove the lustre of the hardware, etc. I just wouldn't be able to pay for that. It'd be like buying a pair of pre-ripped jeans for $350.
Buy a real used vintage american telecaster that gives the real look of an used guitar + it's much cheaper + will sound better and would be really aged, so a little more dry wood will be better.
My opinion on relicing new guitars: gig the thing every night for 20 years you lazy bastards
Quote by seljer
My opinion on relicing new guitars: gig the thing every night for 20 years you lazy bastards

This is the way to go! Unfortunately, half of UG users have never played outside their bedroom and polish their guitars 20 mins a night. Sigh... Guitars aren't children! They need sweat and beer and dents to live!
Quote by head-case
Hahaha, your reaction is just what I'm going for! It looks like a Les Paul that got pulled out of the Chernobyl disaster. I guess mine is not a good example of a luthier-reliced guitar, because that's not the look I was going for...But it is evidence that with some time and attention, it would not be hard to buff off some shine, rub off some paint in areas that receive the most wear, remove the lustre of the hardware, etc. I just wouldn't be able to pay for that. It'd be like buying a pair of pre-ripped jeans for $350.

If you went for a disaster, then you got it. Don't go around telling people "relicing is easy!" when it's very obvious you did a botch job. What you CAN do is go around telling people "doing a botch job is easy!"

Quote by head-case
This is the way to go! Unfortunately, half of UG users have never played outside their bedroom and polish their guitars 20 mins a night. Sigh... Guitars aren't children! They need sweat and beer and dents to live!

Maybe YOUR guitars, sure. I like to keep mine in good condition, thanks.