Im looking into getting some pedals to experiment with and i was wondering what suggestions the UG community can offer.

Im looking for these types of pedals:

A distortion
A Flanger
An Octave
A delay

So far ive only tried BOSS pedals as they tend to be the most readily available in stores along with some EHX ones. Anyone have suggestions as to which would give the best possible sound for each pedal type i posted?
For experimentation I actually recommend a multi-effects thing like the me-70. It may seem pricey but it's a great way to experiment and see what kinds of effects you like and how best to use them, then you can get the 'real' versions of your favourites later. The me-70 by no means sounds bad though; it's a great sounding and very versatile unit.
Good suggestion, however, at the same time im also trying to find out which brands make better pedals etc. Though i do have a friend who owns a variation of an BOSS ME board so i suppose i can try out his.
it all depends on the types of sounds your looking for. every brand has their own niche that they really excel in.

personally, I'm a huge fan of mxr for durable, good sounding, simple to use pedals

tc electronics is pretty kickass if your willing to put a little more cash into them. super versatile and have a thing called toneprint that lets you use ur favorite artists presets for that pedal

ehx is something i'd use more for classic/eerie effects. their distortion/OD is good for everything from classic rock to metal

boss is ok for some stuff like modulation and effects but i would never buy a dirt pedal from them. i've always had bad luck with them

but in the end, always check out used stuff at ur local store or craigslist or watever. u get killer deals on some stuff. if it looks cool, try it out.
+1 on the multifx. My personal fav is the ME50. Definitely check out the zoom G3! $200 gets you 100 different fx(20 usable), a looper, drum patterns/metronome, an interface, etc all in one lil box with one plug. It's very easy to use too, no crazy menus, simple. The "drum machine" and looper make it hard to put down. Buy a G3!
Quote by andrerist
it all depends on the types of sounds your looking for. every brand has their own niche that they really excel in.

personally, I'm a huge fan of mxr for durable, good sounding, simple to use pedals

tc electronics is pretty kickass if your willing to put a little more cash into them. super versatile and have a thing called toneprint that lets you use ur favorite artists presets for that pedal

ehx is something i'd use more for classic/eerie effects. their distortion/OD is good for everything from classic rock to metal

boss is ok for some stuff like modulation and effects but i would never buy a dirt pedal from them. i've always had bad luck with them

but in the end, always check out used stuff at ur local store or craigslist or watever. u get killer deals on some stuff. if it looks cool, try it out.

+1 TC nova delay is an awesome delay, all of their stuffi have tried has been on par with the nova delay.

+1 EHX makes some interesting pedals, i have a few i am waiting to surface on CL for an ambient rig i am putting together.

i don't like Boss in general, some of their stuff is okay at best, best option if you have to have a boss is to get it modded.

i have had a couple of BBE pedals and they are great, that is what i use to power my board as well (Supa-Charger).

FUlltone makes some very nice effects, most likley known for their OCD which is an overdrive pedal.

i like voodoo labs, they have done me great, except my microvibe when activated increases volume. it may be adjustable by an internal trim pot, but am too lazy to check.

digitech makes some great things, the Whammy, and i like my Jamman looper and delay combo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not a fan of Boss distortion pedals, they seem to have a generic sound which I'm not keen on.
I have a EHX Big Muff which is one hell of a kickass pedal, I'm a huge sludge metal fan so it's right up my street but I doubt it will be for eveyone. They have some bonkers pedals out though which sound great fun by the looks of the Youtube clips.
Currently messing with a Digitech Death Metal distortion, got some brutal sounds from it however I'm awaiting delivery of an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal which I'm hoping is going to fulfill my distortion needs
Quote by Ultima2876
For experimentation I actually recommend a multi-effects thing like the me-70. It may seem pricey but it's a great way to experiment and see what kinds of effects you like and how best to use them, then you can get the 'real' versions of your favourites later. The me-70 by no means sounds bad though; it's a great sounding and very versatile unit.

+1

The ME70 is a great unit for experimenting, if you pick one up used you can abuse the hell out of it, learn what you like then sell it on to buy the individual effects you are after.

There are obvious exceptions but I find Boss to be the benchmark, everything seems to be compared to them. So once you understand what each effect does and work out what you like the sound of you will be in a good spot to go and spend real money on the right gear.

I own one and usually have it just chilling in my effects loop, I pretty much use it as a volume pedal - but every now and then I want some crazy effect I could never justify buying and its nice to have it there.

-Oh plus the pre-amps and looper and tuner are handy
Last edited by zero at Apr 6, 2012,
budget? location? current gear?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the suggestions guys, gives me a lot of homework to look into.

@ Dave:
Ibanez RG120L
Fender Frontman 25R

Essentially basic starter equipment. I plan to upgrade everything by years end but i like doing my homework early lol
Quote by afatguitarist
Digitech Whammy for the octave, has everything you could ever want

Looks good ill add it to the list, thx
Tc electronic for delay and I really like my MXR Flanger

Also, you should really post what style of music you're going for, because different distortions can work better for different sounds.
Quote by odinmisawa
Tc electronic for delay and I really like my MXR Flanger

Also, you should really post what style of music you're going for, because different distortions can work better for different sounds.

My musical range is a bit wide but i predominantly learn towards wanting to play these:
Hard Rock - Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin
Progressive - Tool, Dream Theater
Distortion/OD - Try: Tube screamers, DS-1 (Only if you know how to use it), OS-2

Flanger/Chorus - Try: Boss choruses (there's a lot), Black Label Chorus, EVH's flanger

Octave - Try: Haven't had much experience with these. Try the usual brands and see what you like.

Delay - Try: Any Boss Digital Delay. Those are amazing.
If you want something real cheap, check out the danelectro fab pedals. Great for the price.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Remnest
Thanks for the suggestions guys, gives me a lot of homework to look into.

@ Dave:
Ibanez RG120L
Fender Frontman 25R

Essentially basic starter equipment. I plan to upgrade everything by years end but i like doing my homework early lol

basically you should be looking into upgrading your guitar and amp before you get any pedals. you don't want to waste a bunch of money on pedals which would have bought you a better guitar or amp.

that being said, the joyo stuff is really, really nice for very little money. Like $30-$40 a pedal. So one or two of those might be worth considering as they wouldn't totally obliterate your amp or guitar budget. And they're nice enough that you can keep using them when you get a better amp and guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@ Dave

I have 800 set aside for my next guitar and 500 for the amp. Only reason i havent taken the plunge yet is cuz i want to wait until years end since atm im comfortable with what i am using. The pedals thing is something im curious about because id like to experiment with my sound a little, but seeing as there r so many options id like to know which pedals are considered best in certain categories so when i start buying them i dont be wasting money per se.
Quote by Remnest
but seeing as there r so many options id like to know which pedals are considered best in certain categories so when i start buying them i dont be wasting money per se.

The thing is everyone is going to have a different opinion... that is why more than 1 company make pedals.

A pedal I think sounds awesome you may think sounds crap - it really is a personal preference type of thing. Its like me starting a thread asking what is the best type of fruit?

Let me let you in on a secret - effects are bottomless money pits (well really guitars in general)
It never ends, you will always be after new things to find your tone. Thats why i suggest boss to people starting out, you wont find many people who say they are no good, they're not the best but they are consistently reliable and well regarded.

The fact you're asking these questions tells me that you don't know what you're after, and that's perfectly fine - just don't go blowing money on XYZ pedal just because the internet says its good. Get a decent Multi, experiment to find the sound YOU like, then invest in some real gear. If you were just after an OD pedal or something it would be a different story but seeings you want a fair few effects I would be leaning towards a Multi or at the least snap up some bargain used pedals and play around with them.
Last edited by zero at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by Remnest
@ Dave

I have 800 set aside for my next guitar and 500 for the amp. Only reason i havent taken the plunge yet is cuz i want to wait until years end since atm im comfortable with what i am using. The pedals thing is something im curious about because id like to experiment with my sound a little, but seeing as there r so many options id like to know which pedals are considered best in certain categories so when i start buying them i dont be wasting money per se.

ah ok

i'm sticking with my joyo recommendations. i wasn't too fussed on the chorus, but the other ones i've tried were great, for the money.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can I suggest joyo pedals they are around £30/$40 a pedal and I would be pleased if i had bought them for triple that.
Look at Joyo. Very cheap and quite good. I have their flanger and it's pretty impressive.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Plastic/low end pedals can be fun! Even if you grow out of them, or replace them with something 10x better, you can always have one in a drawer somewhere to **** around with. Because they're usually so cheap, you can't really regret it. either.
SO i see joyo is the way to go for the budget consumer, what about the higher end stuff?
Im gonna jump in on this thread :P

IS the TC electronics Nova Delay good then? I asked a guy in a local shop and he shot it down a bit...also, whats the difference between the Nova delay and the Repeater?

Cheers guys

Quote by Remnest
SO i see joyo is the way to go for the budget consumer, what about the higher end stuff?

As far as this goes; TC electronics, EHX, Boss, Digitech. Ive heard great things about all of these. Blackstar have started doing pedals, but I havnt heard many reviews and they are crazy expensive compared to say the Digitech equivilant...