Three weeks ago I bought a guitar and amp to learn guitar at the tender age of 61. I got a Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (the bottom of the line model), and a used Peavey Vypr 15W amp.

For learning, I'm keeping the sound clean and open. However, I'm also playing around with some rock classics, trying to learn a few.

I can't seem to find a combination of settings on the amp and on the guitar that will give some (not a lot) of pre-gain "buzz". It seems like I can get just a tiny bit, or go to a setting that has much more than I'd like.

I've been using the Dzl, Twn, Dlx amp settings with the pre-gain up all the way, as those give the most buzz while having a bright sound. The other amp settings that have more pre-gain buzz seem to give a muffled sound, and those with really clean and bright sound have no pre-gain effect. I'm also using the head and head/middle pickup settings on the guitar.

I've twiddled with the post-gain settings, and tried a bunch of other things, but I can't seem to get a sound that's right in terms of clarity and amount of buzz.

Is there something I might be missing?

I wish I could use more technical terms rather than subjective.

Thanks for any replies.
Don't get frustrated. Congrats on wanting to pick up electric guitar.

I'll be blunt.

I'm a Vypyr fan first and foremost. I own a Vypyr 60. The Vypyr 15 is just not that great. It is a $99 practice amp. And you got it used so it is a <99 practice amp. It mostly suffers from the 8 " speaker. Go to the store and play an amp with a 12" speaker, like the Vypyr 30s on up.

The cheap Strat isn't helping. I'm also a Strat owner/lover

Have you pushed the amp model knob to get the 'Red' settings for each amp? Try that.

Don't give up - but don't get frustrated with cheap starter gear. Learn the riffs, save up some more, and upgrade later. In the mean time, check out my Diezel and Twin clips in my profile. I'm new to guitar too.

Welcome to UG

PS: the 'head' pickups are called neck pickups - most of the rest you got right
Thanks for the reply, 311ZOSOVHJH. I know it's called a neck pickup, but I was very tired when I typed that post.

I also know that the guitar and amp are inexpensive (or "cheap"), but I wasn't sure if I would stick it out or not on learning. Besides, I just recently spent a lot of money on collector switchblades, so I have to keep my wife off my back.

I'm just surprised that there's no middle ground on pre-gain buzz. It's like there's a #1 setting, a #2, then a #6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

I'll deal with this as it is, and maybe spend more $$ down the road.
Hi mate, I've got a Vyper 75W and find new sounds on it all the time, I find messing around and spending time to experiment really helps.
I've had lots of good tips from the Vyper forum here...

http://forums.peavey.com/viewforum.php?f=33

There's also a great setting website which has loads to mess around with...

http://www.vypyrsettings.fr/

I play mainly metal but I got a lovely sound using Twin on green with a distortion pedal, the sustain was bonkers, went on for ages lol.
Fellow Vypyr lover here.

For what you want, play around with the Red "Plexi", "Brit" & "Classic" channels. For low-mid gain tones, I think the "Brit" is the best channel in the amp. The "Pregain" knob controls the amount of distortion in the amp (what I believe you mean by "buzz"). Play around with those and see if you can't find something you like better.

I've also owned the Vypyr 15, and I can attest to what 311 is saying about the 8" speaker. It's really too small to get any proper guitar sounds out of. The versions with a 12" speaker are much better amps.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks again for the replies. I thought I'd exhausted all possibilities with the channels, but I'll go back and try again. I'll also check out those links.
Well, folks, I've tried every possible combination of red/green dlx/brit/etc amp setting, pre-gain, special effects, post gain, delays, and pickup combinations. The amp/guitar combo will go from a bit of pre-gain distortion/fuzz/buzz/whatever to too much.

I'm trying to learn Keith Richards' lead in "Can't You Hear Me Knockin' ", and he has distortion, but it's somewhere in that area that the 15W doesn't have.

Is there an aftermarket gadget that will increase pre-gain distortion with this amp, or should I just be looking to buy another amp? If the latter, does the 30W offer a wider range of sounds?

Thanks for any replies.
If you can get the 30 I think it will make a bid difference. It has a 12" speaker. If you can swing a Vypyr 60 - that will be even better. I've seen go for as low as $250. Honestly though, modelers do struggle sometimes in the low-mid gain department. I have a few attempts if you are interested. Otherwise, you may want to consider getting a strait up tube amp if that is they type of stuff you play mostly.
OK, bigger speaker and more powerful amp.

There's a Peavey Express 112 on Craigslist here for $140. Would that fit the bill? Good amp?

Thanks for any replies.
Quote by Monkeyleg
Why? Is that a good deal?

If I recall correctly, the Express 112s sometimes go for that amount. Seems like an average deal. But you'd have to see the actual amp in person to see if it's actually worth the price being sold for.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
I read some reviews, and it seemed that the main complaint was that the 112 didn't have any effects. I don't think I'd use any that I've seen on the 15W, if that matters.

Is the sound not good, the variety of possible sounds not good, or is there something else?

Sorry for all the questions.
It probably doesn't sound all that great. What is your budget, and where are you located? We can help you find stuff that will work well for you.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I went today to look at new amps. I tried to stay at $200 to $250. I looked at a Peavy 30W, a Fender Mustang, and a Vox (forget the model). Frankly, I didn't find much difference. All of them had pre-programmed amp settings, nearly all of which were useless to me. There wasn't enough pre-gain on any of them for me to take a clean amp setting and add a mild amount of distortion. I thought the fuzz settings on at least one of them would be controllable, but none of them were.

I bought a Blues Driver to try to get some controllable distortion. I listened to it at the store, and it sounded great, but I haven't hooked it up yet to my Peavey 15W. We'll see.
It's probably not going to sound very good. Modelers don't really take to pedals very well. I've had a mess of low wattage practice amps and modelers, I love my Hothead and my XXX but they aren't ideal for playing at odd hours.
Of all the ones I've had in my opinion the fender super champ XD sounded the best.
I sold mine because... I can't remember actually. I probably sold it to fund some purchase of a new guitar.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
As a general rule, you want to use as little pre-gain as possible to get the amount of crunch your after.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
As a general rule, you want to use as little pre-gain as possible to get the amount of crunch your after.

Yeah, the really heavy pre-gain sounds horrible.

The Blues Driver pedal works better than any settings on the amp. I can vary the distortion quite a bit before it gets too heavy. I'm pretty much on a clean amp setting and adding some pre-gain through the pedal, and it's closer to what I want. It's not what's on the album, but I don't think I'd that's possible without $$$$$ equipment.
It might be cheaper than you think.

There is a lot of high-quality amps out there, for cheap. When you pay a lot of cash, it's usually for versatility or high-quality tubes/output transformers.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I'm not sure when you want to upgrade, or how much you want to spend, but at this point you should look into a simple, straightforward tube amp like a Peavey Classic or a Peavey ValveKing. It seems like the complexity of the Vypyr is not what you're looking for in an amp, haha.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No, I don't think I need a zillion special effects, but no simple adjustable effects.

OTOH, I just bought my first guitar three weeks ago. I think I should find out if I can even play.

Quote by Offworld92
I'm not sure when you want to upgrade, or how much you want to spend, but at this point you should look into a simple, straightforward tube amp like a Peavey Classic or a Peavey ValveKing. It seems like the complexity of the Vypyr is not what you're looking for in an amp, haha.