Wondering what would be a good amp to get for around the same price ($600) as a 6505+ 112 Combo..everyone says that the cleans on the 6505 are bad. i have played one at Guitar Center...what amp for around the same price has the killer distortion but better cleans than the 6505 Combo..please don't name modeling amps
Might be pushing your price point, but a used Peavey XXX combo. Mesa F-50 used. Um... Not much else I can think of off the top of my head.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Nothing will give you the same distortion as the 6505, except the 6505.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

This is the truth. Why do you need clean tones when you have sac-ripping distortion?
Last edited by xicetraex at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by Raijouta

+1. Certainly not in your budget, anyhow.

I believe Krank makes a small combo amp. I don't know how the cleans are on it though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by lintball0190
what amp for around the same price has the killer distortion but better cleans than the 6505 Combo..

Laney Ironheart 60-212. Not sure about price in your part of the world but will just keep up with a 6505 when it comes to heavy, then absolutely leave it for dead when playing clean.
depending on your application, of course, but i find i can dial in a really nice clean on my 6505+ combo, in fact i was pleasantly surprised coz, like you, before i bought it last year, i did my research and read everywhere about the poor cleans but decided i could live with it. however, i think a lot of people jump on the bandwagon and say they have poor cleans coz they've 'heard' that elsewhere, not actually played the amp and tried to dial in a setting?
Using the two button peavey footswitch turns the amp into a 3 channel affair, and what i do is dial the clean/crunch channel in of a very useable clean tone, which i then add a chorus pedal to in my pedal board. Switching to the crunch then gives an equally nice rock tone which i can push harder with an overdrive pedal in my board.... before switching to full on face ripping lead channel!
just my opinion as a gigging user of this amp..... have done for nearly a year and have had many MANY compliments on the tone and performance of it... both the obvious gain side but also a raised eyebrow or two at the cleans!

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by syzee
think a lot of people jump on the bandwagon and say they have poor cleans coz they've 'heard' that elsewhere, not actually played the amp and tried to dial in a setting?

You are spot on.. and the same can be said for most other bandwagons we see frequently on these boards.

In my experience with the 6505+ I found that its cleans really weren't all that bad - but they are not anything special either.
But why should they be, its not what Peavey set out to do - you don't hear people saying how the classic 30 sucks at metal, its obvious that its not designed for that.

The 6505 series does not suck at cleans... its not designed for cleans, your not paying for cleans, if you want super sparkly cleans then go buy an amp that does that - but good luck finding one that does both perfectly. Its all about give and take, I found the Ironheart to be the best common ground but others may, and no doubt will, disagree.
+1 to syzee.

Try it out. If you find the cleans unacceptable, then either it's not the amp for you, or somewhere down the road you'll want a second amp for your cleans, and A/B switch them. But what a lot of people call "bad cleans" may not be that bad to you.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
In my experience, there's no such thing as bad cleans; there's bad playing and eq'ing.

The cleans are a little dry on the 6505+, that's all. But if you setup your rhythm/clean channel to optimize the eq for cleans, use your neck pickup, and dial in some bass and resonance, you can get beautiful cleans out of it. Add chorus/reverb and you can get epic cleans out of it -- I'm not kidding.

If sparkly Fendery cleans are what you want -- what are you doing buying a 6505???
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I own a 6505+ half stack with a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab and the cleans arn't bad at all! If you know how to dial in a good tone and add a chorus pedal or something then it actually sounds pretty good. Ignore what people say about the cleans.
thanks guys..i know paul gilbert uses Laney amps..i will look into that one but if it's out of my price range i might just end up getting the 6505+...when i played it at Guitar Center i didn't think it was that bad...but figured i would ask and get your opinions
Quote by zero
In my experience with the 6505+ I found that its cleans really weren't all that bad - but they are not anything special either.
But why should they be, its not what Peavey set out to do - you don't hear people saying how the classic 30 sucks at metal, its obvious that its not designed for that.
That's a good point.

Like seriously. People always list the 6505's flaw as being it's no good for cleans.

So everytime someone wants a classic should we all be like "don't get it. it sucks at metal."?
That's just foolish.

The 6505 series does not suck at cleans... its not designed for cleans, your not paying for cleans
So true. We're lucky the 6505 even has cleans.
When's the last time you heard people bitching about the Soldano Hot Rod not even having cleans?
Because I certainly don't see that regularly.

Might as well be happy the amp has cleans to begin with.

And they're only bad when compared to like the famous fender cleans and stuff like that.
I'll take 6505 cleans over average solid state cleans anyday.

They sound fine if you know how to turn some knobs on the amp to EQ them good.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 13, 2012,
Try looking for a 5150 used around craigslist or something. Or get the 6505, NOT the 6505+. the difference between the two is that the + version has a couple more preamp tubes, separate channel EQ, and more gain stages, which to me makes the amp sound sub-par on the clean channel w/o a chorus or sonic stomp in the FX loop. The 6505 is almost identical to the 5150, which means of course one EQ and 5 preamp tubes. The 5150 sound loose in comparison to the 6505+, but I have already decided that I am never letting mine leave my rig.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Arch1119
Or get the 6505, NOT the 6505+. the difference between the two is that the + version has a couple more preamp tubes, separate channel EQ, and more gain stages, which to me makes the amp sound sub-par on the clean channel w/o a chorus or sonic stomp in the FX loop.

Really?... is this the general consensus?
To my knowledge the 6505+ has one extra preamp tube and a separate EQ that I would of thought allowed you to improve the cleans. Interesting....
Quote by zero
Really?... is this the general consensus?
To my knowledge the 6505+ has one extra preamp tube and a separate EQ that I would of thought allowed you to improve the cleans. Interesting....

Yeah idk what that guy is talking about. It's much easier to get a good clean sound on the + than it is on the normal 6505.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The 6505+ / 5150 II are modified versions of the original to have better cleans, but they have less gain than the original.

If you're still unhappy with the cleans, try a reverb pedal and stay with your current setup. You're not going to get anything better than the 6505+ combo with your current budget, and it's actually a pretty awesome setup if you ask me.

If I were in you're shoes, I'd do that and save around $2,000 for either Mesa Dual Rectifier or EVH 5150 III. Both have top of the line crunch and cleans.
DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
Diamond Nitrox Head
Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
Last edited by dspari1 at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by dspari1
The 6505+ / 5150 II are modified versions of the original to have better cleans, but they have less gain than the original.

They don't have less gain per se, it's just different. It's a lot more compressed, so it doesn't have the brutal kick you in the nuts wall of sound the original 5150/6505 is so famous for.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Comes down to what matters to you the most. Do you want the balls out gain or fender like cleans? You can't have both. Err, sorry, you probably can't have both on your budget. At least with the 6505+, you get separate EQs on the channels. I don't find the cleans that bad on my 212 combo. Then again, I haven't used it as a clean channel in a LONG time

Guess you could look at a Jet City JCA5012 or stretch your budget for a Carvin V3MC 50w combo. The v3m will give you great cleans and then still have 2 more channels for the dirt.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Offworld92
They don't have less gain per se, it's just different. It's a lot more compressed, so it doesn't have the brutal kick you in the nuts wall of sound the original 5150/6505 is so famous for.

In either case, for his budget, the 6505+ is a great option. He can just get a reverb pedal and call it a day until he has a $2000 budget.
Diamond Nitrox Head
Quote by dspari1

If you're still unhappy with the cleans, try a reverb pedal and stay with your current setup. You're not going to get anything better than what you got with your current budget, and it's actually a pretty awesome setup if you ask me.

If I were in you're shoes, I'd do that and save around $2,000 for either Mesa Dual Rectifier or EVH 5150 III. Both have top of the line crunch and cleans.

The +/II model doesn't have any less preamp gain, rather it has a slightly smoother tone that would give that perception. Now the 6505+ 112 may in fact have a little less on the lead channel, as it does not have 6 preamp tubes like the larger + models, but five, or at least mine does, but I am not sure how those are actually divided among the circuit. The point being, TS, the 6505+ 112 is a great amp, I enjoy the sounds I get very much, especially after replacing the tubes and speaker. Stock, it is still a beast of an amp, but it can be fizzy on the lead channel. The cleans are alright, what you have to consider TS is that many people playing this amp use high output pickups which may not be suitable for what most consider a good clean sound. I achieve a nice bell like clean tone with my strat and my SGs neck pickup, though they are a little dry and reminiscent of tones I hear from solid state amps. Are they vintage blackface fender? no, but hey, they do alright for a little 600$ metal amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^ What I just said lol

Quote by dspari1
In either case, for his budget, the 6505+ is a great option. He can just get a reverb pedal and call it a day until he has a $2000 budget.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing. Just elaborating for any potential readers

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ What I just said lol

Yeah, sorry about that, you posted while I was typing that wall
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Offworld92
^ What I just said lol

No worries! I rather be corrected and be right for next time.
Diamond Nitrox Head
I find that in person at stores...a lot of the people saying that the 6505+ has bad cleans, are playing a guitar with EMGs on the bridge pickup with bad EQ. It's not as sparkly and pretty as Fender or even Vox cleans, but the right guitar and pickups should yield passable cleans with a little tweaking and some reverb.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by lintball0190
Wondering what would be a good amp to get for around the same price ($600) as a 6505+ 112 Combo..everyone says that the cleans on the 6505 are bad. i have played one at Guitar Center...what amp for around the same price has the killer distortion but better cleans than the 6505 Combo..please don't name modeling amps

Pretty much the only way to get a Peavey distortion is by getting a Peavey amplifier.
So, a used XXX would be the answer, though it may push your price point a bit.

However, I think you should just try the 6505. Who knows, you might like the cleans.
I, too, find that the majority of people at stores who claim an amp's clean tones are bad are the kinds of people who use EMG and can't EQ to save their lives.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Pretty much the only way to get a Peavey distortion is by getting a Peavey amplifier.
So, a used XXX would be the answer, though it may push your price point a bit.

However, I think you should just try the 6505. Who knows, you might like the cleans.
I, too, find that the majority of people at stores who claim an amp's clean tones are bad are the kinds of people who use EMG and can't EQ to save their lives.

EMG 85 at the neck are great for cleans. It's the 81 at the bridge that suck at cleans. Also, the people at guitar center don't always give great advice. It's not by accident that Line 6 amps actually sell.

Also, if people would go to the manufacture's website and read the manual, they generally have recommended EQ settings for both the crunch and clean channels. They are not gospel, but they give you a good starting point to tweak from.
Diamond Nitrox Head
Last edited by dspari1 at Apr 13, 2012,
bugera 6260 or 6262? maybe look used for a 5150 ii combo, not even sure if they made a combo for that but.. there ya go xD
As previously stated, I'd seriously look into the bugeras..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal