Page 1 of 2
Ok, so I'm graduating from college in a month, I live at home, and we're having a party to celebrate. I asked my mom if my band could play and she said that would be a good idea. Am I a nark for playing at my own party?
What's a nark?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Does "playing at their own party" read in the DSM IV or ICD 10 for narcissistic personality disorder? Probably not. Go ahead and happy birthday.
Quote by AtaBorMan
What's a nark?

From the Urban Dictionary:

"Nark:
1: To be a nark is to be someone that will report any misbehaving to a higher authority like the police, parents and teachers.
2: To nark, or to nark someone out is the action of reporting the misbehavior; also called narking.
3: To be narked is, obviously, the past tense of narking."

@OP: According to the above definition, playing at your own party would not make you a nark.
First of all, narc? No you're not being a narcotics agent for playing at your own party.

Second of all, that is pretty lame.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Hey, we're just trying to have a good time, narc. Why do you
want to destroy us?

Don't commit your hate crimes here. HATE CRIME!
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I thought a nark was basically a tattle-tale...so no, you aren't. But it's a little lame playing at your own grad party.
[]
How are you a narcotics officer for playing your own party exactly? Unless somehow playing will involve a team of SWAT to swoop in and arrest everyone with drugs.
TS is a nark.
Snitches get stitches, bitch.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Cool bands don't play their own parties. If you had any respect for yourself, you'd hire a DJ instead. Ironically, of course.
Quote by LesThanPaul
I thought a nark was basically a tattle-tale...so no, you aren't. But it's a little lame playing at your own grad party.

If one of the goals (of many) of a birthday party is for the one that the party is for to have fun, and they have fun playing at a party, then mission accomplished IMO.

If you want to play at your party, then play at your party.
Might be good to have another band there though so you can at least mingle or dance with hot girls or hot guys.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 6, 2012,
Sorry for using the word nark wrong. I just use it to mean lame person. I also use the word melvin in that same context. To rephrase the question more clearly: Is it socially acceptable to play at one's own party?
Quote by doofus41
Sorry for using the word nark wrong. I just use it to mean lame person. I also use the word melvin in that same context. To rephrase the question more clearly: Is it socially acceptable to play at one's own party?

I would invite others to play as well.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by doofus41

I looked up melvin for the "lulz", and got this: "a situation where one's underpants ride up high between the buttocks. (Named for a person so stupid and unaware that he is comfortable with this arrangement."
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Gorelord666
I looked up melvin for the "lulz", and got this: "a situation where one's underpants ride up high between the buttocks. (Named for a person so stupid and unaware that he is comfortable with this arrangement."

Then yes definitely... you're being a melvin.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Back in my day the word "narc" was reserved for people who told on you for smoking a joint in the backyard. I have no idea wtf a "nark" is.
Quote by Gorelord666
TS is a nark.
Snitches get stitches, bitch.

No.
Snitches get bitches.
That's why I report every crime I see, no matter how small
Yes because you just narc-ed yourself out about playing your own party. On a related note, i have no idea what the **** im talking about so ignore me.
I did it at my 18th.. had a friends band play, then my band played, then it was a massive jam untill 3 in the morning..

we were heard over 2 kms away.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Am I being a Lark?

--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
It is a bit lame. Especially since you wouldn't be able to socialize if you are playing.

What I think you should do (if you really want to play) is have at least one other band play and have that band be the last to go on. Have yourself play first so that way you can still enjoy some music and you won't look like a douche by having your band "headline" and there will be less attention on your band so you won't come off as cocky.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Last edited by soXlittleXtimeX at Apr 7, 2012,
thats incredibly lame, not gonna lie. Its like despite having all the attention that comes with hosting a party, you want even more by making everyone watch you and your band.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Apr 7, 2012,
Not a nark, just a total douche
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Hey, we're just trying to have a good time, narc. Why do you want to destroy us?

Don't commit your hate crimes here. HATE CRIME!

More butt support, MORE BUTT SUPPORT
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Solution: Play a show, don't host a party.

<.<

>.>
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
"Mom, can I have a party?"

"Sure Timmy, you've earned it"

"Thanks mom!, Hey mom, can my band play?"

"Sure Timmy, you and your friends play all you want"

"Thanks mom! You're the best"

ROCK AND ROLL
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
a nark....

no?

pretty sure it's narc, and that's an undercover cop. But anyways, sorry if I'm not in on the whole internet lingo loop
Am I being a stark?

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Don't do it, TS. I'd leave the party if the host suddenly decided he wanted to use it as a chance to wank.
West Ham United
Page 1 of 2