During the latest years, bands like In Flames, Children of Bodom and Nightwish has blown my speakers. Dream Theater's fantastic melodies and surreal awesomeness has captivated me for almost seven months (Images and Words, Scenes From A Memory, A Change of Seasons, etc.) and some bands like Insomnium. I have found that this is the direction of my musical journies, and also found myself in love with the more progressive side of Death Metal with Edge of Sanity's Crimson II, which is my absolute favorite by them.

I have found that the things I love in music are epicness, melody and surrealism. Great lyrical themes also, but music comes first.

So, anyone feeling the same kind of love for these elements that has some good recommendations that magically has missed my everlistening ears beforehandedly?

The music does not have to involve growling. If the band has some good vocalists (preferrably female) then that would maybe even be better.

So, epicness, melody and surrealism, people?

Favorite songs in this direction is A Change of Seasons, Metropolis pt. 1, entire Scenes From A Memory, almost all of In Flames, much of the less rockish CoB, almost all of Insomnium and recently Crimson II by Edge of Sanity.
It is living and ceasing to live that are imaginary solutions. Existence is elsewhere.
Quote by TerryFinn
During the latest years, bands like In Flames, Children of Bodom and Nightwish has blown my speakers. Dream Theater's fantastic melodies and surreal awesomeness has captivated me for almost seven months (Images and Words, Scenes From A Memory, A Change of Seasons, etc.) and some bands like Insomnium. I have found that this is the direction of my musical journies, and also found myself in love with the more progressive side of Death Metal with Edge of Sanity's Crimson II, which is my absolute favorite by them.

I have found that the things I love in music are epicness, melody and surrealism. Great lyrical themes also, but music comes first.

So, anyone feeling the same kind of love for these elements that has some good recommendations that magically has missed my everlistening ears beforehandedly?

The music does not have to involve growling. If the band has some good vocalists (preferrably female) then that would maybe even be better.

So, epicness, melody and surrealism, people?

Favorite songs in this direction is A Change of Seasons, Metropolis pt. 1, entire Scenes From A Memory, almost all of In Flames, much of the less rockish CoB, almost all of Insomnium and recently Crimson II by Edge of Sanity.

Essential proto-melodic death metal

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Sentenced - Shadows of Past
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

Progressive death metal

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Gorguts - Obscura
Cynic - Focus
Pestilence - Spheres

Some "epic" metal of diverse styles

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Bathory - Hammerheart
King Diamond - Abigail
Blind Guardian - Follow the Blind
Summoning - Dol Guldur

Also...rec thread at the top of the page next time you have a question. We try to keep the clutter down in the metal forum.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Last edited by Crazed Shredder at Apr 6, 2012,