im used to a low action and my neck is dead straight however now im beginning to hear some fret buzz so im thinking of giving my neck some relief. what i want to know is that is the truss rod really something to be afraid of? all i have to do is unlock the locking nuts loosen the string and loosen the truss rod 1/4 turn right?
if your neck is straight, don't touch your truss rod
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
shouldnt their be a little relief? what should i do for the buzz? its mostly on the higher frets? should i just raise the action?
you could consider that, however if you haven't done this before, take it to a pro and ask him to show you how to do it. A quick way to ruin a neck is to start messing with your truss rod.
If you want the best all-around action, you start with a straight neck then adjust your bridge or trem until the buzzing goes away. loosening your truss rod will make your neck bow, which, yeah, raises your action, but you'll end up with high action in the middle frets and normal action in the low and high frets
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
to raise the action i haveto loosen the saddles on the bridge ryt? but before that i havto loosen the tension in the strings is theyre anything else to it?
Quote by danyal92
shouldnt their be a little relief? what should i do for the buzz? its mostly on the higher frets? should i just raise the action?

Adjust your bridge, not your truss rod. Don't even mess with the truss rod if it's buzzing. I assume your bridge is adjustable. If not, then take it into a pro. Let them deal with it.

Edit:
Quote by danyal92
to raise the action i haveto loosen the saddles on the bridge ryt? but before that i havto loosen the tension in the strings is theyre anything else to it?

Um, no...action can be adjusted by raising or lowering the bridge. However, what you should do to get rid of a buzz is move your bridge forward or backward. Isolate which strings are buzzing and ONLY adjust those strings. Do not adjust any others. If all of them are buzzing, then I'd recommend taking your guitar to a pro.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 6, 2012,
its a floating trem (edge 3) can i adjust specific strings on a floyd rose floating trem?