I'm low on cash(since I'm 17 with no job:P), so I can't afford any high-end guitars. I'm putting James Hetfield's new pickups in my Truckster, so I'll have EMG's with no home. So I thought it'd be a good idea to just buy a cheap-ish LTD, and put the EMG's in it. Is putting EMG's in a low end LTD a good or bad idea?
Its not a good or a bad idea...its what sound you want and personal preference, You need to remember about the battery tho, Does your guitar already have a battery compartment or somewhere to store one? If not you'll need to get a space routed out of the back of it.
I just read that EMG's sound better in more expensive wood:p so I didn't know if they'd sound like shit in the cheap LTD's since they use basswood.
It should be ok. The only thing I'd caution you about is that you may have to use a router to hollow out the pickup slots a bit more. I'm going to have to do that myself this summer with my Fender Stagemaster.

Edit:
Quote by breakingrev
I just read that EMG's sound better in more expensive wood:p
Source?...

They're actives. I wouldn't think the wood would matter much.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 6, 2012,
You're going to need a space for the battery as well as new pots since EMGs are an active circuit.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
You're going to need a space for the battery as well as new pots since EMGs are an active circuit.

Definitely don't forget about this.

That being said, I put EMGs in my LTD f-100 and it is awesome. I was fortunate enough that the battery fit in with no problems.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Control cavity, and EMGs come with the pots.

Well then, there you go. Maybe just get a battery mount so it's not jangling around in there. Or duct tape.

I always say: If you can't duct it, fuct it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Wisthekiller
EMGs tend to have their own sound and "ignore" the guitar's sound more or less, so it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

(this isn't saying they sound the same in every guitar though)

Tone woods, shape, construction, etc... are important with active pickups too.

OT. It will improve your sound for sure. You will have a more usable axe then . Do it.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by Perverockstar69

OT. It will improve your sound for sure. You will have a more usable axe then . Do it.

Quote by Me
(this isn't saying they sound the same in every guitar though)

You mean exactly like I said? The differences aren't as noticeable in actives, but they're still there.
Quote by Perverockstar69
Wrong, tone woods, shape, construction, etc... are important.

Bunk.

Well, not absolutely, but mostly, at least with the pups in question.

You could put an 81/85 set on a pine 4x4 and as long as they couldn't see it, most people wouldn't know the difference.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by stykerwolf
Most people cant tell the difference between an MG and a recto

Im wondering the same thing, kinda makes me want to slap an emg in my crappy starter guitar

More truth to that than we generally care to admit. Play what they like, play it loud and play it at least reasonably close to what's expected and most folks are pretty happy.

We're just tone snobs, and I'm often convinced it's not to our betterment...
Charles Darwin
^Not necessarily. People may not notice the difference between a Recto and a JCM, but they will notice that one guys tone is clearer and less harsh than another guy. That said, they usually attribute it to the guitar or his playing rather than the amp.
I'd say go for it. Do it urself Get all quick connect components and remember, you can try different models in different spots easy because they just unplug. Try different models and return the ones you don't like.
Run them 18v too if you have the space for 2 batteries.
Quote by Perverockstar69
Granted, but the fact that the LTDs (the ones that are cheaper anyway) are mainly Basswood shouldn't matter.

However, don't try to put an EMG in a starter guitar. I tried that with my Fender Squire once; sounded like shit. That said, most LTDs are a notch or two above starter guitars.

Edit:
Quote by Arby911
You could put an 81/85 set on a pine 4x4 and as long as they couldn't see it, most people wouldn't know the difference.
As someone who basically tried this, I can say it's not bunk. Don't do it. You'd be wasting your money. (See above comment.)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Granted, but the fact that the LTDs (the ones that are cheaper anyway) are mainly Basswood shouldn't matter.

However, don't try to put an EMG in a starter guitar. I tried that with my Fender Squire once; sounded like shit. That said, most LTDs are a notch or two above starter guitars.

Edit:
As someone who basically tried this, I can say it's not bunk. Don't do it. You'd be wasting your money. (See above comment.)

I'm betting you didn't change out the stock pots...or some wiring debacle.

EMG's in a Squier sound like...EMG's, assuming they were installed properly.
Charles Darwin