Not sure if this is the right forum for this. If not, please move to the proper place.

A couple of days ago one of my friends inherited his brother's acoustic guitar while he's away at college. I showed him how to change the strings and keep it in tune. He asked if I'd give him a couple of lessons.

I'm not a teacher by any stretch, but I've been playing for about 10 years and I have a grasp on all the basics at least. I've been trying to think of some simple stuff I can show him. I don't think he's ever played a guitar before. I was thinking I'd show him how to hold a pick and play the basic open chords. Then maybe some scale exercises to build finger strength and dexterity. Do you guys think that would be ok for a complete beginner? Anything else I should touch on?

He's a fan of bands like Weezer, Greenday, Nirvana, The White Stripes They've all got some pretty simple songs I can show him.
i think its a great idea, a neighbour did the same for me 10 yrs ago now, and it got me started. at the time i had lots of lyrical poems i had written and no idea what to do with them, i was then able to put chords to 2 of them. its a great and helpful start for any young budding guitarist
Sounds like a good plan. I would recommend teaching your friend how to talk about the guitar and what its parts are called. The ability to speak the language will come in handy in future lessons and/or jam sessions.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by GeetarHeero
Sounds like a good plan. I would recommend teaching your friend how to talk about the guitar and what its parts are called. The ability to speak the language will come in handy in future lessons and/or jam sessions.

This is an excellent point that I overlooked! Thank you.