I've been looking at getting a line 6 PodHD for recording.

My question is what other gear would I need? Do I need external sound card, firewire interface, monitors? I've never recorded before so i'm a bit confused.

Thanks.
The pod HD's come with a USB cable. That's all you'll need to get the signal into the PC. As Wisthekiller said, you'll want some monitors or headphones so you can hear yourself.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Also if I was to use it to record in cubase would there be a delay in input? I guess I'm asking if it acts as a mini soundcard for the guitar.
The only delay you could get would be from a lack of RAM on your computer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The POD will act as your interface, so there should be no latency. Normally latency is caused by using your computer sound card and memory to hande all the analog/digital conversion. Using an outboard processor means zero (or inaudible) latency.

Now if you're running some ancient PC with like 256mb of RAM or something, you may encounter issues.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Apr 7, 2012,
That's great, exactly what i'm looking for.

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the POD HD pro and the POD HD bean?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/line6_pod_hd_pro.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/line6_pod_hd.htm

They both seem to have the same number of effects/amp sims. Is there more power with the HD pro, i.e. you can have more amps/effects on at a time? Maybe the POD HD 500 would be better?

The price difference between the 2 is huge. All I'm really looking to do is record with it and maybe use it with my amp.

Thanks again for help.
Bear in mind that the Pod HD series don't offer the opportunity to record a clean signal like the old Pod XT etc. With the XT series you could reamp afterwards.

I would recommend getting a second hand Pod XT. They sound awesome in their own right. You can get them really cheap. Then you could always get Pod Farm 2 standard or platinum and play around (although the price for platinumn is ridiculous) within the comfort of your DAW.

And get headphones (like Audio Technica M50, or maybe AKG 240 S). Insane to get monitors if you don't acoustically treat your room too as well as carefulyl setting up the monitos placement - And you have to measure the rooms response too. Randomly putting up Auralex Absorbents isn't going to to the job.

So. Get a set of good headphones.
Last edited by Yax at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by Yax
Bear in mind that the Pod HD series don't offer the opportunity to record a clean signal like the old Pod XT etc. With the XT series you could reamp afterwards.

Wow that sucks! From reading around it seems that the S/PDIF Output allows for a clean signal, but I would need another interface...is that correct?