Hi,

I will be getting a new amp soon. But I am not asking for amp recommendations as I already have ideas there.

What I'd like to advising on is what wattage I should aim for.

I'll explain the situation.

- It should be good for gigs in pubs, clubs and similar.
- It should be good for rehearsals with a drum kit.
- I have only smallish storage space (in my bed room).
- I do not drive, but have options of lifts around.
- I use distortion.
Shoot for low watt. 20-30 ish. 90% of players don't actually need more unless they're aiming for loud and super clean. I have 50 but that's because it was the right $$ and I had it. I certainly don't need it at the moment.
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
I would go with a 50 that way you have the best of everything and are using full tubes and not el84s
I get by quite well with 20w thru a 112. Just enough clean to keep up with drums. I would guess 20w is the min for cleans, 15w if you don't use a clean tone
Quote by jkielq91
Hi,

I will be getting a new amp soon. But I am not asking for amp recommendations as I already have ideas there.

What I'd like to advising on is what wattage I should aim for.

I'll explain the situation.

- It should be good for gigs in pubs, clubs and similar.
- It should be good for rehearsals with a drum kit.
- I have only smallish storage space (in my bed room).
- I do not drive, but have options of lifts around.
- I use distortion.

If you truly only want wattage advice then you really have not given us the info we need.

Mainly - what kind of music do you play and how loud is your drummer? That is all that really matters. I personally do not think you can get good modern metal tones on a 20 watt amp....for example.

Also. When you say 'I use distortion' do you mean a distortion pedal? Which one?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If you truly only want wattage advice then you really have not given us the info we need.

Mainly - what kind of music do you play and how loud is your drummer? That is all that really matters. I personally do not think you can get good modern metal tones on a 20 watt amp....for example.

Also. When you say 'I use distortion' do you mean a distortion pedal? Which one?

Vintage metal, thrash, classic rock, blues rock tone.

No pedal, but may add some thing like a tube screamer.

Not sure about the drummer volume, so I'll just say loud.
OK.

yeah Thrash you can get with most 20-30 watters. If your drummer is super loud and you need cleans to get over/match your drummer then go higher.

You'll be fine with the recs so far me thinks. I personally like 50 wattrs - but I would not make an amp decision soley based on that. You said you had some amps in mind - what are those if you don't mind us asking.

Anyway - Carry On.

(PS: I don't gig)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
OK.

yeah Thrash you can get with most 20-30 watters. If your drummer is super loud and you need cleans to get over/match your drummer then go higher.

You'll be fine with the recs so far me thinks. I personally like 50 wattrs - but I would not make an amp decision soley based on that. You said you had some amps in mind - what are those if you don't mind us asking.

Anyway - Carry On.

(PS: I don't gig)

Jet City JCA
Marshall JCM900 or 800 (used)
Peavey Triple XXX (used)
Bugera 333 XL
Bugera 1990
Last edited by jkielq91 at Apr 6, 2012,