Page 1 of 2
Ok, as I've discovered in other posts that I've made personally, and have read in other's threads I've got a long path to get myself out of this beginner's stage. This time I'm serious.

I've got a lifetime ahead of me to learn, but for the next 3 days I'll be off. I want to devote this entire time to music as much as I can. This means getting my lazy butt to learning stuff!

I have miles.be's ear trainer and am working with that now that I finally got it working right. So that side of things is covered for right now.

What I need from you helpful people is help figuring out where to go from here.

I've got a file showcasing what little I have in my bag of tricks so to speak here:

Prepare for Ear-Rapage!

Uber Noobery in blues, jazz, and rock!

I'm looking for a critique of everything from that recording that you are willing to help with with.

Beyond that, I'm also looking for what I need to work on from this point. By that I mean I need to know what is the next thing to start working on now in addition to what I need to improve on what I have atm.

Thanks for your consideration;
OO
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Apr 6, 2012,
Lookinng forward to the recording.
My general advice would be to pick a couple songs that you want to be able to play, then learn to play them.
When you made that thread a few days you were over-analysing the notes in a lick and so people told you to use your ear, not you seem to be focusing on interval training - you should learn some songs and train your ear by playing, then fine tune it with interval exercises or whatever. You need to expand your vocabulary of songs and progressions - playing songs will teach you more practical stuff about understanding music than trying to distinguish a minor6 from a major6.
Learn some songs and get a BASIC understanding of whats going on, then learn some more songs and learn more theory [rinse and repeat]. The music comes before the theory.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 6, 2012,
That is the the problem atm. I can pick a piece I want to learn, and learn to play it. But I'm not learning the song at all. Just how to play what is tabbed. I need some help in getting to the point that I can go.. . hey, that's 12 bar blues! EEEEAAEEBAEE or whatever, hehe... and then go, ok... this lead is playing over EEEE, then playing the rythm chords AA, lead over EEB then chords of AE and a lead-out over E... or whatever it happens to be. Then going in and figuring out by ear what the notes are that are played on the lead... heh.... etc.etc.etc.

Man this thing is going to take forever! Lol, I anticipated it only taking a few minutes, turns out it's going to take 30 or more in total. It's at under 5 minutes to go atm. SOON!

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
What kinda songs are you interested in learning?
When learning pretty much any song the first thing you should note is the chord progression(s).

Learn riffs from tab if you must but get a piece of paper and a pen and listen to the song several times, taking note of the structure of the song (into, verse,chorus-how many bars each etc) and then create for yourself a chord chart of the piece (working the chords out by ear if you can, using chords from UG if you cant) - if its riff based then name the riffs and write them as if they were chords eg 'funky 5th fret riff x 8 bars'. Play through the song several times, following your chord chart and notes, but dont be a perfectionist as you are just trying to get a feel for the structure, changes and tone. Then practice (with a metronome) until it is perfect.
Well, I'd love to learn them all LOL.

But mainly what I listen to and ultimately want to learn to play at a master's level one day?

Anything by:
Dream Theater
The Pink Floyd Sound Experience (latter dubbed Pink Floyd for short )
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Aerosmith
Muse
Tool
Miles Davis
Slipknot
Opeth
and some classical a la Bach etc.)
Hehe, eclectic no?

And many, MANY others, e.g. the eagles, porcupine tree, and too many more to name!

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I edited that ^ btw.
you said you were serious 3 years ago, whats changed? honestly i tried helping you out and it felt like you didn't want to do any work, you just wanted me to magically imbue you with knowledge without much effort.

good luck to you regardless
Thing about what you recommend is I can't tell where a bar starts and ends by ear. To me it all bleeds together. If I did that, I'd end up not doing "bars" but "sections" instead. Like take a verse, and just break it up into riff 1, lead out of riff 1, riff 1, lead out of riff 1, riff 2, lead 2 into whatever else... heh

But um... that will work for now?

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves

But um... that will work for now?

No. Can you count to four?

edit; And next time you use a filesharing site check that its one that one doesnt need to create an account for.
Quote by z4twenny
you said you were serious 3 years ago, whats changed? honestly i tried helping you out and it felt like you didn't want to do any work, you just wanted me to magically imbue you with knowledge without much effort.

good luck to you regardless

I was serious, but I was distracted by countless other things in the end, work, games, trying to get good at more than 1 thing etc. I'm serious once again, this time with much less in the form of distractions.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
yes I can count to 4 lol. But not everything in music is in 4/4 time. A lot is, but I mean DT is a good example of bands that don't use 4/4 a lot by what I have heard.

Thus why I'm looking for beginner pieces in the area of what music I like to listen to in that suggestion thread.

I mean the stuff I listen to goes WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY, WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY over my head! Trying to learn those pieces would be like going out into the middle of the ocean and throwing a newborn into a the water and saying SWIM FOR LAND or DIE!

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
yes I can count to 4 lol. But not everything in music is in 4/4 time. A lot is, but I mean DT is a good example of bands that don't use 4/4 a lot by what I have heard.

Dont start of with Dream Theatre. You listed the music you liked and most of it was rock or pop. 92.6% of rock and pop is in either 4/4 or 3/4.
Oh wait, that isn't that that allows users to freely download? Oops. I haven't used file sharing much.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Uhh well actually that sounds like its in 12/8, but I should have listed that with 4/4 and 3/4 as being very simple and common time signatures.
Really easy to count - each bar is divided into four beats, each beat is divided into three notes.
Listen to the acoustic guitar picking chords in that track, it switches chord each bar (really easy to hear) and picks 12 notes in each bar with a triplet feel;
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
I've bolded the subdivisions where the beats lie. But you dont need to think about it or count to 12, you should be able to feel the triplets and just count to four as you would in 4/4 time sig.

Btw the file you uploaded would have been a lot smaller (and quicker to upload) if you had exported it as an MP3 or something, WAV is a really big file type.
Ok... maybe too hard to begin with songwise? But for now I'll look at that, let's see... btw isn't that just an electric on a gritty clean? but yea, um doesn't matter. Though you see what I mean by the songs that I choose end up going over my head immediately? 12:8... gezzz I can really pick em. Songs I love are just "hard" heh.

hmm...

1 2 3 4.... G minor tonality there? (Key of G minor)

Of course it's huge lol. I didn't want a tiny sound after working hard to find a big one lol... then again depends on the user's speakers lol. Besides, I ABSOLUTELY Abhor .mp3! It's absolutely crap! I NEVER use than when ripping cd's, never will download one unless I have to. I've got a few mp3s up on this site, but it's because they force you to use that file type! I know it's only an example file, but god I hate mp3. FLAC and WAV for the win! lol.

Add to that I don't have any mp3 conversion software that's worth a shit... it's not worth my effort atm to try and convert if I wanted to. Suggest a free one that's absolutely good and doesn't compress it too much and I'll try it out, but right now mp3 is just... it sickens me how bad it sounds.

Anyways yes.... onto learning.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Ok... maybe too hard to begin with songwise?

Not at all.
Quote by Outside Octaves

1 2 3 4.... G minor tonality there? (Key of G minor)

I dont know what you mean by this.
The song is in A major, and it seems like the perfect song to learn.
Chords;
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/aerosmith/cryin_crd.htm
Try strum along with the track. Ignore the intro section for now and just start playing with the clean electric that starts at the verse.
Its a nice progression that is fairly common in pop/rock.

Quote by Outside Octaves
mp3 rant

You realise that what you uploaded wasnt exactly studio quality, right? In audacity, click file then export, then save the file as an wma or something. I downloaded a thingy that enables you to export as mp3 from audacity, its just a google search away.
Wow, see what I mean? I was playing the G minor chord (E minor open barred at the 3rd fret) and it sounded right lol. Hmm... ok.

Ok.

****, trying to figure out that progresson ... what a doozy!

A E F#m C#m D A E A E F#m C#m D A E G D G D C G E

Hmmm...

A
F#m C#m D
A E A E
F#m C#m D
A E
G D G D
C G E

Did I even break that up right?

And yes, i rand and rave a lot! Lol. Something to get used to. Z4 never did lol.

What do you mean not studio quality?

Best you can get without paying 5 bajillion dollars to some faceless company. Straight into a device that sends the info direct to the pc for live performance or recording. I mean how can one get more "studio quality" than that without the aforementioned money? I mean I could dumb it down quality wize and make it sound like it would if a studio got ahold of it... compressed, take the top and bottom off, properly ground it out, etc... but I mean uh? that's just taking the quality right down if you ask me. You can EQ it but that changes the sound and takes the top and bottom off dumbing down the sound.... something one does in a band, but on your own.... you can have as much top n bottom as u like right? meh oh well, rant over.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
[earlier I stated that each chord lasts a bar - actually most chords last half a bar with some exceptions]
Quote by Outside Octaves

Did I even break that up right?

Follow (first with your eyes/finger, then strum along with your guitar) the chords as shown in this page.

You dont need to 'break it up' further, it already has verse chorus etc written (the only difference I might make is when it goes to the G chord in the verse, I might call that the pre-chorus).

Can you hear the changes? Can you strum along with the changes? Can you feel the rhythm?
I can tell he's accenting the changes, but they sound sooooooooo close in sound I'm having trouble telling what he's changing to... it almost is indistinquishable chord to chord... I mean something is inherent in the changes that's saying (beside the accent) hey these chords aren't the same... yet they fit soooo closely together I'd almost say they were the same chord....

*wonders over to listen again to the verse*

(doesn't help that the guitar sound is soooo tiny! gah! Then again hey, that's that studio sound you talk about eh? hehe)

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
I can tell he's accenting the changes, but they sound sooooooooo close in sound I'm having trouble telling what he's changing to... it almost is indistinquishable chord to chord... I mean something is inherent in the changes that's saying (beside the accent) hey these chords aren't the same... yet they fit soooo closely together I'd almost say they were the same chord....

*wonders over to listen again to the verse*

Really? Listen especially for the bass guitar, its just playing the root notes of the chords.
The bass doesn't kick in till line 4.

But I mean I'm working on it... It shows where to change on that page, but the thing is the tempo is up there for me heh... working on it though so... let's see....

BTW What progression is this? It defiantly isn't standard 1 4 5 blues heh. Hmmm

Add to this now:

C#m... wish there was an easier way to play this. Now I gotta stop work on the song just to focus on engraining that chord into muscle memory! Oi. Why is there always a chord that has something "hard/harder" about it in popular or well written music? GAH!

Dang, oh well... something else to work on before I continue with the song crying, C#m... oi. 3 string variation is harder just due to having to make sure not to hit any of the other strings.... rest are eazy lol... dang oh well... work work work.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
The bass doesn't kick in till line 4.

But I mean I'm working on it... It shows where to change on that page, but the thing is the tempo is up there for me heh... working on it though so... let's see....

BTW What progression is this? It defiantly isn't standard 1 4 5 blues heh. Hmmm

How are you playing this - strumming full chords or picking the notes like in the song? If you find the tempo to be too high then just strum twice per bar (every two beats), thats one strum per chord mostly.

And the progression isnt too unusual, all the chords are within the key of A major for the first six lines till it gets to what id call the pre-chorus where it introduces the G which sounds cool (I think you could call that a secondary dominant, but dont worry about terms like that for now).
The progression in the verse seems inspired by Pachelbel's canon.
Its; I V vi iii IV I V
Quote by Outside Octaves

C#m... wish there was an easier way to play this. Now I gotta stop work on the song just to focus on engraining that chord into muscle memory! Oi. Why is there always a chord that has something "hard/harder" about it in popular or well written music? GAH!

Dang, oh well... something else to work on before I continue with the song crying, C#m... oi. 3 string variation is harder just due to having to make sure not to hit any of the other strings.... rest are eazy lol... dang oh well... work work work.

Cant play barre chords?
Play that C#m like an Am chord but four frets higher, barring the first finger across the fourth fret. You should also be able to play A major, E major and E minor type barre chords, theyre pretty essential.

Quote by GuitarMunky
I'd suggest forgetting about theory, critiques and random advice for awhile. Just spend some time playing music on that thing, and appreciate it for what it is. and I mean like actual music, not noodling theoretic concepts over backing tracks.

Very much this.
Quote by Outside Octaves
Ok, as I've discovered in other posts that I've made personally, and have read in other's threads I've got a long path to get myself out of this beginner's stage. This time I'm serious.

I've got a lifetime ahead of me to learn, but for the next 3 days I'll be off. I want to devote this entire time to music as much as I can. This means getting my lazy butt to learning stuff!

I have miles.be's ear trainer and am working with that now that I finally got it working right. So that side of things is covered for right now.

What I need from you helpful people is help figuring out where to go from here.

I've got a file showcasing what little I have in my bag of tricks so to speak here:

Prepare for Ear-Rapage!

Uber Noobery in blues, jazz, and rock!

I'm looking for a critique of everything from that recording that you are willing to help with with.

Beyond that, I'm also looking for what I need to work on from this point. By that I mean I need to know what is the next thing to start working on now in addition to what I need to improve on what I have atm.

Thanks for your consideration;
OO

I'd suggest forgetting about theory, critiques and random advice for awhile. Just spend some time playing music on that thing, and appreciate it for what it is. and I mean like actual music, not randomly noodling theoretic concepts or scale patterns over backing tracks. Learn some songs. Don't be too cool to play easy stuff.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 6, 2012,
Just strumming through that progression, it reminded me of something...
Woh Bro! yikes that's a big progression for me. But I'm getting the chords strummed in, mostly with the exception of that C#m chord... that one trips me up atm, but working on it... had to slow it down 50% once I found the function. But I've started to hone in on getting the changes right at the "right" moment.... tricky. Full chords except that C#m btw... that one is a 3 string'er... and I'm not used to strumming that one lol. Time will mend that though.

Might I add wt(fudge) is that? Kinda disney-esq with cross dressing o.0

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Haha its a British comedian. Satire.
Oh shit, didn't think about using the Am up 4 frets LMAO.... gotta get more used to doing that.

I can play barre chords good enough for now... just going from open and bar chords to "nucleus" style 3 string chords is a bit of a trip up... but now I don't even have that. Lol. Thanks for that little reminder hydra.

And as for forgetting theory for a while and just playing. I'm trying to learn to play. But you kinda need the theory in place as a foundation don't ya? I mean if you don't know what a 1 4 5 progression is and how it's all made n shit, how do you know WHAT to play on the guitar to begin with? And the reason why I'm not just learning a tab is because I want to get to where you guys are. Where I can hear a song, go OH A MAJOR! Ok, then it's playing this this and this, ok... now SOLO over that! haha. So how in the world do I forget theory in this context here?

I mean I could go back to learning tabs, but then I don't grow any...I can't know what I'm playing from the tabs, you know?

comedy eh?

oh, well comedy needs context to be able to know that it's comedy lol.

I thought that was just a contestant on x factor, not someone trying to be funny heh.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Oh shit, didn't think about using the Am up 4 frets LMAO.... gotta get more used to doing that.
I can play barre chords good enough for now...

Can you play an Em shape barre chord on the 2nd fret for the F#m and can you play a C#m at the fourth fret (using 5 strings)? If not then you should work on that now, with this song.

Quote by Outside Octaves
And as for forgetting theory for a while and just playing. I'm trying to learn to play. But you kinda need the theory in place as a foundation don't ya?

Nope, you dont learn theory then learn music that conforms to it, you learn music then later learn how it conforms (or doesnt) to theory. Music is the foundation, theory is the explanation. Thats why we are encouraging you to learn songs, so that you have some music in you.
I doubt anyone here learned the theory behind chord progressions and scales before they learned some songs. They spent a few months (or years) playing music on the guitar, learning songs so that the sounds of the instrument and the music became part of them, so that guitar is almost second nature - its from playing lots of music (and practising a ton) that one develops ones musical ear, and grows the ability to improvise and create the desired sounds on the instrument.
Once you have gained an understanding of chord progressions and keys from playing music then it wont be baffling or restricting when you learn the theoretical names and explanations for what you already know.
How much theory do most peoples favourite guitarists know (and I dont mean John Petrucci, Im talking the likes of Hendrix or Slash)? In many cases they dont know a lot of theory, but that isnt a criticism of them, it simply shows that its more important to become very familiar with your instrument and the sounds it makes than being able to explain music in theoretical terms. eg They already understand the functions of chords, but they may not know to call it a 'dominant' chord - music is sound, theory just tries to explain the sound by giving it fancy names.
Theory can help you understand stuff, but it wont make music for you and if you try to learn to play music based on fragments of music theory you read on the internet then it is only going to hinder and confuse you.
Well, then I should stop trying to learn these progressions n stuff... and just spend the next few years on tabs?

As of right now I'm utter confused.

I spend a few years trying to learn music via tab, got nowhere.

Then you guys start helping me with this current course, and now you say I should stop all together and go back to tab? uh?

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
No, learn songs. Dont rely too heavily on tabs, the best way to learn most types of songs is combining chord charts (kinda like the lyric/chord sheet I linked to earlier) with working stuff out by ear. Tab should be used when you cant work out a riff or are trying to learn a solo (for chords and stuff I'd avoid tabs and use a chart with chord names).

I didn't mean to discourage you from learning theory, just dont let it get in the way. Play music, dont let the music play you

Keep learning progressions as they are the basis of songs.

It's just that from some of your posts it seems that you dont have a strong understanding of some of the basics of music (like not being able to see the chord changes in Cryin', and not being able to tell where one bar ends, or not feeling a 12 bar blues), and reading about theory wont fix that as it will just be words, you need to place more emphasis on playing (and therefore hearing) so that you feel this stuff better. Thats why we're saying learn songs, so that you will develop a bit more musicianship.
Okay.

I'm not letting theory get in the way. I'm trying to learn the music. That's all. Seperate from that I'm trying to learn additional things that will help me to play these pieces of music and eventually make my own.

I've said it before. I have a fractured knowledge and thus a severely cracked and deformed foundation of music theory.

I probably know more esoteric things in theory than I do the basics. Or so someone said once.

Anyways... yea um... let's see.

Maybe I just need a song that's more straight forward 4/4 and where the guitar is more up front with a "bigger" tone...

Hmmm.

I wonder if any CCR has this?... time to drag that album out... or maybe something where the guitar is the star so to speak (something without lyrics... a guitar instrumental)... though anything I have on that front seem to be the WAY too hard vai or satch things.... heh.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves

I wonder if any CCR has this?... time to drag that CD out.

Haha brilliant, I was just about to suggest CCR, and am currently listening to fortunate son!
Do you use torrenting software? I have some links that you might find very useful ...
It is illeagel to do such things, but well... I'm not opposed to such things . I already have the chronicals album for CCR...

I've got a crap ton of good albums.... no, a metric F(bomb) ton. Still not enough though LMAO. I've got a fever and it can only be cured by.... (wait for it) ... more good ol' rock!

But uhm... whatcha recommend?

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
It is illeagel to do such things, but well... I'm not opposed to such things . I already have the chronicals album for CCR...

I've got a crap ton of good albums.... no, a metric F(bomb) ton. Still not enough though LMAO. I've got a fever and it can only be cured by.... (wait for it) ... more good ol' rock!

But uhm... whatcha recommend?

Im talking about instructional videos. Ill PM you, linking to such things would get one banned.
BOMBS AWAY with that pm ... let 'er rip.

I'll be waiting.

As far as the rest of this um?

BTW:
What I have already:

Fretboard Logic 1 2 and 3 books, steve vai's 30 hour workout book, some articles n such, I've got the videos to go with 1 and to on FBL, um... but that's it.... oh and I have one of those complete guide to music theory books. Heh, gotta find the title for it somewhere round here, all baught... :shiftyeyes: lol.

ehehm:

So, um.... .... ... what we waiting on? LOL. Looking up links to legit and totally legal sites? :shiftyeyes:

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
You worked out how to check your inbox yet?
Page 1 of 2