I've been doing a lot of research and based on numerous reviews, videos and general advice from friends, I have come to the conclusion that I want a PRS SE, being that I am a beginner and these particular guitars offer great bang for the buck!

Now I've hit a wall and can't seem to decide which PRS to buy between these two:
1) PRS Tremonti SE
2) PRS SE Santana

I do prefer the look of the Santana, but is it really worth the extra $200? Also, I have medium-sized hands and its neck seems significantly wider than the Tremonti's. Please help!
The Santana has a tremolo, which may or may not be useful. Plus a maple top (maybe just a veneer), which will add some nice high end. Double cutaway makes things so much easier to reach up on the higher frets.

For $200 more, I'd rather have the Santana, or better yet the Custom 24 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-24-electric-guitar/h70029
Out of those two? The tremonti, the Santana is slightly better but not $200 better. But really don't get either. You'll be better of with an SE 245 or an SE Sinflecut Trem if you want one with a trem. They have better pickups (IMO) and a wider range of finishes available + they don't make you look like a fanboy because of a stupid signature.
Both have wide fat necks, shouldnt be much different beside the short scale on the santana.
The santana does have a maple top under that flamed maple veneer, so it should be a fair bit brighter.
I have the Custom 24 and I prefer it or my Les Paul. I love this guitar I can play any style with it. If I had to pick between those two I'd go with the Santana...Good luck.
Quote by Wisthekiller
The Santana has a tremolo, which may or may not be useful. Plus a maple top (maybe just a veneer), which will add some nice high end. Double cutaway makes things so much easier to reach up on the higher frets.

For $200 more, I'd rather have the Santana, or better yet the Custom 24 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-24-electric-guitar/h70029

Hmm...comparing the Custom 24 to the Santana, it appears they are very similar except that the Custom 24 has a 25" neck and 24 frets vs. the 24 1/2" neck and 22 frets for the Santana. Yet the Custom 24 is cheaper and with an even thinner neck. Seems like a no-brainer to me if I had to choose between those two!
I'd be willing to take a look at other PRS models around the same price range, $1100 or less. I only initially narrowed down my query to those two models because they seem to have the most reviews with the highest average ratings within that price range, and obviously because I like their looks. Unfortunately, living overseas for the military limits my ability to feel these guitars in person, so here I am...
What kind of music do you play?
Any shapes/ specs you prefer?

Im pretty sure the torero is the top $$ SE, and easily under your budget, so you can have any se you'd like.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
What kind of music do you play?
Any shapes/ specs you prefer?

Im pretty sure the torero is the top $$ SE, and easily under your budget, so you can have any se you'd like.

I'd like to learn more blues/jazzy stuff with some modern rock...not so much metal. I'm really digging the double cutaway bodies, which is probably why I keep shying away from the Tremonti I initially posted. I do like the look of the Torero if it is actually worth that price tag compared to the other SE models?
The torero is a great guitar. Tbh it was a coin flip whether to sell my torero or my rg prestige.
The torero left, but it played just as well. Even the painted/finished neck was surprisingly comfortable, quite fast and had a great heel. All said I would avoid it since you would prolly need new pups and may not need the floyd rose. Its a metal guitar through and through.

+1 to the custom 24.
Quote by BIGtenMaDbAdGeR
I've been doing a lot of research and based on numerous reviews, videos and general advice from friends, I have come to the conclusion that I want a PRS SE, being that I am a beginner and these particular guitars offer great bang for the buck!

Now I've hit a wall and can't seem to decide which PRS to buy between these two:
1) PRS Tremonti SE
2) PRS SE Santana

I do prefer the look of the Santana, but is it really worth the extra $200? Also, I have medium-sized hands and its neck seems significantly wider than the Tremonti's. Please help!

When you say you prefer the look of the Santana, do you mean the Body Shape or how the wood/finish looks in example photos?
The 2011 Santana model does get a lot of praise because of its completeness (carved top, birds, Santana SE pups, same contour). Apart from the birds I don't think the Tremonti SE really got many extra's lately... if you were to go for Single Cut, I'd aim at a regular SE245 rather than the Tremonti sig. Suits your music taste better as well.

But the upcoming Custom 24 has pretty much the same features as the Santana - carved top, birds, etc. as well as coil splitting. That said it is probably more versatile.

Between the two you suggested I'd go with the Santana hands down, but considering what you want to play I'd also suggest having a look at the Custom 24, simply because of its versatility. The price is pretty much the same as the Santana anyway.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Last edited by Azunaii at Apr 6, 2012,
They are not the same beast. The santana will much brighter -maple top + curly maple veneer- and haves a trem, and better accesss to high frets. I tried both, and I can say that the Tremonti is more suited for distortion, while the Santana haves sweeter and more articualte cleans.
Quote by thehikingdude
When you say you prefer the look of the Santana, do you mean the Body Shape or how the wood/finish looks in example photos?

Both! I also like how it looks in all black. I'm just a little worried about how thick the fret board is for my small-medium hands, which is why I am now leaning towards the new SE Custom 24...not sure if I'm digging the whale blue, though. It's hard to tell from the pics.
Quote by BIGtenMaDbAdGeR
I'd like to learn more blues/jazzy stuff with some modern rock...not so much metal. I'm really digging the double cutaway bodies, which is probably why I keep shying away from the Tremonti I initially posted. I do like the look of the Torero if it is actually worth that price tag compared to the other SE models?

Even though the Torero is also a great guitar for what it is, it has a Floyd Rose tremolo which can be frustrating to deal with, way more difficult to deal with than the tremolo on the Santana or Custom when it comes to restringing and changing tunings. It takes dedication to learn how to properly set up a Floyd, and I don't recommend it to a beginner.

I too recommend checking into the Custom 24. The wide-thin neck profiles are very comfortable to play with. The Santana will be nice too, as the shorter scale length will mean less string tension. Plus, anything with Santana on it is going to be good for Bluesy/Jazzy/Rocky stuff :P

PRS makes fantastic guitars, you're going to win no matter which one you choose.
Quote by BIGtenMaDbAdGeR
Both! I also like how it looks in all black. I'm just a little worried about how thick the fret board is for my small-medium hands, which is why I am now leaning towards the new SE Custom 24...not sure if I'm digging the whale blue, though. It's hard to tell from the pics.

Ohyou.jpg

Inb4 no 10 top on an se.

Inb4 no 10 top on an se.

Holy cow! That's the new Custom 24 SE?!! It looks just like the real PRS! So what are the main differences between these and the expensive PRS Custom 24's?
Quote by T00NES

Inb4 no 10 top on an se.

Holy cow! That's the new Custom 24 SE?!! It looks just like the real PRS! So what are the main differences between these and the expensive PRS Custom 24's?

Absolutely everything on the USA PRS models is better.
Electronics, hardware, finish ect.

SEs are still great guitars nonetheless
That is most certainly NOT an SE! Though I wish it was! Custom SE's have a flat top, and I think a bevel along the side. They would look a hell of a lot better with more curve on the top.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Ohyou.jpg

Inb4 no 10 top on an se.

This is a USA PRS Custom 24 in USA whale blue. Why this is not the SE? Carved top, rotary switch, cream pickup ring, abalone birds.. The SE whale blue is a lot mor like a USA Royal blue, BTW.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by Ghostmaker
That is most certainly NOT an SE! Though I wish it was! Custom SE's have a flat top, and I think a bevel along the side. They would look a hell of a lot better with more curve on the top.

The new SE Custom 24 will have a semi-carve, so not entirely flat top ;-)

@ OP, you can see the Whale blue color in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DygzuooBE

It also comes in Tobacco Smokeburst:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6nvCmVmvw&feature=relmfu
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Why would someone go with the whale blue over the burst?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Why would someone go with the whale blue over the burst?

Cos it's sexy and so much more unique that a burst.
Simples.
But blue only looks nice on PRSs and Les Pauls.
for $800 i'd find a used USA "standard 24" or a used USA "CE" model.

they go for that these days if you look around.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
How much would it cost to get a rotary switched installed on my guitar?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
How much would it cost to get a rotary switched installed on my guitar?

Judging by your sig, I'm guessing you currently have a push/pull tone pot installed? If so, it's a pretty cheap and easy switch. I don't know why you'd want the rotary switch though.
Quote by Shpongled
Judging by your sig, I'm guessing you currently have a push/pull tone pot installed? If so, it's a pretty cheap and easy switch. I don't know why you'd want the rotary switch though.

Yeah, rotary switches are a hassle. That's why PRS started making the newer Custom 24's with the 5 way blade switch. Alot more efficient and practical. Plus, IMO, the blade looks way cooler.
Quote by T00NES
Yeah, rotary switches are a hassle. That's why PRS started making the newer Custom 24's with the 5 way blade switch. Alot more efficient and practical. Plus, IMO, the blade looks way cooler.

how do i get the "singles/series wiring" combination when i only have a coil tapping option?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.