so i finally traded in a few pedals and picked up a used metal muff w/ top boost (also grabbed a tc electronics flashback delay but that is irrelevant).

i swapped out my mxr fullbore for the metal muff after being told here i would be able to get a more amp like distortion from it. i've been toying with it for a couple hours and its just OK. i can't quite find a sweetspot for it.

so my question is a 2 part question:

A) does anyone have any EQing suggestions? (its going through the front of a VHT special 6 ultra, using schecter with active emg's)

B) there was also 2 used tube pedals there. http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-dual/ @ $150

does anyone have any experience with the blackstar pedals and would that one be worth getting and be able to get tight, fairly saturated "metal" ish tones (think all that remains, killswitch... etc
The tc flashback is far more relevant than a metal muff in my opinion. Id go look at the pro co turbo rat ($50 used) the digitech hardwire metal distorion ($100 ish new), the visual sound jekyll and hyde ($80 used its a dirt and an od) or the barber dirty bomb I think its 120 new don't qoute me on it. Also have you considered getting an od, boost, eq or a completly diffrent amp if your that unhappy and you keep switching dirt pedals? Sorry if I don't appear that help full but the blackstar pedal is pretty meh for the price and a od or eq would more than likely bring you closer to what you are looking for.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Are you trying to play Cryptopsy on a modified champ clone? get a new amp, bro!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by losing battle
The tc flashback is far more relevant than a metal muff in my opinion. Id go look at the pro co turbo rat ($50 used) the digitech hardwire metal distorion ($100 ish new), the visual sound jekyll and hyde ($80 used its a dirt and an od) or the barber dirty bomb I think its 120 new don't qoute me on it. Also have you considered getting an od, boost, eq or a completly diffrent amp if your that unhappy and you keep switching dirt pedals? Sorry if I don't appear that help full but the blackstar pedal is pretty meh for the price and a od or eq would more than likely bring you closer to what you are looking for.

there was a used jekyll and hyde for $50. is that something i should grab?

and as to the amp suggestion, i use this amp just as a clean amp to run dirt pedals through. its not worth me spending a ton on an amp because i'm off to college for the fall semester. maybe after next summer i'll put some serious cash into a new amp but its not cost effective for me right now
If its in good shape yeah. Go check out some videos first to see if its the distortion your looking for, Ive used one for 5 years the sharp/blunt switch acts weird every now and again but I pretty much abused it so. The od side is a pretty good tubescreamer clone especially in a metal scenerio. so if or when you upgrade your amp you have a pretty solid tube screamer clone instead of a dirt pedal collecting dust. At 50 bucks its definatly worth looking into imo.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Apr 7, 2012,