Hello, I just got a 4x12'' cabinet. its kinda custom build, i got it from an uncle, and i dont know the Ohm, it doesn't say it anywhere, and it doesnt have a brand or stickers or anything. and right now its in the 16 ohm input on my amp (and idk if thats right). but it get incredibly hot, i almost burned my hand when i touched the top of the amp? does it need to be re biased? when i do clean channel, the amp/tube are still getting hot...
wo wo wo

hold on

1. Always match ohms with tube amps
2. What amp do you have?
3. What cab do you have - what kind of jacks/speakers?
4. Can you take the back of the cab off?
5. Do you have a multimeter?
6. Yes, often some tube amps need to be biased...but not all
7. Mismatched ohms would not necessarily make the amp hot like that
8. Do you have a camera?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wo wo wo

hold on

1. Always match ohms with tube amps
2. What amp do you have?
3. What cab do you have - what kind of jacks/speakers?
4. Can you take the back of the cab off?
5. Do you have a multimeter?
6. Yes, often some tube amps need to be biased...but not all
7. Mismatched ohms would not necessarily make the amp hot like that
8. Do you have a camera?

1.-
2.its in the title : marshall jcm 2000 DSL 100
3. custom build, no brand
4. i dont think so
5.no
8.no =( poor me
If the amp expects less ohms than the cab has you are usually ok. So what I would do if you have no way of knowing the cabs impedance is to put it into the lowest ohm output of your head, 4 Ohms if you have one. Definetely better than putting it into the 16 Ohm one with a cab that is just as likely to be 8 or 4 Ohms, forcing your output transformer to handle double or 4 times the power.
you NEVER plug into a cab you dont know the ohm's of. they always need to matched. and there has to be a way to take the back off
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Is this a new amp or only new cab? Where are putting your hand? The tubes can get very hot without mismatch, however you don't want to blow your output transformer.
Some DSL's do run hot, even when biased properly. What revision circuit board is in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Some DSL's do run hot, even when biased properly. What revision circuit board is in it?

no idea sorry. i think the amp is from 2002. (as i see in the serial number)
Last edited by holywins183 at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by R45VT
Is this a new amp or only new cab? Where are putting your hand? The tubes can get very hot without mismatch, however you don't want to blow your output transformer.

the hand on the plastic air vent thingy. right above the tubes.

And my uncle (previous owner) wasnt sure of the Ohm but he thought it was 16 ohm
take a ohm meter and test the resistance, if its a 16ohm cab it should read some where close to that.
RG320DXQM
RG4EXQM1
S370DX
GRGA42QA
Washburn WR 150
lotus les paul copy
special 112
valveking 100 watt head
ADA MP1 & MP2
QUDRAVERB
Msp4
MORLEY BAD HORSIE WAH
RX412 Randall cab
2x12 with eminence legends
Quote by moosejr
take a ohm meter and test the resistance, if its a 16ohm cab it should read some where close to that.

i dont have an ohm meter...

and is it normal for a dsl 100 to be that hot???
Sweet jesus... unplug everything - go down to your local hardware or auto store and buy a cheap ohmmeter/multimeter you should be able to get one for under $10. Either that or take the back off, it HAS to have a way to come undone unless it was built with liquid nails