The title says it all really. Im looking for a good travel guitar. To bring to the beach, camping, and when I go traveling.

I've looked at the Martin LXM, Martin Backpacker, and the Cort Earth Travel. Are any of these worth buying? If you guys know any other good ones, please tell me!
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
just use your yamaha
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I'd either get my hands on an inexpensive beater that I don't care much about- replacing it as needed- or I'd get a quality small-scale guitar.

Of the latter, I've been looking hard at a Tacoma Papoose, Veilette Gryphon (6 or 12), the Rainsong Shorty. Maybe an Ovation Trekker.

I've also been considering one of Jon Kammerer's small-bodied semihollow electrics.

This is after looking at a variety of the inexpensive "backpackers" and just not liking them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I've also been considering one of Jon Kammerer's small-bodied semihollow electrics.
This would be the point I'd also suggest auditioning one of the Ibanez "Talmans". One of those would be cheap and pretty rugged, and should sound better than a true "travel guitar". (That's a choose to believe it or not, on the "should sound better" point").

"
The problem with most true "travel guitars" is that they are designed for travel first, acoustics second.

With the exception of the JKG, all the ones I mentioned- and the Talman- are compact but with more attention placed on the acoustic aspect than the travel aspect.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Taylor GS-Mini, a bit on the expensive side, but tone and play-ability are unmatched IMO. Before buying mine, i compared it to a Martin DXM, (which was also a couple hundred dollars more expensive, mind you) and despite the fact that the DXM had a fuller more bassier sound due it being a full sized guitar, i thought the Mini really held its own against it. Plus the quality taylor pack into their guitars is unparalleled. Check it out!
I do not generally speak ill of another man's guitar, but I will say this private and in public, I despise backpacker guitars. Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, do not make us listen to you play your backpacker at the beach.

Get a knock-around anything else. Anything.
Am i the only one who noticed his "yamaha 310 <3" thing in his sig?

what are the characteristics of a travel guitar? you want to be able to abuse it without worrying about the consequences? leave it out in the sun without it warping? pass it around the campfire like a drunk slut giving lapdances for smores? use it to ward off unfriendly wildlife? Why not just get a second yamaha 310 <3 ??? they're only like 150 bucks, you seem to like it, and it fits the bill.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
you just be quiet with all that common sense talk mikey !!!! if he wants waste his hard earned smores money on a backpacker... so be it.
How about a Gene Simmons, "Axe" bass? You know, in case you run into a bear...

Or, choose one with actual strings.... (Invalid img)
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 8, 2012,
there ya go, you can even use it to chop the backpacker guitars into firewood
Quote by stepchildusmc
+1 for the Gene Simmons Axe bass. It's seems to be the best choice. You can even use the thick bass strings to make shelter if you got lost in the jungle.
uhhh yeah, I know I sure wouldn't want to bring my Taylor or Martin to the beach or have it passed around a campfire! Just get something cheap that plays, it's a beater. You won't be playing shows with it, so I wouldn't drop a lot of money on this because it won't stay in perfect condition. But...I also don't have a lot of money.
I have to admit, one of the best travel guitars I have ever purchased was a slightly used Martin LXM!

This little Martin has travelled through countless airports, on cruises, on camping trips, and on long car rides (I wasn't driving and playing I swear!)

What I love about this guitar is that it is slightly smaller at 3/4 sized and features a durable, yet quality build of HBL top, Micarta wood fretboard, and an interesting neck made of what Martin calls Stratabond. Basically, this guitar is designed to last but actually sounds and plays like an actual Martin.

When I first saw this guitar in the music store I thought it looked like a good looking toy. Turns out the guitar plays like a dream and the action is quite nice and allows for easy soloing even over the 12th fret.

I do wish the guitar had a real wood backing and sides; Martin uses a composite material but it seems more durable than actual wood and it still sounds good.