Page 1 of 2
An an optom student, I'm curious about this.

3D stuff has been around for quite a while, being a huge deal in the 80s, I believe, and is now having this huge comeback with Avatar in 3D thanks to James Wankeron.

Also, you got the 3DS selling well, 3D TVs being sold with glasses...

And to add to that I hear Sony is trying to make a 3D TV that does not require glasses.

So waddayall think? Is it here to stay or it gonna come around and leave again just like emos?
I think all new media go through several stages
-It starts with a new and innovative idea
-Then, it gets copied by everyone trying to compete with the original
-It becomes oversaturated
-It's forgotten for a while
-It comes back and is used sparingly and tastefully, on par with any other medium/technique

It's happened in music: listen to records from the 80's. They had shittons of synths, chorus, reverb on everything, and over-the-top shred guitar in the metal songs. These were all relatively new things at the time, so they were abused for a bit. Then by the 90's, people grew sick of it, and it faded out for a bit. In today's music, any of those things can be used, but usually in a more reserved manner. It's not used because its popular, but because it is appropriate for the given setting.

Having said that, I think the current state of 3D cinema has a lot of flaws. It seems more like an extension of 2D rather than a separate medium.

Maybe one day we'll have 3D that looks like real actors on a stage, rather than a bunch of layered images.
no. it's disgusting.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
It will probably be replaced by similar technology like holograms or something.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
they're really pushing for it but it has the feeling of an intermediate phase that's here just for people like sony to make a bit of extra cash. kind of like how mini discs, windows me, nintendo gamecube etc. were all slight technical upgrades but no real advancements and felt worse than their predecessors.
it'll be here for a few years then something remarkable will probably come along that i won't care about but people who are suddenly into technology will go nuts.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
There are already tv's that have 3D without glasses, quite a few in Japan/Korea/Chine I believe, and several are supposedly coming out in the UK this year (Sony is one brand... I believe Samsung and Toshiba both have ones coming out as well). I've only watched 3D stuff at cinemas and think it would be better if the glasses fitted better/closer (I have a big nose, so what ) but the 3DS is a pile of $hit in my opinion... have to keep playing with the depth control or it looks crap the moment you slightly alter your perspective.

Also, this:
Quote by sashki

Having said that, I think the current state of 3D cinema has a lot of flaws. It seems more like an extension of 2D rather than a separate medium.

Maybe one day we'll have 3D that looks like real actors on a stage, rather than a bunch of layered images.

To me, it looks kinda like when you zoom in on something with binoculars and you get that stacked view as though the light is being stretched out to give artificial depth your eyes can't normally pick out.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Apr 6, 2012,
I prefer 4D personal. It's awesome when the chair shakes and everything else. Other wise unless it's part of a ride at a park like Bush Gardens I think it's just a big fad.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Quote by sashki

They can use lasers to put two binocular images onto your retinas, and fill your entire visual field with the images. That's the future, I hope.
I don't like 3D at all. When I see 3D films in cinemas because my friends absolutely decided we must see it in 3D, it usually ruins the movie for me. The colours are washed, it gives me a headache, and it just isn't pleasing on the eyes. All it is doing is giving layers, which isn't really that spectacular to me.

Maybe when they make actual virtual reality movies I'll be interested.
West Ham United
Quote by untalented
kind of like how mini discs, windows me, nintendo gamecube etc. were all slight technical upgrades but no real advancements and felt worse than their predecessors.

get out.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i think 3d sucks as it is now. it has a long way to go, if that is even possible.

why buy a 3d tv set for your family that gives a weird somewhat 3d effect for the person straight in front of it and shitty distortovision for everybody else? and how the hell do you fix something like this without making the tv expensive as f*ck? if it even can be fixed.

my brother bought a 3ds. it's shit. and it gives me a headache. apparently it's also terrible for your eyes and brain..

2d for me please, at least until the hologram era
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
It'll fade out.

It goes in 30 year cycles, it seems. 3d was big in the 50's then faded out then it hade a comeback in the 80's and then faded out and it's doing it again.

They're already making far fewer than they were.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I agree, the gamecube was the shit

Yup. No real advancements, my ass. Metroid prime 2 has beautiful graphics. Goldeneye doesn't even come close, for example. Melee is 100 times better than the original super smash bros.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
Yup. No real advancements, my ass. Metroid prime 2 has beautiful graphics. Goldeneye doesn't even come close, for example. Melee is 100 times better than the original super smash bros.

What about Windwaker's awesomeness?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
What about Windwaker's awesomeness?

Ah, forgot about that. I never really got to play it
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
Ah, forgot about that. I never really got to play it

Shame bro

It's a great game. I need to get Twilight Princess so I can finish it. I can't find the GC version at Gamestop, I don't know if I want to buy a Wii yet.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I agree, the gamecube was the shit

yes
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Quote by MetalheadforJC
I prefer 4D personal. It's awesome when the chair shakes and everything else. Other wise unless it's part of a ride at a park like Bush Gardens I think it's just a big fad.

4D? Wtf is that? Having a chair shake is not 4D...

I think 3D is complete shit. It doesn't usually give me headaches but it's just... not any better than regular 2D. Layered images are just distracting while not making it any more realistic. I don't understand the appeal.

Hopefully it does not last. Movies imo should just be a video/ audio thing to me. I don't want shaking chairs and pictures popping out at me.

Games on the other hand I can see the appeal but 3D glasses just make it feel like layered images, not 3-dimensional. I look forward to augmented reality on things like wind shields and glasses.

I will however say that the 3DS looks amazing. I prefer the graphics in Ocarina of Time in 3D to anything else I ever played. It's just amazing.
Day man
Fighter of the Night man
Champion of the sun
You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone
Anyone want to confirm if the 3D capabilities of PS3 games on a 3D TV is as awesome as I want it to be?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Sorry bro.

It's exactly like watching TV in 3D, except it's killzone.

I was hoping playing the remake of Ico on a 3D TV would be amazing. The HD remake is already amazing as it is.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I honestly don't see the big difference between 3D and 2D other than the cost. Also I noticed that 3D glasses tend to make it harder for me to read texts on screen and gives me a headache.
It's a gimmick
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
get out.

i know my opinion of the gamecube seems unpopular but i'm going to stick with it even if it is going slightly off topic.
advancements came in the form of graphics which, like i said, were technical advancements. the games, however, were pretty lame in comparison to the 64 ones and i owned both consoles. when the 64 came out it was like nothing i'd seen before. playing mario 64 was completely new but mario sunshine was just a lame rehash. it's probably good if you missed the hype of the 64 era after playing 2D games all your life up to that point. after the gamecube i honestly thought nintendo would go down in the face of its competitors but then the wii came along to show that the gamecube was just an intermediate phase between the 64 and the wii (which i don't own).
bear in mind that it's also just my opinion. as an alternative i'll point to the pager as a phase where people didn't want to hold brick phones but also wanted to be in the know.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by captaincrunk
They can use lasers to put two binocular images onto your retinas, and fill your entire visual field with the images. That's the future, I hope.

This wasn't a joke. This would be perfect 3D. The only problem is that everyone in the room would need a set if they wanted to watch.
Am I the only one slightly disappointed that almost everything is done on the green screen now? Sure, it creates a huge and impressive scope for visuals. But I kinda miss the ingenuity put into something that wasn't entirely digital.

More on topic: I hate 3D. No ifs ands or buts.
to me, its a gimick.. virtual reality will be so much better..

for games and shit anyway..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by FryingNemo
Am I the only one slightly disappointed that almost everything is done on the green screen now?

I noticed that too. I was watching an older movie and I noticed that everything looked different because it was real
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
No. I absolutely HATE 3D and refuse to see anything in it. Its too distracting and annoying to me. I wish it would just die already. I'm perfectly fine with 2D, and probably would prefer 2D to whatever is in the future.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I noticed that too. I was watching an older movie and I noticed that everything looked different because it was real

This. I also hate all of the CG stuff. It takes the art out of making a movie, kills jobs in certain departments, and just looks terrible. Green screens and CG piss me off. The ONLY good CG I saw was the zombies in Dead Snow. I didn't even know most of them were CG at all.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Apr 6, 2012,
Page 1 of 2