Hi, I'm an intermediate guitarist and I'm stuck playing the same stuff over and over again, feeling pretty uninspired. I've been playing on and off for about 10 years now and I'm nowhere near where I want to be with my playing. For reference of my abilities, I can play some of the easier Malmsteen riffs, (I am A Viking, etc) but I suck at soloing and I'm pretty down on my playing. I've thought about getting a tutor, but I'm not a people person at all and my playing is worse when I play in front of people, but I need to progress. What books, DVDs, etc do you suggest that I work through? I want to take my playing more seriously, but I don't know where to go next.

TLDR; What should I learn?
DVDs and books never did me any good. For me, inspiration comes from checking out new and completely different music. Try Pandora, or ask for recommendations from some people here on UG. Also, do you do warmups and stuff? Because those can really improve your playing.
I've learned everything that I know up to this point from just picking a song and learning it, or part of it. I have no real knowledge of scales and only basic musical theory knowledge, just what "sounds right" to my ears. My warmup is just playing. I've got myself into a situation where I'm too advanced to start again, but not good enough to move onto advanced stuff, if that makes sense?
My guitar playing friends, who are all over fifty, enroll in our Community College's guitar ensemble courses, and have a great time learning new stuff and playing with others. Take any music or guitar course at your local school.
Get over yourself, help yourself, and get on with it, if it means that much to you. Good luck.
Try taking lessons? They're quite helpful if you have a knowledgeable teacher. Since you're into Malmsteen, I'd suggest learning the major scale shapes, along with the basic pentatonic box shapes. Once you practice and memorize those, you'll be flying all over the fretboard.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
get a guitar teacher that feeling of playing in front of somebody will go away within 2 lessons. im the same way ive had a teacher for a month and if you get a good one it will help alot
Stop sitting in your basement crooning over your guitar learning covers and actually write your own music. You will never get anywhere just "learning songs". Sorry to sound so rude, but I wish more musicians would get this into their head when they first begin instead of becoming human jukeboxes who just know covers. MY advice to you would be to forgo ANY books or lessons or any of that shite, and teach yourself. Play to things by ear, forget about learning it note for note. That teaches nothing but memorization, not how to play along to music by the sound. IMO, lessons stunt creativity the most!
Quote by head-case
Stop sitting in your basement crooning over your guitar learning covers and actually write your own music. You will never get anywhere just "learning songs". !

I do write my own stuff, frequently. But you can only write so much with the skills you have. If you only know 5 words, your only sentences will be a combination of those 5 words.

To anyone that was interested, I've booked a tutor. I'm going for grades, so I won't miss anything that I need to know. Cheers for the imput, guys.
Play with other guitarists, you learn a lot that way!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
As much as you aren't a people person (I'm not really one either), a good instructor is the best learning tool out there. a good instructor will teach technique, theory and composition in a logical way. you will learn how to play guitar rather than how to play songs (there is a difference!!!!)

I was in the same boat as you until I started to learn my theory really well. As I learned the theory, I realized how much potential the guitar had, and I was re-motivated to practice all my techniques so that I could make the most of my theory knowledge. it is really fun when you can start composing your own stuff, or just jamming over tunes and coming up with ideas
All I will say is learn theory and stuffs. You will understand why musicians put a particular chord or progression into a particular part of a song. Learn your scale forms too. They helps.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Go meet other musicians, and just jam, have a good time. I've gotten better doing that in the last year then I have in 6 years prior to that year
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by sk8board3r
Go meet other musicians, and just jam, have a good time. I've gotten better doing that in the last year then I have in 6 years prior to that year

this is great advice. it'll help you get over your fear of playing with other people, and it'll be a source of motivation. different guitarists will show you different techniques that could spark your creativity. also, there is something to be said for playing a complete song rather than just playing along to a recording. it just feels better to make music than to play along