So yep, not too much to say about this one. I picked up an ISP Decimator today and boy, does this thing do its job well. I've had the TS9 for a couple weeks now but never did a NPD for it so I'll do that here now. On to the review and rundown but first, here's some pics.

ISP Decimator

I'll just cut to the chase and say it. This pedal is worth the higher price of entry compared to other gates and suppressors. With every gate and noise suppressor I tried, there was a slight altering of the sound whether it was a slight scoop of the midrange or a removal of some high end cut. But this pedal is completely transparent. There is no change in tone whatsoever and the gate catches on super quick. It helps out with that start/stop riffing and really tames my 5150 making playing at performance volumes completely manageable with no feedback at all. Other than how it functions, it's built like an absolute tank. This thing weighs a lot more than you'd think and the finish is awesome. The completely chrome body really stands out and looks great and the LED is nice, bright, and visible from all angles. And it couldn't get any simpler. The single knob to change the threshold is simple and the pedal just plain works and works well. I'm not a huge fan of massive pedal boards and like to keep things simple and this truly is simplicity at its finest. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of an NS-2 or something, but that's where it shines in my opinion. It does what it needs to and it does it better than everything else and, at the end of the day, that's what matters.

Ibanez TS9

I'm sure everyone's had some experience with this pedal and for good reason; it's a solid pedal with a proven track record and a great sound. I'm using it as a boost to add tightness rather than gain to my 5150 and, in that regard, it shines. It adds a nice hump to the high end and midrange and really helps palm mutes and riffs to cut through the mix a little better while also giving a mean bite to palm muted chugs. It really shows itself with fast riffing and the likes as the emphasis on tightness and the tonal boost to the mids really helps to separate notes and bring out individual notes a little more. I know a lot of people really like the OD808 in front of the 5150/6505 as well and I tried it out and I was in fact impressed. That said, I liked the tone a little better from the TS9 and the OD808, while excellent in its own right, wasn't hitting the sweet spot for me like the TS9 did. Other than that, the build quality is also excellent and I love the color. There's just something about the seasick green that gets me . I do have a few tiny gripes though. The LED indicator is very hard to see when you are looking at the pedal from anywhere other than directly above it. It's a minor gripe considering you can tell it's on just from your tone, but it still irks me when I'm across the room and can't tell if it's engaged or not. Also, the pedal's button itself is sometimes a little awkward to hit compared to the pedal switch design of the ISP Decimator as you have to land directly on top of it. That said, it's a minor gripe and it's simply me nitpicking but hey, I'm trying to be unbiased

And here's just a quick shot of my current rig.

Well, there it is guys! I'm extremely happy with my tone and I absolutely love my current setup. While I love messing with different sounds and different pedals just as much as anyone, I like to keep it simple and, if you ask me, the fewer pedals to color the sound, the better. With just the TS9 and the Decimator, I'm getting the sound I've always wanted and I couldn't be happier! Thanks for reading guys and feel free to ask questions and give suggestions for other pedals and such! Thanks for reading!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Why are you running the isp in front? The 5150 needs gating in the loop, not in front.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Why are you running the isp in front? The 5150 needs gating in the loop, not in front.

I have yet to try it in the loop but it's been working nicely in the front. I'll give it a shot though.

EDIT: Tried it in the loop and I like it much better out in front of the TS9 before the input. Just works better for me I guess.
Taylor 214CE

Last edited by Krauser at Apr 6, 2012,
Meh. I've seen way more obnoxiously chrome pedals than the Decimator. Got one on my board right now. Fun duo of pedals though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I was expecting some Blackstar pedals............now those are obnoxiously chome

And are you going to just run them on batteries constantly?

HN(Multiple)PD!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
And are you going to just run them on batteries constantly?

As of now yeah but I'm gonna grab a couple power supplies later. I don't know if it's worth it to get one of those pedal power supplies that does multiple units because I'm not really planning on getting anything else... maybe a tuner. Was thinking of a pitch black. And thanks!
Taylor 214CE

Nice.

Let me just say that you will hear just as much difference between two different TS9's as you will between a TS9 and an 808.
All you can say is that you prefer it over the one you heard. It was probably one sub-optimal component in there (like a leaky cap) that changed the whole experience for you. On another day with two different pedals you may think the opposite was the case.

You can test this for yourself, you just have to change two resistors to turn that into an 808.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
Let me just say that you will hear just as much difference between two different TS9's as you will between a TS9 and an 808.
All you can say is that you prefer it over the one you heard. It was probably one sub-optimal component in there (like a leaky cap) that changed the whole experience for you. On another day with two different pedals you may think the opposite was the case.

You can test this for yourself, you just have to change two resistors to turn that into an 808.

Word I know what you mean. It's like every piece of musical equipment. Each one has its own thing going for it and no two are the same. That said, I've tried a few different Maxon OD808's and multiple TS9's and, while they're all different in slight variations, the TS9, to me, has a different tone than the OD808. I just happen to prefer the TS9 tone I got. I was thinking about the 808 mod but I'm quite happy with my current tone
Taylor 214CE

That mod won't change the tone. It's not a mod worth doing. If you are going to mod a TS9 you mod things you can hear. There are plenty of things you can do to change the tone if you ever get tired of it and want to alter it slightly. The TS is probably the most modded pedal in existence, so much info out there on how to do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That mod won't change the tone. It's not a mod worth doing. If you are going to mod a TS9 you mod things you can hear. There are plenty of things you can do to change the tone if you ever get tired of it and want to alter it slightly. The TS is probably the most modded pedal in existence, so much info out there on how to do it.

Yeah I'm not too concerned with modding it. There's not much I really want from my tone right now. I've pretty much hit the nail on the head with regards to what I like with this setup. The only thing I really have left to get that would get me 100% comfortable with my tone is a new set of pickups. I'm saving up for a set of Aftermaths as of now for the Prestige.
Taylor 214CE

Nice... have been stalking a Decimator on ebay for the last few days actually - how do you find it at lower/studio volumes?
Quote by zero
Nice... have been stalking a Decimator on ebay for the last few days actually - how do you find it at lower/studio volumes?

I practice at lower volumes (about 0.5 to 1 on the post) and it works perfectly. Of course all the benefit comes with higher volumes and being able to gate and quiet all your feedback and such but at lower volumes it still quiets things up and works very well. It's a really welcomed addition.
Taylor 214CE

Sweet, I might grab it then... iv been looking for something just to clean up a bit of hiss and this may be the shot... plus its shiny
Quote by zero
Sweet, I might grab it then... iv been looking for something just to clean up a bit of hiss and this may be the shot... plus its shiny

If it's noise at all, this thing will stop it and it does a damn good job. If you're really concerned about the transparency of a pedal and care about getting something that will not color your tone at all, definitely look at the ISP. It's great in that regard.
Taylor 214CE

Nice. :cheersI because my gain comes from a pedal (I got no gain chanel) it tends to choke the highs the more it is turned up, I was wondering if this happens to you or anyone else or is it the fact I'm daisy chaining 9 pedals and brutalizing the front of my amp? Don't mean to be a downer I'm just curious herr.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.