So I can set up my drums easily inside Sonar X1 but I just prefer the workflow of FL Studio's step sequencer WAY more over sonar. So until I get my midi keyboard I need to somehow get Abbey road to work in FL Studio. I can now load abbey road and get all the sounds from the piano roll, but I want to be able to send each AR channel to a channel on FL Studio so i can use the step sequencer. any ideas on how to do this?
Not sure how abbey road is setup but if the VSTi has midi out for each channel on the drums you can open the MIDI Out in FL (must be opened for each piece of kit) and select the input of the midi out to be the output of each abbey road drum sound so if kick is channel 1 midi out should take the input from midi 1 to make a sound. if snare is midi 2 then midi out takes input of midi out 2.

EDIT: You best bet is to sequence on the piano roll in my opinion
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 6, 2012,
why does everyone sequence on the piano roll? What's so good about that.. isn't the SS much better if you don't have a keyboard?
Quote by Ortix
why does everyone sequence on the piano roll? What's so good about that.. isn't the SS much better if you don't have a keyboard?

sequencing drums on the piano roll imo is preferable as its a lot easier to change velocity and other things such as panning on drum hits and you can do more off beat or faster hits than the step sequencer would allow. also you can only program i also like the layout a little more.
Hmm sounds reasonable. I guess it's just what one is used to. I've been sequencing on the step sequencer for years now and I just see the drum patterns before I even plug them in, so it's just a matter of preference I guess.

BTW, I didn't get it to work yet. I didn't have the time to do so (exams )
Quote by Ortix
Hmm sounds reasonable. I guess it's just what one is used to. I've been sequencing on the step sequencer for years now and I just see the drum patterns before I even plug them in, so it's just a matter of preference I guess.

BTW, I didn't get it to work yet. I didn't have the time to do so (exams )

It took me a little while to switch from sequencer to piano roll
Ok it's fairly impossible to get this to work the way I want it to. I'll just get my midi keyboard asap
Yeah I'll try doing that first. It does kinda sound dull.. especially the snare and the kick. Should I crank those up to max velocity?
Quote by Ortix
Yeah I'll try doing that first. It does kinda sound dull.. especially the snare and the kick. Should I crank those up to max velocity?

Just see what works. Use different velocities for every hit