Hello. I have been playing guitar for several years, however, I have always shyed away from soloing because I am terrible at scales and lead. Does anyone know of a really good lesson that helps understand and use scales. I can even start from scratch to make sure I learn this properly.

Thanks for all help!
Learn some theory. A few places to go are www.justinguitar.com, www.musictheory.net, as well as the lessons and columns sections here on UG.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
If you're willing to start from scratch then that's great. What you want to do first is learn the note names on the guitar neck. This will make everything else fall into place much easier. This can be done relatively quickly if you just divide the neck into sections and create patterns with the notes. Once you've got em down you'll want to learn the major scale first as it's the foundational scale. Learn the notes in the scale and how the scale is formulated. This way you don't have to be bound by one position of the scale and can really play it anywhere on the neck. After the major scale you'll want to learn the minor scale and the minor pentatonic scales. Once you understand these scales and how they are built start improvising within the scales. Learn how each scale sounds then just hear what you want to play n your head and if you've learned the notes and scales properly- just playing it will be a breeze. If youd like more information and a more in depth explanation I wrote a lesson on How to Play A Guitar Solo over on EGR you should check out. Once all of this is natural to you just work on your phrasing skills. Listen to songs carefully. Analyze the phrasing and techniques implemented in your favorite tunes. Mimic then, mix and match and create your own personal sound.

Hope this helps,
Dev
Last edited by Deven_D at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by cjackson111
Hello. I have been playing guitar for several years, however, I have always shyed away from soloing because I am terrible at scales and lead. Does anyone know of a really good lesson that helps understand and use scales. I can even start from scratch to make sure I learn this properly.

Thanks for all help!

Step 1: Learn your scales. You can't use them if you don't know them. And by "knowing" I mean able to play them perfectly at a moderate tempo.
Quote by MatthiasYoung
Step 1: Learn your scales. You can't use them if you don't know them. And by "knowing" I mean able to play them perfectly at a moderate tempo.

I woudn't call that "knowing" a scale

Knowing a scale is knowing the sounds and notes it contains and understanding how it functions musically and how you can use it.

How fast you can play a scale is largely irrelevant, what really matters is simply whether you can use those notes in the context you want to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm not talking about actual application of a scale, as that is secondary. Can you play it? It's the first basic step.