So, after almost 8 months in college without my amp I've come to realise that my JSX is a bit to big for my needs even when I'm home. So, I'm thinking of selling it as I'm not getting great use from it. I'd hopefully be able to sell it for about €800 and then buy a smaller tube head.

So, has anyone got any opinions on this idea? Would it be worth buying a smaller head for €800 or can I get something of pretty high quality for a lower price allowing me to satisfy my possible case of new gear addiction.

As it says in my link I'm playing through a Harley Benton G212 vintage (a front loaded 2x12 cab with celestion vintage 30's). I want something very versatile as I play everything from Slipknot, BTBAM, Green Day, Joe Pass etc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it's the 100W head, not the combo.
Last edited by conor-figgy at Apr 6, 2012,
Oh, Ireland!

That's sounds so beautiful!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Oh, Ireland!

That's sounds so beautiful!

Dammit I knew I forgot something. Sorry, my bad. Yes I'm in Ireland so that means my market is relatively limited.
The day after you do it you'll get a gig offer with some drummer that makes King Kong look like a spider monkey.
Don't do it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Do you need something physically smaller, or something quieter? Because a lower wattage amp will not necessarily be quieter.

If volume is an issue, you could get something like a Vypyr Tube. They have amazing volume control (rather than tube amps' habit of jumping from whisper to earth rattling).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
The day after you do it you'll get a gig offer with some drummer that makes King Kong look like a spider monkey.
Don't do it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

This. Plus, the JSX sounds fine at bedroom levels, and considering the music you play, you're not going to do much better within your budget.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Ah, well this is a surprise I must say. I wanted to go smaller as I've never actually been able to crank my amp and as I said, it's been neglected. Therefore I was thinking of buying a smaller ~30W head for ~400 and then an interface for when I'm in college.

Now, sorry about this but I've seen contradictory statements in the above posts.

Cathbard you're saying that it's better for me to keep a bigger amp just in case I get a gig with a maniacal drummer.
Offworld92, you're saying that a lower wattage doesn't necessarily mean quiter.
So, err, which one is right?