I always loved the Tacoma guitars, and now, for the first time in years, I'm in a position to get a nice one- used, of course.

The seller- a retailer who is not GC- said of the guiitar that its only real flaw was "The bridge is lifting slightly on the treble side..." Everything else was cosmetics.

This was a $700 guitar at one point. They're asking just over $300 + shipping. Others of the same model I've seen were closer to $400...or more. Still other different Tacoma models are even more expensive.

So, should I risk it and get the bridge repaired when it's in my hands, or should I pass on it, spend the extra $$$, and get one without a lifting bridge? Or what?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 7, 2012,
Can you fix it?

If not, how much will it cost to have someone else fix it?

If the bridge is lifting on one side, this is something that needs to be addressed. Your $300 guitar could end up costing you more than $700.
I don't have the skills, but my FLMS has an excellent guy doing repairs.

But that is exactly my concern. I have no idea how expensive that kind of repair runs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Factor in the cost of the guitar plus shipping. Then, allow up to $300 for a bridge repair and set. FWIW, Ed Roman charges $270 for a bridge repair and set on an acoustic. Just to repair the bridge is $225 in his shop.

Check with your local guy and ask him what he'll charge to fix it. If you're really lucky, it may be even less. Factor in all of your costs and decide if it's worth it.
Thanks- sounds like a plan!

In related news, it look like GC's website has 2 of this model in their system- one for @$450 and another for just over $800. I can guess as to the reasons why one is more expensive (better woods on that particular one), but I'm not sure if it actually exists or not. I can't find it by searching their site, only by doing a search with a search engine, so it might be an Internet artifact- a dead page. It did let me put it in a cart, though...

Quote by dannyalcatraz

The seller- a retailer who is not GC- said of the guiitar that its only real flaw was "The bridge is lifting slightly on the treble side..." Everything else was cosmetics
I'm going to suggest that the bridge lifting could possibly be connected to issues with the soundboard bracing. Hidden damage, possibly? My reasoning is, if one glue joint has failed, there could be others. Something to think about anyway.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
In related news, it look like GC's website has 2 of this model in their system- one for @$450 and another for just over $800. I can guess as to the reasons why one is more expensive (better woods on that particular one)...[ ]...

http://www.tacomaguitars.com/ Do some research.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 7, 2012,
Been there- all I get is a page "Tacoma: We're seasoning the wood" with no visible links.

I used to go there all the time pre-Fender- hell- I had to analyze their business model a decade ago (one of the reasons I wanted one, actually)- so I know that there was some variation within model lines.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Been there- all I get is a page "Tacoma: We're seasoning the wood" with no visible links.
Sorry, didn't realize the link was blind. Fender gave them a "time out", maybe!

At this point, standard UG operating procedure would be to suggest a Seagull...
I'm a big fan of Seagulls as well- looking at getting one of their 12s maybe- but Tacomas are a brand I fell in love with back in the 1990s. I wanted one when I got my first good guitar (a used Ovation, which I still have and love), but didn't have the $$$ for one back then. And shortly thereafter, I couldn't find them anywhere.

So every once in a while, I check to see if I can find one in decent condition that is also affordable, and so far, I,ve been out of luck. I mean, I keep finding high-end beauts like a $2k+ beaut on eBay , but that's more than I want to spend right now. Even though I want to get a baritone (or 2 or 3...) at some point, and most of my guitars are in a similar price range, I'm not in a position to spend like that right at this moment.

For what it's worth, I would not recommend buying that Tacoma, sorry.

Don't buy yourself a problem. You could dump a lot of time and energy into that guitar and still ALWAYS secretly think it "just doesn't sound right."

PS. Re-read what Cranky said.
Yeah- thanks everyone! I'm passing on the Tacoma "Narrows Bridge" guitar, and will enquire about the ones at GC.