I'm planning to carve a 1pc Strat neck in the near future (expect a thread on it when I start ) but I'm having trouble tracking down the piece I want to use. UG Builders: where can I order a piece of curly/flamed/tiger maple that's worth a damn? I've been watching eBay religiously for a few weeks and very few pieces would make a nice neck.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I picked my maple up from Northwest Timber, they have photos of each piece on their website so you know what you're getting. Not cheap mind (especially when you ship it to NZ), but what you see is what you get. Plus it's salvaged, so you can still sleep at night.
Wow that stuff from NW is very expensive for what you're getting. Their stuff priced around $100 is what you can find in local lumber yards for around 5 bucks a board foot. Thanks for the suggestion though.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I didn't look at neck timber there, it may well be more expensive. I bought a spalted maple carve-top blank from there late last year and it was pretty reasonably priced I thought - the main perk for me was international shipping. Being the the States though, you may find a better deal for yourself somewhere else.
just dig through a good lumber yard. I pick up maple for 1.99 a board foot at my place. Theres usually some figured woods in the pile, as a rule of thumb the lumber for a neck shouldnt be over like 4 dollars.
I wound up buying a nicely figured board for $45 shipped online, I have enough material for 5 neck blanks with room to spare. Thanks though!
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I got my flame maple from www.woodworkerssource.com

They keep 3A (and lower) in stock and will occasionally put up a really nice 5A in the One of A Kind section.
Last edited by Seref at Apr 11, 2012,