there seems to be an ever growing trend of stupid band names, i mean most of them are annoying indie hipsters, but it seems that this trend is flowing into rock as well.

portugal the man
elizabeth and the catapults
foster the people
we are augustines
akina adderley and the vintage playboys
the black and white years
com truise
duck fight goose
hes my brother shes my sister
i got you on tape
just a band - well no sh## sherlock
letting up despite great fauls
not in the face
of monsters and men
rosie and me
shout out out out out - seriously
talking to turtles
uncle bad touch
vhs or beta
alabama shakes
electric wire hustle
go back to the zoo
wheelchair sportscamp
you cant win charlie brown
dry the river
extra action marching band
the golden awesome
the good natured
the great lake swimmers
chrissy murderbot
pets with pets
pinky piglets
sister sparrow and the dirty birds
tea leaf green
cloud nothings
Chanteuse And The Crippled Claw
Drunken Sailor records
calling all asronauts
the wombats
rubblebucket
esben and the witch

i found most of them on the list for sxsw festival and theyre where a few good names on there but most of them where crap.
seriously most of them sound like they should be the house band on a kids show (especially the wombats, which is waht i initially thought they where) or they sound ike a joke name that a band would use as a cover name for a secret gig. i think and this goes back to another theeory i have about musical originality that with the amount of bands that have been formed since the creation of the "band" and the fact that bands are coming out at an exponential rate all the good names are being taken or is it more of a case of annoying indie hipster thinking it be cool to be called billy bob and the banana eaters. seriously where is the van halen, metallica, nirvana of these days
I think some of those are great.

Mind you this is coming from someone who uses the band name Mimic the French, which is as bad as the worst of them
The Beatles... horrible name
iwrestledabearonce
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Woodenbox with a Fistful of Fivers
How I Quit Crack
A Great Big Pile of Leaves
Right Away, Great Captain!
Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!
Moonmen on the Moon, Man
Cassetes Wont Listen
Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt
Unicycle Loves You
Wheelchair Sports Camp
Boy & Bear

if you think these arent stupid then im afraid the truth is that you are stupid.

metallica was good a single word to define what the band is about, not these long winded non sectors, i mean rage against the machine even sounds stupid to me but it works because it isnt entirely stupid, i mean they could of called themselves the angry people who rage against the machines, but they simplified it and it still conveys a strong image. and even coldplay conveys a strong image that doesnt have an agrresive tone.
Last edited by nqcowboy87 at Apr 7, 2012,
Unicycle Loves You may be the best name ever
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by nqcowboy87
there seems to be an ever growing trend of stupid band names, i mean most of them are annoying indie hipsters, but it seems that this trend is flowing into rock as well.

portugal the man
elizabeth and the catapults
foster the people
we are augustines
akina adderley and the vintage playboys
the black and white years
com truise
duck fight goose
hes my brother shes my sister
i got you on tape
just a band - well no sh## sherlock
letting up despite great fauls
not in the face
of monsters and men
rosie and me
shout out out out out - seriously
talking to turtles
uncle bad touch
vhs or beta
alabama shakes
electric wire hustle
go back to the zoo
wheelchair sportscamp
you cant win charlie brown
dry the river
extra action marching band
the golden awesome
the good natured
the great lake swimmers
chrissy murderbot
pets with pets
pinky piglets
sister sparrow and the dirty birds
tea leaf green
cloud nothings
Chanteuse And The Crippled Claw
Drunken Sailor records
calling all asronauts
the wombats
rubblebucket
esben and the witch

i found most of them on the list for sxsw festival and theyre where a few good names on there but most of them where crap.
seriously most of them sound like they should be the house band on a kids show (especially the wombats, which is waht i initially thought they where) or they sound ike a joke name that a band would use as a cover name for a secret gig. i think and this goes back to another theeory i have about musical originality that with the amount of bands that have been formed since the creation of the "band" and the fact that bands are coming out at an exponential rate all the good names are being taken or is it more of a case of annoying indie hipster thinking it be cool to be called billy bob and the banana eaters. seriously where is the van halen, metallica, nirvana of these days

Sooooo, good band name, go! Lets hear it?
I'm an asshole.
So like, what's up with all these shitty usernames, nqcowboy87 srsly? That's the best you got? I suppose we can't expect more out of a mid twenties football fan.
I'm an asshole.
Also TS you have terrible taste in music... shut the **** up until you learn not to suck... people who listen to Metallica aren't allowed to complain about anything.. BECAUSE THEY SUCK.

edit: seriously, reevaluate all of your opinions based around music, because I assure you they're wrong, and just affirm your suckage.
I'm an asshole.
Last edited by lookpizza at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by nqcowboy87
Woodenbox with a Fistful of Fivers
How I Quit Crack
A Great Big Pile of Leaves
Right Away, Great Captain!
Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!
Moonmen on the Moon, Man
Cassetes Wont Listen
Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt
Unicycle Loves You
Wheelchair Sports Camp
Boy & Bear

if you think these arent stupid then im afraid the truth is that you are stupid.

metallica was good a single word to define what the band is about, not these long winded non sectors, i mean rage against the machine even sounds stupid to me but it works because it isnt entirely stupid, i mean they could of called themselves the angry people who rage against the machines, but they simplified it and it still conveys a strong image. and even coldplay conveys a strong image that doesnt have an agrresive tone.

Wow. Don't judge a band by their name, do it by whether or not the music is good. You know what I think their music conveys? Musicians who just like to have fun with music, and don't really need a defining label for what they do. You're missing out on....TONS of great music if you judge by names. It's similar to a child in a store screaming for that one piece of candy that he wants just because it's the only one he's ever had, even when there are tons of better candies around.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by nqcowboy87
i think and this goes back to another theeory i have about musical originality that with the amount of bands that have been formed since the creation of the "band" and the fact that bands are coming out at an exponential rate all the good names are being taken or is it more of a case of annoying indie hipster thinking it be cool to be called billy bob and the banana eaters. seriously where is the van halen, metallica, nirvana of these days
I think that's exactly it. If you come up with something random, strange, and funny, it's less likely to be taken. Hell, Nirvana and Skid Row were taken when those bands first started out.
Porcupine Tree sounds like an indie hipster band...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Those aren't that bad though. They could be a lot worse. I mean, most of those don't have anything on the ones from the blog I made listing awful band names I've come up with.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I agree. Most band names nowadays either try to sound "funny" or sound obnoxious.
Portugal has some ****ed up band names... one name that always come to mind is Pearl Jam and The Smashing Pumpkins, horrible names great bands!
Quote by punkforlife93
If you like Van Halen, and not as a guilty pleasure, your right to an opinion should be revoked.

i havent listened to any of these bands some of them are probably pretty good and some of them are probably in my opinion crap, im not calling out their music im calling out the utter silliness of their names, it shouldnt matter that i like van halen or metallica. if van halen was called van halen and the fantastical van halen experience id still say good band, shit name.

and i meant to say sequitur
A lot of band names are bad until they become famous. :]

but yeah I dislike a lot of those.
I think Cloud Nothings is alright, but it'd sound a lot better if it was just Cloud Nothing.

I think the worst name I've ever had was by some random generic alt. rock group called Hoobastank.

..Hoobastank....

I've definitely heard groups that had names I liked though.
Yeah its' stupid names by bands trying to be ironic that piss me off. The same goes for bands with stupid band logos.
lol why yes, I like your band's name!

In high school I knew some guys in a group called "rubberband"
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Rubberband is fantastic.

Band names suck, and then you are one.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
lame band names suck

my skapunk band is the chunky spelunkers top that
It's really easy to make these band names. My favorite:

Who Cares About Alaska? I Care About Alaska! (Said The White Winter.)

See?