Poll: When it comes to a Les Paul, should I..
Poll Options
View poll results: When it comes to a Les Paul, should I..
Go all the way?
34 81%
Cheap out?
8 19%
Voters: 42.
Long story short, I love the Les Paul sound. There's something about it that always keeps me coming back for more, though I'll contend that they're overpriced and that there are a lot of really nice guitars out there for less.

I've played quite a few genuine Les Pauls, but have only had "copies" in my possession. Epiphones and a few other off-brand Les Pauls where I usually addressed any shortcomings through upgrading. They played great and sounded good, but I never had the "real McCoy" there to A/B them.

I think for me to go out and buy a standard or traditional pro like I want is a lot of money to spend for someone just playing at home, but maybe not. Is it worth going all the way on this (is there that much of a difference in sound quality), or should I "cheap out" yet again and go for an LTD EC-1000 or something?
Quote by Shadow Eternal
Long story short, I love the Les Paul sound. There's something about it that always keeps me coming back for more, though I'll contend that they're overpriced and that there are a lot of really nice guitars out there for less.

I've played quite a few genuine Les Pauls, but have only had "copies" in my possession. Epiphones and a few other off-brand Les Pauls where I usually addressed any shortcomings through upgrading. They played great and sounded good, but I never had the "real McCoy" there to A/B them.

I think for me to go out and buy a standard or traditional pro like I want is a lot of money to spend for someone just playing at home, but maybe not. Is it worth going all the way on this (is there that much of a difference in sound quality), or should I "cheap out" yet again and go for an LTD EC-1000 or something?

despite appearance, the EC1000 and any LP couldn't be much more different. they are no similar than a strat to a tele in reality. don't sound remotely the same, feel completely different, different neck profiles, etc.

if you cheap out go to the ESP version.

however i would get the Gibson Les Paul, i own two and am very happy with both of them as well as all of my other gibsons.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would suggest getting a Tokai Les Paul copy. They are made in Japan, and about half the price of an actual Gibson. To be honest, most of those actually are better quality than a Les Paul. http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=39&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

I'd go for one of those before I would touch an ESP or Epiphone.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Two points to be made:
1) Never spend beyond your means. There's no point splashing out on a great guitar if it means you're going to struggle to buy food and pay the rent for the next six months.
2) If need be, wait and save up. Electric guitars are not going to vanish off the face of the Earth overnight. There's no reason that you absolutely most buy a guitar immediately.

If you buy something cheap you'll still want the really nice Les Paul. You'll still end up buying it further down the road. Buying something now to fill in will only postpone your purchase of the guitar you really want and in the end it'll be time and money wasted.

It is always cheaper and quicker overall to wait, save and buy the guitar you really want. Buy it when you're in a position to spend that sort of money comfortably. That way you shouldn't leave yourself broke and you'll get the guitar you've always wanted first time around.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
go all the way. You will end up with a guitar you can be proud of for years and years.
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
Go all the way but make sure you try before you buy. If you try to make a compromise and get a guitar you don't really want, you'll regret it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you can get a nice used one, they're usually cheaper than a new one and just as good or better. I'd always check the used market first. Who knows, you might get someone who doesn't know what he's doing and get a bargain.

If you do go used, though, always call the person selling and ask if you can come try it out. They will usually let you - In fact, if they don't, don't bother buying from them.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Apr 7, 2012,
Go ahead and buy the Les Paul that makes you happy.

For some people an Agile or Epiphone is enough, for others "real" Les Pauls start with the Custom Shop reissues.

I'd personally be happy with a 50's Tribute Goldtop or something, another guy won't be happy unless he has a custom built '59 reissue. It's all up to you.

Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
as always, this is a question that only you can answer having played a variety of guitars that you actually have the opportunity to buy.... by this, i mean that you could have an awesome epiphone les paul custom in your local shop and compare it to an average gibson les paul.
i am fortunate enough to have both a gibson les paul studio and an epiphone les paul custom.... now, i got the gibson first as i really REALLY wanted my les paul to have gibson written on the headstock (lol) and don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic guitar, despite it being a 'low end' gibson. but then i got my epiphone les paul custom and that rapidly became my favourite guitar because it feels and plays so nicely!
now i realise i shouldn't compare the studio to the custom, but the point i'm making is that it's the guitar in your hands that speaks to you to tell you which is right for YOU, not the print on the headstock. naturally, i'd imagine that if i were to compare my Epiphone custom to the gibson custom, my opinion may change, but i payed £220 for my custom second hand as opposed to 2 grand or whatever for a gibson one?
in summary.... go and play a few and get what feels right, but as others have said, if you have your heart set on the genuine expensive model, you won't be disappointed and i would say it's more of an investment too?

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
If I were you, I would go to a guitar store with a friend (someone who you trust) and ask them to blindfold you, and then play a high end Gibson LP and a lower end model, like an Epiphone. Then guess which is which, and how much they would be. If the difference in price is more than you thought it would be just by playing, it might be worth considering getting the cheaper one. Likewise, that Gibson could be cheaper than you think it sounds.
if you cheap out now, regret will win out in the end.

save up, it's worth it.

that said, it doesn't matter if you only play at home, if you enjoy it, there is no reason not to own a nice guitar.
Quote by Shadow Eternal
1. is a lot of money to spend for someone just playing at home,

2. Is it worth going all the way on this

1. So what, you play at home? If you eat at home do you just eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and save the steaks for when you go out to eat? You play music at home, why can't you play on the best guitar you can afford? Do you think Les Pauls are only for the Madison Square Garden stage?

2. Yes, it is worth going all the way and buy the best guitar out there, and economics have something to do with why. If you buy a nice Epi Les Paul, one that you really have no problem with, you will still say, "Man, I should have just saved up and got what I really wanted, the real deal, a Gibson Les Paul." Then one day you will buy a Gibson Les Paul and now that Gibson Les Paul would have cost you more because you have to factor in the cost of the Epi Les Paul. So, eventually you lose when you buy a cheap model of something you really want.

Here's my two Gretsches. I first bought a $600 5120 model because I thought it would satisfy my longing for a White Falcon. Well, of course it didn't, I eventually got my Falcon...but it cost me $600 more because I bought the 5120!

By the way, I play at home, too, and that didn't stop me from buying the Cadillac of all guitars, the super expensive Gretsch White Falcon. Whether you play at home or you play at Madison Square Garden, you should play what you really like. You're only here once. You want to spend that time playing an Epiphone or a Gibson Les Paul?

I'd compromise by selling gear you don't want, saving, and buying used. Use the time it takes to scrape the money together to scour all over for the best deal on a standard or trad pro.
honestly, nothing will even get you close. sure some will try, but im taking this same journey myself, looking into a les paul classic plus ( i think). ive played/heard some agiles, and some epiphones, but god damit when i plugged in that les paul at samash today, it was a whole notha thing.

sell some gear, go out and get that guit
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Well, seems like the overwhelming majority are saying it's worth it in the long run. Guitar is definitely a hobby I don't see myself ever giving up, even if I don't do more than jam with a few buddies in the future. To that extent I can definitely see why it's worth getting a Gibson. If I just get the real deal to begin with I won't ever have to buy another guitar (of that type, anyway). It'll keep me happy for years and years to come I'm sure.

Thanks guys, I'm going to start saving up now. It'll take a bit longer but I can see now why it's worth doing in the first place. I'll definitely try as many different Les Pauls as I can too, until I find the one that's right for me.
Quote by griffin888
Get what you want

as long as you can afford it.

I learned never to cheap out the hard way......now I have quite a bit of gear I never use.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
obviously you want a genuine les paul really badly, so one would assume that eventually you're going to get one, so instead of wasting money on other guitars to try and fill that void, just keep saving and treat yourself to a real one man
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W