it was during a lesson that my student (older gentlemen) left his guitar on the stand, i asked if i could look at it, and it felt nothing like my MIM strat at all. he has big fingers (as do i but i have very long fingers) and is having the problem with some chords. then i go to play a chord on his and it feels like everything is squashed up by the nut. i was thinking to myself damn that makes it a lot more difficult. he is around his fifth or sixth week, and doing quite well.

i then handed him my Ibanez 3550MZ Prestige and he had no problem with the chords. i know its a very different guitar, but could that just be the nut width and radius being the different?

any similar experiences? mainly interested with affiniy to MIM.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The affinities have a 1 5/8" nut (about 41mm), so they're very narrow. The MIM's (at least modern ones, I dunno about old ones) have 42mm nuts which are a bit wider.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.