I'm a guitar player and honestly don't know much about basses. I am currently doing studio work and have been using a synthesized bass guitar in my mix. Although it sounds okay and most people can't tell it's synthed, it would sound many times better with a real bass. So, I sold some crap and got a job and now I have enough to buy a new one, yay! I'm recording metal and I'm using Peavey 6505 head and Marshall 1960a cab. My guitars are a PRS Custom 24 on the left and a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR on the right. Just saying in case this information somehow helps you guys help me

But anyway, I'm trying to decide between these two beauties.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass-V-5-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-H75825-i2000737.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Stiletto-Custom-5-Bass-103123600-i1147948.gc

From what I've heard, they are both excellent bass guitars. However, I want THE right one. I will be tuning the one I get to C#, F#, B, E, G# using the string gauges of .100, .080, .065, .045, and .032 respectively so I gotta be able to have a bass that can handle that and give me a nice metal tone that can also cut through the mix.

If you guys know of any other bass that would be good for this, please suggest it as well. My budget is somewhere between 200 USD and 300 USD but I'm sure I can find any bass in a 500 USD range for a whole lot cheaper in used condition.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Last edited by xlRainlx at Apr 7, 2012,
The Schecter in this case will get you the better tone. It is made to tune down really with that extra inch, the humbuckers/EQ will very easily get you a chunky metal tone. The jazz bass is more of an all purpose instrument, it could do the job but it won't necessarily be the best.
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
Quote by sfedf1
The Schecter in this case will get you the better tone. It is made to tune down really with that extra inch, the humbuckers/EQ will very easily get you a chunky metal tone. The jazz bass is more of an all purpose instrument, it could do the job but it won't necessarily be the best.

This basically sums everything up. I'd choose the jazz if you plan to expand to more than just metal, but if all you're going to do is metal then I'd take the schecter.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
You'll need to get a bass amp or at least a bass cabinet if you plan on micing it though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Alright cool! Thanks for the tips. By the way, I'm actually gonna be running this through my Line 6 POD Farm 2.5. I know it may not be as good as a bass cab but I know for a fact that I can get a great tone with direct line too.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Going to go out on a limb and disagree with the above posts. Personally I'd go with the Jazz still, but that's because I love jazz basses. I disagree with the whole "purpose instrument" argument. Just because a jazz is capable of playing just about any genre of music in the world doesn't mean that it's a jack of all trades/master of none sort of deal. They can still produce absolutely fantastic tones for many different genres, and there's no such thing as the "best" tone anyway - tone is subjective, remember? I've had some absolutely fantastic tones for metal out of jazz basses in the past.

I've found all the Schecters I've played to be a bit lackluster really. Fairly sterile, nearly always sounded far too scooped even with the EQ set flat, didn't play too great and had a fairly obvious looking scarf joint in the back of the neck which I always find off-putting.

Play them and make your own mind up. That's always the best thing to do in these situations. You can spend all day reading peoples opinions and descriptions on the internet only to pick them up and found that the one you thought you were going to like based on that actually feels awful in your hands.

Oh, I'd also recommend upping the string gauge a fair bit for those tunings. I'd suggest 110/90/70/55 or something of the sort. 100/80/60/40 is a slightly light gauge even when tuning to standard... the standard for standard tuning is 105/85/65/45.
I've just bought an Affinity Jazz Bass V new from GAK (UK) for £210GBP.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Ziphoblat
Going to go out on a limb and disagree with the above posts. Personally I'd go with the Jazz still, but that's because I love jazz basses. I disagree with the whole "purpose instrument" argument. Just because a jazz is capable of playing just about any genre of music in the world doesn't mean that it's a jack of all trades/master of none sort of deal. They can still produce absolutely fantastic tones for many different genres, and there's no such thing as the "best" tone anyway - tone is subjective, remember? I've had some absolutely fantastic tones for metal out of jazz basses in the past.

I've found all the Schecters I've played to be a bit lackluster really. Fairly sterile, nearly always sounded far too scooped even with the EQ set flat, didn't play too great and had a fairly obvious looking scarf joint in the back of the neck which I always find off-putting.

Play them and make your own mind up. That's always the best thing to do in these situations. You can spend all day reading peoples opinions and descriptions on the internet only to pick them up and found that the one you thought you were going to like based on that actually feels awful in your hands.

Oh, I'd also recommend upping the string gauge a fair bit for those tunings. I'd suggest 110/90/70/55 or something of the sort. 100/80/60/40 is a slightly light gauge even when tuning to standard... the standard for standard tuning is 105/85/65/45.

Unfortunately, the guitar center in my location doesn't have either bass in stock so there is no way I can try them out. That is the reason why I came here asking for your opinions.

I really am leaning more towards the Jazz because I think it would be the most cost effective plus I just lost out on a deal with a Schecter for 250 haha. I just don't wanna end up going through basses like how I went through guitars to finally get the right one. My main concern though is that the Jazz might not intonate well. As for string gauge, I will definitely up the gauge.

On a side note, I also found this in my area....
http://ventura.craigslist.org/msg/2939219286.html

What do you guys think?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
A VM/CV Squier will be at least as well made (and consequently intonate at least just as well as a Schecter). I wouldn't expect any issues in getting a great set up out of one. They're miles ahead of affinity Squiers in terms of quality.
Quote by Ziphoblat
A VM/CV Squier will be at least as well made (and consequently intonate at least just as well as a Schecter). I wouldn't expect any issues in getting a great set up out of one. They're miles ahead of affinity Squiers in terms of quality.

agreed. plus, having tried Mexican fenders in stores, i have to say, they are not too similar, but i'd choose a VM squier everyday. so, for me, thay are proven quality.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by Ziphoblat

Well I've just gigged my Affinity Jazz Bass V for the first time last night, my G&L L2500 stayed in its gig bag.
I've sold my MM Stingray 5 to a guy in France.
I was thinking of fitting a J-Retro active kit to the Affinity but last night changed my mind, I don't need it although the edge dressing on a couple of frets needs looking into. I've set up the action (which was higer than I prefer) and intonation and found it spot on all down the neck.
Down the years I've owned:-
1962 Hohner from new
Two 1962 Burns Split Sound 6 string Basses one from new
1965 Fender Jazz Bass from new
1999 MM Stingray 5 from new
Mexican Precision from new
G&L L2500 Tribute from new
G&L L2500 from new
Affinity Jazz Bass V from new for the princely sum of £210 GBP $315 USD.

So I think I'd spot a duff bass.

I play through an Ashdown RPM1 Preamp into an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 and finaly into a 1x15 cab loaded with an Eminence 450 watt Neo. which jandles the low 'B' with ease
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^ I started on an affinity and it was a great bass, I regret selling it. Equally, I've played some bad ones. I don't think there's anything wrong with a decent one, but they can have some QC issues and as such people sometimes have low expectations of Squiers.
Quote by Ziphoblat
^ I started on an affinity and it was a great bass, I regret selling it. Equally, I've played some bad ones. I don't think there's anything wrong with a decent one, but they can have some QC issues and as such people sometimes have low expectations of Squiers.

I think that you've nailed it there.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn