Page 1 of 3
I'm a big fan of Strat shape body guitars and superstrats. Tele's are everything opposite of what I'd need from a guitar. I don't really like the look and feel of them, but for some crazy unexplainable reason , I have this supernatural attraction to old vintage style Teles. I guess it's just a classic case of nostalgia. But I just gotta have a Tele, even though musically, it's not exactly the right guitar for me.
Because they're one of the few combinations of materials, electronics, hardware and construction that is suitable for every single style of music. And it looks far cooler to solo on a Tele than any other guitar. That is why you want one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well, I like Tele's because they're just so versatile, you can play just about anything on a tele with the 2 pickups it has, you can go from smooth rhythm tones to really hot sharp leads with a stock tele, so there's that appeal. Tele's also feel sturdier to me, since you've got the no nonsense plank o' wood approach, and the metal hardware, so those are my reasons why I love mine.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
I used to think they were the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but now I think they look soo sexy. I tried an American tele a while back, sounded amazing clean and played really nicely and now i'm craving to get one myself!

I still think the headstock is pretty fugly though and I'd prefer a big ass CBS strat style headstock.
I had the same thing as you, i was looking at getting a new guitar and teles just looked so awesome, but when then when i actually tried one in the store it just didnt feel right, just not for me so i ended up pith an SG instead. i still think they sound beautiful and look sexy as **** though. Might give one another try someday
Quote by T00NES
I'm a big fan of Strat shape body guitars and superstrats. Tele's are everything opposite of what I'd need from a guitar. I don't really like the look and feel of them, but for some crazy unexplainable reason , I have this supernatural attraction to old vintage style Teles. I guess it's just a classic case of nostalgia. But I just gotta have a Tele, even though musically, it's not exactly the right guitar for me.

Man's guitars, simple as, as a design they're about as straightforward as an electric guitar can be. There's nowhere to hide with a Tele, no flashy hardware or finishes (usually, admittedly you can get some very pretty Teles now), lots of straight edges. Their stripped down nature means there's something very immediate and visceral about playing a tele, especially with that unmistakeable clang that comes from the bridge pickup.

My first guitar was a Squier tele and I didn't really like it, took me a long time to properly appreciate them. I currently have major gas for a 62 reissue with the mint green scratchplate and binding....

Learning to appreciate the Telecaster marks a guitarist's coming-of-age.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I had the same stuff. They are pretty nice guitars and you like it's unusual look. But well, I'd rather buy a LP.
The middle position on a telecaster is something which is quite unique and has a lovely sound which for me sums up the telecaster. As its been said, its a "man's guitar" and has a simple but wide variety of sounds from a block of swamp ash and a maple neck.

Easy to build one too, compared to other guitars. You can build a telecaster with a standard drill, some measuring equipment and a screwdriver. Its like guitar lego, and hell, everyone loves lego.
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
it's a plank with some necessary stuff bolted onto it, that simply does the job very well - what's not to like?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I've been asking myself the same thing for the last few days.

When I was a kid my uncle had this Hohner Prince signature Telecaster and I thought nothing of it. The body didn't appeal to me at all(didn't think it was ugly though) and I never really appreciated it. But now as I've grown older, I seem to be drawn more and more to the Telecaster body and for the last days I've had the biggest GAS I've ever had in my life!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-american-deluxe-telecaster-ash-electric-guitar

The butterscotch blonde is to die for! IT SHALL BE MINE!!! ...and I haven't even played it! But it says C shaped neck, and if that's anything like my Strat, well, lovely!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
I wasn't a Fender fan at all before playing some Fender guitars.
However, even before playing just one real Fender, even cheap Fender copies (Harley Bentons to be more specific) always felt 'right' to me.

My Tele-GAS was started by this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNV_jCF0Cw

And I want an SH-Tele ever since.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Because it was designed to get the job done and that's what it does. Whatever that job is, with the right amp, it could probably do it. It's a no thrills, working mans guitar. And Telecasters have something about them. They only look good on some people. Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen... They are classy guitars, despite being basic.
Quote by drying out

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-american-deluxe-telecaster-ash-electric-guitar

The butterscotch blonde is to die for! IT SHALL BE MINE!!! ...and I haven't even played it! But it says C shaped neck, and if that's anything like my Strat, well, lovely!

This is cool! Sounds like Fender put it all together on this one. Ash, butterscotch, as traditional as possible while enhancing playability and string bending. Just what the Tele begs for - the compound radius and the locking tuners.

I wonder about the noiseless pickups? They sound really good and faithful to Tele tones in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3imbEHFuBjc

The price isn't too bad but I'd rather pay less. I wonder if Warmouth or other makes a neck like this?
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by Mars Rover
This is cool! Sounds like Fender put it all together on this one. Ash, butterscotch, as traditional as possible while enhancing playability and string bending. Just what the Tele begs for - the compound radius and the locking tuners.

I wonder about the noiseless pickups? They sound really good and faithful to Tele tones in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3imbEHFuBjc

The price isn't too bad but I'd rather pay less. I wonder if Warmouth or other makes a neck like this?

Yeah it sounds great in that clip!

Yeah 1750$ is pretty much, but then again, you are getting a high quality wood, a compund radius neck, locking tuners, and the s1 switching system.

You could definitely piece one together at Warmoth, I'm just too lazy for that you can even get a compound radius neck there, and if I'm not mistaken, the compound neck is originally a Warmoth invention!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Because they are the only good looking/good playing guitars with a bolt-on neck. And they look awesomer as they age.
There's a tonal quality in a Telecaster that's just impossible to get out of any other guitar. You can make it work for almost any genre.
Plus, they look... Dare I say it... Sexy.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by T00NES
I just gotta have a Tele, even though musically, it's not exactly the right guitar for me.

Unless you are playing some 17th century Lithuanian folk music, a Telecaster is right for anyone making music.

I just got a Tele last year and the only thing about it that angers me is that I didn't get one twenty years ago. Why the hell did I wait so long?! Incredible guitar.

Me too.... ask me 6 months ago if i wanted a tele and i would've shouted expletives at you about how ugly they are etc.... but then something happened.... i literally had a complete u turn almost over night and i had to have one!.... like you, it's not exactly in the same vain as any of my other guitars but i felt i NEEDED one amongst my collection, and this week i picked up my first tele! a squire classic vibe 50's... and you know what?.... it absolutely rocks! i love it! it's light, comfortable, awesome neck on it and it looks amazing (never thought i' say that)
in hindsight, i'm starting to think theres a guitarist conspiracy as it seems there's a lot of us out there who hated them but now love them?.... I've heard of tele brainwashing but i didn't think it meant this?

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
The telecaster sparkled in me after watching this movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfxpBYzyLo
Since then it started to grow and before I know it I already fallen in love with it. I guess it has something special that cannot be explained. Just like the Les Paul, aside from the sound it's bad ergonomics and uncomfortable but still I find it the sexiest guitar ever.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Apr 7, 2012,
My ESP Tele copy gets played more than most of my other electrics. It's a pretty faithful copy of an early 60s or late 50s Tele (3- saddle bridge, etc.) - except for the neck profile which is thinner - more like a Strat. Fender's clubby Tele neck feels good and I could probably get accustomed to it in a day or so but I was always concerned about switching back and forth from my other guitars and never being able to play the Tele well - so I never bought a Fender Tele. So the ESP is my Tele unless I find another with a neck I like. The ESP even has smaller vintage type frets and I still find that it's playability suits me well.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by Mars Rover
My ESP Tele copy gets played more than most of my other electrics. It's a pretty faithful copy of an early 60s or late 50s Tele (3- saddle bridge, etc.) - except for the neck profile which is thinner - more like a Strat. Fender's clubby Tele neck feels good and I could probably get accustomed to it in a day or so but I was always concerned about switching back and forth from my other guitars and never being able to play the Tele well - so I never bought a Fender Tele. So the ESP is my Tele unless I find another with a neck I like. The ESP even has smaller vintage type frets and I still find that it's playability suits me well.

Post pics of your Esp! Wish they still made em. They only make Strats now in their vintage line
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
Post pics of your Esp! Wish they still made em. They only make Strats now in their vintage line

If only it had a maple board

Teles are Fender's equivalent to the les paul imo. The tele bridge pickup is incredible, it's twangy and spanky when played clean, but it's incredibly fat and punchy when it's overdriven.
Quote by Mars Rover
If only it had a maple board

I don't know, I think it looks great! I think rosewood goes better with blacks than a maple.

What pickups are those?
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Because it was designed to get the job done and that's what it does. Whatever that job is, with the right amp, it could probably do it. It's a no thrills, working mans guitar. And Telecasters have something about them. They only look good on some people. Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen... They are classy guitars, despite being basic.

I'm going to see Bruce Springsteen live next week.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by drying out
I don't know, I think it looks great! I think rosewood goes better with blacks than a maple.

What pickups are those?

The bridge p/u is probably original and the neck is a Seymour Duncan STR-1 Vintage '54. I got the guitar cheap and I think one of the reasons was that the original pickup was very microphonic. It would feed back even on at low volume - but it sounded incredible until it howled. There are fans of microphonic pickups because some sound so sweet and complex - but I had to do something about this one. I wanted badly to keep the original so I tried to pot it myself and ended up screwing it up so I bought the Duncan.
The telecaster is the epitome of the working man's guitar.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my Tele, if it had reproductive parts I would make Telecaster babies with it......*cough* Mines a 72 Deluxe re-issue but I'm looking into a 60's classic series so I can get more of a twang.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by steven seagull

So true....I have an electric Turquios American Standard tele right now...omg..handles everything I throw at it with ease...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by JesusCrisp
I wasn't a Fender fan at all before playing some Fender guitars.
However, even before playing just one real Fender, even cheap Fender copies (Harley Bentons to be more specific) always felt 'right' to me.

My Tele-GAS was started by this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNV_jCF0Cw

And I want an SH-Tele ever since.

You have no idea what you just started...
OP, I get what you mean. I'm a dedicated fan of mahogany, maple and humbuckers. But I love tele's, how they play, how they sound, and especially how they look. And Thinlines with Fender humbuckers haves the best cleans.
One just has to love the twang, look, playability and the versatility.
It's pure rock and roll guitar. People often equate it with only country music, which is not nice. Numerous rock guitar god's uses one. For example Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, George Harrison, Keith Richards and Albert Järvinen. :P
Quote by MrFlibble
Because they're one of the few combinations of materials, electronics, hardware and construction that is suitable for every single style of music. And it looks far cooler to solo on a Tele than any other guitar. That is why you want one.

Any guitar can have any combination of materials, electronics, hardware and construction. You're gonna have to provide a specific example of one of those combinations that only a telecaster has that is so universal. I'm a little skeptical otherwise.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by steven seagull
Man's guitars, simple as, as a design they're about as straightforward as an electric guitar can be. There's nowhere to hide with a Tele, no flashy hardware or finishes (usually, admittedly you can get some very pretty Teles now), lots of straight edges. Their stripped down nature means there's something very immediate and visceral about playing a tele, especially with that unmistakeable clang that comes from the bridge pickup.

My first guitar was a Squier tele and I didn't really like it, took me a long time to properly appreciate them. I currently have major gas for a 62 reissue with the mint green scratchplate and binding....

B- But I love flashy finishes! But, really, I like anything with a flamed koa top. :P

OT: Yeah, I know that feel. I have one guitar that's even remotely Tele-esque in terms of shape too! That's me Carvin SC90. However, it's still nowhere near the same sound as a Tele.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Apr 8, 2012,
Page 1 of 3