Do you ever wonder what it would be like to live in a poor or corrupt country?

Page 1 of 3
I live in New Zealand. I'm lucky.

We are consistently rated among the highest in the Human Development Index, have a decent GDP per capita, and have the lowest rating of government corruption in the world. Literally all I have to complain about, is that instruments are very expensive here.

I've spent half of today just reading about things to do with this on the internet, and just wondering, imagine living in a place like Somalia? The government is corrupt and does nothing for the people, there is violence, and poverty everywhere. I'm just thinking about how different it would be there. It's actually crazy how different that sort of world is to ours (I'm assuming anyone reading this is lucky enough to be able to use a computer).

Does anyone else ever just think about that? Do you think that gap between countries will ever be closed?
I think about it. I'd be pretty hopeless in that situation. Maybe if the recession gets bad enough, we might see the same thing in "developed" countries. I don't know what I'll do then.
inb4 anyone from Finland or Aliguitarkid
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
It'll never get closed. Some countries will always be better off than others. I'm aware of what goes on as I collect a lot of press photography books and they have a fairly graphic window into the third world and the political and cultural differences present. A slightly macabre interest I know, but I want to know what goes on in the rest of the world. I'm just grateful that I have what I have.

Quote by sashki
I think about it. I'd be pretty hopeless in that situation. Maybe if the recession gets bad enough, we might see the same thing in "developed" countries. I don't know what I'll do then.
Even in recession, we are still pretty well off, really.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 7, 2012,
There's always corruption.
The difference is, that in developed nations, you have to be pretty rich to be directly involved; whereas in the poorer nations, even the lower tiers of civil servants will expect backhanders to actually do anything.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Psht. like that'll ever happen.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Philip_pepper
Fixed it for you mate.
You spelled "Wales" wrong: the jokes are there for a reason.

What do you call a sheep tied to a lamppost in Cardiff? A leisure center.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by Banjocal
You spelled "Wales" wrong: the jokes are there for a reason.

What do you call a sheep tied to a lamppost in Cardiff? A leisure center.

FYI, you spelled "Aberdeen" wrong there.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Are you implying there are countries which are not corrupt?

And who decides on the rate of government corruption?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
FYI, you spelled "Aberdeen" wrong there.

You spelt "Goldfishmoon's front yard" wrong
Quote by Banjocal
Some countries will always be better off than others.

Na I completely disagree with this. Even the poorest nations (Africa, parts of Asia) are making rapid, unprecedented improvements each day. They are developing at an alarming rate. The term "3rd world country" will, within the foreseeable future, become antiquated. Countries will more or less homogenize in terms of development, opportunities, and governance.

I would even argue that the nation-state is going to decline. A new, more pragmatic and effective system of coexistence will emerge. With that, the term "international" will also become antiquated.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
Na I completely disagree with this. Even the poorest nations (Africa, parts of Asia) are making rapid, unprecedented improvements each day. They are developing at an alarming rate. The term "3rd world country" will, within the foreseeable future, become antiquated. Countries will more or less homogenize in terms of development, opportunities, and governance.

I would even argue that the nation-state is going to decline. A new, more pragmatic and effective system of coexistence will emerge. With that, the term "international" will also become antiquated.

4/10
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Are you implying there are countries which are not corrupt?

And who decides on the rate of government corruption?

I see what you mean, but it's all relative. Compare the New Zealand government, with Somalia's. Just in terms of how much they try to provide for their population, how rampant bribery is etc. I'm not saying it's non existent here, but it's a pretty clear cut difference.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I see what you mean, but it's all relative. Compare New Zealand government, with Somalia's. Just in terms of how much they try to provide for their population, how rampant bribery is etc. I'm not saying it's non existent here, but it's a pretty clear cut difference.

Somalian pirates, weeeeee.
I already live in America.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Carnivean

"3rd world country" is already antiquated.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I have been to greece i know everything about poverty.

Sorry for Any spelling mistakes, typing from my New htc
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I have been to greece i know everything about poverty.

Sorry for Any spelling mistakes, typing from my New htc

And Greece is still not an underdeveloped country when compared to most African countries. Not even close.
Quote by Carnivean

1 you are wrong. There will always be cores and peripheries because that is the most efficiënt set up.
2 there are Just a few countries that are developing in africa, though at extremely high rates. These growth rates are however caused by the high prices for resources and are not sustainable. Furthermore the allocation of this money is a point of concern. It all goes to the rich not to the poor.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Furthermore the allocation of this money is a point of concern. It all goes to the rich not to the poor.

I never imagined this was a concern for you

OT: I imagine shit sucks.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
I want to live in a remote fishing village. Wake up early, take the canoes out to the ocean, catch fish for 2-3 hours, bring the haul back to town and shoot the shit or play an acoustic guitar while the women prepare it.

None of this 9-5 bullshit.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I want to live in a remote fishing village. Wake up early, take the canoes out to the ocean, catch fish for 2-3 hours, bring the haul back to town and shoot the shit or play an acoustic guitar while the women prepare it.

None of this 9-5 bullshit.

In North Korea, you could do all of that, except in stead of fishing, you would starve to death.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Bushinarin
In North Korea, you could do all of that, except in stead of fishing, you would starve to death.

Sounds fucking lovely
Quote by Bushinarin

Our Leader would never let me starve to death, his compassion for his people is too great.
Well considering the states owes everyone specially china up the ass, I guess were poor.
And ya...corruption that so doesnt happen here at all. nope.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by VillainousLatin
I live in Puerto Rico my friend, I do not wonder what it's like, I know what it's like.

You're a territory, besides, the States already kinda owns you

Saddle up, 51st it's a wild ride.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
You're a territory, besides, the States already kinda owns you

Saddle up, 51st it's a wild ride.

Rick Santorum said they can't be a state until they learn to speak some English.
Quote by leeb rocks
I never imagined this was a concern for you

OT: I imagine shit sucks.

I just wrote down what one of my professors said this week. He had done some research about it. I don't really care who the money goes to but it is something to consider when you think Africa is finally "growing".
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Apr 7, 2012,
Yes, I do think about it. Being in some of the remote parts of Aghanistan/that part of the world makes me thankful I was born in a place that isn't shitty.
My God, it's full of stars!
Page 1 of 3